Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 13, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #15,871 of 42,759
i personally feel that with some devices the difference is big, with some it is not.

I understand the skepticism. I was too, until I heard it. But I would recommend that you try it for yourself, that's the only way to figure out if it makes a difference for YOU, which is what's most important. x RELIC x also was a strong opponent of the idea of transports making a difference, not believing it at first (as I did not), but he has since experienced otherwise and has eaten his words :p (just kidding relic :p)

But yes, do try it for yourself and you will be able to answer that question :)
hey bud. I had the mojo and could hear zero difference out of my phone compared to my hifimediy dac and cayin c5, I dont think my hearing is that discernible unfortunately lol.

You read the awesome comments on here and im like, I need to have these sonic experiences too lol.

I am interested in the new audioquest dragonfly red dac to see how that fairs to my current set up. Also like the look of the onkyo dap and questyle dap. Awesome reading about peoples wow moments with the mojo

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #15,872 of 42,759
Mojo's battery is actually about 14Wh - Watt hours - is a better measure of battery capacity, as Mojo has two cells with a max total voltage of 8.4v. Your 5000mAh external battery is maybe only 18.5 Wh (assuming it is a single cell), and when you figure in inefficiencies in power delivery, you will need more than 18.5 Wh from a portable battery to fully recharge Mojo. 10000mAh single cell should be fine.

As other posters have said, 1A is min, 2A is fine but Mojo will not charge any faster. I have controlled the charge time for thermal reasons.

Rob

Finally we have Mojo battery spec!
Thanks Rob.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mojo would be perfect if it wasn't prone to RF.
But full aluminium casing is understandable&reasonable as the FPGA & big battery emit much heat to be dissipated. Ferrite chokes only decreases RF from cable to certain amount, thus phone+streaming+Mojo stack is quite noisy (and unacceptable, for me).

So Rob was saying 1A is minimum, but 2A wont' charge any faster?

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #15,874 of 42,759

Whatever the rating of your charger (as long as it is 1A or greater) the Mojo will draw 1A, so charge time remains the same.

Ok I get it, so the Mojo will only charge at 1A, doesnt matter that kind of charger you have unless it's less than 1A.
That's kinda suck, I was gonna get a faster charger to charge the mojo faster, but after hearing that it won't charge any faster than 1A, I guess i won't be buying a faster charger then.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #15,876 of 42,759
Just charge it overnight, are you really draining the mojo completely in one day?

Yes, I charge it once during the day, and charge it over night right before I go to bed.  But the charging time with my LG G3 usb cable is taking double longer than the 4h time that's the Mojo should be fully charged.
I just wished Chord would make another version of the Mojo but without the battery, so like using just the usb power or straight power from outlet.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #15,877 of 42,759
Hi! First post here. Wow, what a thread I must say!
The reason I'm writing here is because I'm about get a Mojo for personal use mostly, but I'm playing in a band and we're using in-ear minitoring, so I'm wondering if I can use it to connect from a mixer (AUX-output XLR) to the Mojo somehow. I assume it would be analog to digital since Mojo doesn't have an analog input, does that even work??

Link to mixer:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

Thanks!

I use the 3.5mm Mojo output jack to connect to active (desktop) speakers. You might find the comments about balanced vs non-balanced, in this thread useful. I use a QED Reference Audio J2P. (J2P = jack to phono.)

I think you would find that sufficient. However I see that this cable is not available on the QED website anymore. Only the Profile J2P and Performance Audio J2P, cables are available in J2P.

I find the Reference Audio version that I have, invaluable. I would not part with it for love or money. In other words I would say look about on the internet. See if you can find a Reference Audio J2P cable in stock somewhere.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #15,878 of 42,759
  Does anyone here use their Mojo as an external PC sound card? I understand that the battery can tolerate this, but wonder if long term desktop use is recommended. I tend to leave the Mojo plugged into a the PC by a USB lead borrowed from my Kindle.

I used to own a Hugo which seemed to introduce noticeable latency causing slight loss of lip sync when watching movies, but Mojo lacks this 'attribute'. If Mojo is not recommended as a general desktop solution, there's 2qute but this would need to be a big improvement over Mojo to justify the price and this is unlikely given the use of Hugo's innards.

I have the Mojo as a desktop DAC. As you do, I leave it plugged in. I have no latency issue with watching DVD.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #15,879 of 42,759
Ok I get it, so the Mojo will only charge at 1A, doesnt matter that kind of charger you have unless it's less than 1A.
That's kinda suck, I was gonna get a faster charger to charge the mojo faster, but after hearing that it won't charge any faster than 1A, I guess i won't be buying a faster charger then.

I disagree on 'sucks'. The input current limit is about safety. Many people listening to music with Mojo during charge time. With the current 1A input rate, many people (over)worry about the heat. Imagine what would happen when with 2A. Chord could make unit with bigger battery, faster charging time, etc but then the physical size would be bigger.

I just wished Chord would make another version of the Mojo but without the battery, so like using just the usb power or straight power from outlet.

Then that thing can't be called Mojo as Mojo is a portable source, made primarily for smartphones users.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #15,880 of 42,759
 I am still awaiting a reply.
4 hours of usage after a full charge is not remotely normal or acceptable. Nobody would be reading this a second time if I had received a reply to my first question.
It has a warranty. It was bought at e-earphone. It has battery issue that is getting worse.
Hi the battery playing time is dependant on several factors I'm afraid the first being how hard the FPGA is working and this goes for the USB chip too this is dependant on the size of the files it's processing the bigger the more power I will take as there is a lot of processing going on inside mojo it's not like a simple Dac chip. The second factor is what it's driving surprisingly many Higher quality IEMs have impedances as low as eleven Ohms therefore mojo has to work harder . There are other factors too such as The ambient temperature and the natural capacity tolerance of the battery too. I doubt you unit has a problem it's more likely to be a number of these factors coming into play ofcourse if your at home you can play and charge at the same time. I hope that helps. JF.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #15,881 of 42,759
Hi the battery playing time is dependant on several factors I'm afraid the first being how hard the FPGA is working and this goes for the USB chip too this is dependant on the size of the files it's processing the bigger the more power I will take as there is a lot of processing going on inside mojo it's not like a simple Dac chip. The second factor is what it's driving surprisingly many Higher quality IEMs have impedances as low as eleven Ohms therefore mojo has to work harder . There are other factors too such as The ambient temperature and the natural capacity tolerance of the battery too. I doubt you unit has a problem it's more likely to be a number of these factors coming into play ofcourse if your at home you can play and charge at the same time. I hope that helps. JF.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

I usually listen at very high volume and have to check exactly how much I am getting. The item is superb,sublime awesomeness. love it. Before I bother e-earphone i will make double sure. thanks for the reply.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #15,882 of 42,759
try another phone and/or another cable cause I drop my phone/mojo in my pocket everyday and not once had an issue with the connection. My problem are with music apps trying to make me pay for their free players.

Since I have obtained and used short OTG cables with right angled connections, I never get drops with my Mobile phones, Nexus 6 and OnePlus One, in normal use.

I don't mind paying for a good app with good support from the dev, in the scheme of things and for me not too much of a price to pay
(says he who got given by my carrier and Google a total of £60 credit over the last 6 months)
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #15,883 of 42,759
oh its one of THEM topics haha

You said it. It is indeed

I would say go for what makes you happy. I switch depending on locations, requirements or mood between Phone>Mojo, AK100MKii>Mojo and DP-X1>Mojo

I have not analysed my kit to determine if one sounds better or not paired with the Mojo
But I do know one thing, personally with my kit I don't have one bad pairing.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #15,884 of 42,759
So if I put the Mojo in my pocket which makes it hot it will run down the battery faster ?

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #15,885 of 42,759
  If you already have the SG4 it should be fine. Will you be using the SG4 as a phone as well as a transport? 

If you were not aware you will need an app such as Hiby, Onkyo HF Player or UAPP to playback via Mojo and If your phone is being used just as a transport it's best to run it in aeroplane mode to reduce interference and help the CPU cope just that little bit better.

All 3 apps work well just depending on your personal preferences, I use UAPP

Happy listening 
cool.gif

Yeah, ill only use as transport ( not phone ) so i'll enable the aeroplane mode.
I'll use UAPP or ONKYO, but also Spotify and Tidal ( hifi )

Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back