Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #15,691 of 42,759
BTW has anybody compared mojo with vinyl ?

I've been digitizing my large vinyl collection for quite a while and comparing the vinyl 'rips' with the same titles on CD or downloaded from various HD sites.  In many cases the rip sounds better than the commercial digital file because the vinyl LP is an "original pressing" made from the master tape shortly after the recording was made while many so-called HD digital download files are mastered from the master tape 50+ years later.

The Mojo really surprised me in that I can hear a LOT more musical detail, texture and 3-D sound-stage from these vinyl rip files than I could using my previous DAC's.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #15,695 of 42,759
Has anyone compared the Mojo and the QP1R sonically ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #15,698 of 42,759
Wow wow wow ! This a monstrous review and I salute you for the great work! One of the most detailed and refined reviews I've seen in my life.

I appreciate the kind words, means a lot to me.  Please feel free to post in the QP1R review thread for answers to most questions or inquiries, if you have any.  I and other owners will try our best to answer to the best of our abilities.

Take care! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #15,699 of 42,759

Actually, it is the way that Rob's DACs handle plain-old vanilla Redbook recordings that most surprised me - they sound foot-tappingly good in a way that had me scratching my head! LOL

+2^16...

Working as an audio designer is a lot of fun - my working day is just playing at my hobby (so my wife tells me). But there is a lot of slog - I can spend 9 months on coding, and when I come to listen to it I get just a small (and expected) improvement in sound quality. But I am cool with that, Rome wasn't built in a day and big things happen with lots of tiny steps. But when I am doing a listening test I have specific expectations - like improving noise floor modulation will make it sound smoother for example - so I build up detailed expectation of what the changes will bring.
Not so when I first heard the Hugo/Mojo code.

Now I had spent a lot of effort reducing RF noise, improving jitter performance, for the internal interpolators within the DAC. And I was expecting it to sound a bit smoother and more natural. There were also other improvements I had made, but I was not expecting much change over the Qute DAC which Hugo was most like as it had the same 4e pulse array DAC.
But hearing the new code was by far the biggest unexpected change in sound quality I have ever experienced - now it wasn't about the normal things we talk about - instrument separation, details, sound-stage etc - but the way that you could engage with the music - toe tapping, being able to hear the way instruments "talk" to one another, just being able to forget about the sound and simply enjoy the music. I simply had not had that engagement with music before.

Obviously, I was very excited about the musicality improvements, but I just had no idea where and why I was getting this big change - so it was extremely puzzling, as it identified a big hole in my knowledge. But that's where as a designer things get very exciting, as I work primarily to get better sound through understanding what is going on.

Eventually, with the Dave project, I got to understand what I had accidentally stumbled upon. What was really weird was that from an engineering perspective we are talking about very subtle things - very small improvements in the accuracy of timing as the signal goes from sampled data back to a continuous analogue signal. But these tiny changes, to me at least, have a profound way of how I enjoy music.

Rob  

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #15,700 of 42,759
Recently had a meet where i got a chance to listen to mojo. I am in market for new solid state amp. My budget is 400$ but am stretching it to 600 to accomodate mojo. My present dac is fiio x5 classic and i intend to buy either mojo or one of 400$ solid state amp like meier jazz ff, burson soloist sl or lake people g109 etc. No one i know has these amps so i instead used ifi ican to get an idea how mojo vs x5-amp rig will sound.

However this comparison has left me highly confused. So below are my comparisons of mojo vs x5-ican rig. My impressions are not final but done over a day, so maybe you will disagree.

First get it out of the way. Mojo has best detail and most vibrant timber i have heard. I used sennheiser hd700. When i switched to x5 ican rig, sound was lifeless in comparison. But i wanted to test properly so i listened further. Some aspects in which x5 ican scored over mojo and vice versa after longer listening are:

I found x5 ican to be more effortless sound. Mojo sounds a bit high strung. With ican notes fall more effortlessly and naturally, like actual person playing it.

For bass, mojo had excellent impact and detail. X5-ican has more properly defined bassline. A layer of bass if you will. Mojo bass is instead diffused over soundstage. Further listening brought up more layered soundstage on x5-ican. Mojo has full 3d instruments and voices that are fully detailed. Its like nothing is missed out. But it all exist on same plane. Even coughing sound from audience, which should be in background sounded prominent and same plane as instruments. I found it a bit odd.

For soundstage size, i will say its intimate. With a detailed hp like hd700 and so much intimate detail, i say it offers a good experience. If you are not in mood for so much detail, i suggest add a tube amp.

Overall i liked mojo- ican rig best. It solved all minor problems i had without adding much of its own signature. Maybe lost a bit detail but not enough for me to complain.

So this has me confused if i should get a mojo or amp. Certainly cant get both. Any suggestions?

Those are Nice Impressions , would also love to see how it pairs with Ican.
It seems mojo has lesser depth and bass detail n layering ..is it so?.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #15,701 of 42,759
For music get mojo. If you wanna a/b and pay attention to details only and listen on per - instrument/note basis maybe the other amp. For uniform timbre and musicality it won't get much better than mojo at price point.

Still if Mojo is not providing depth , meaning layering in sound-stage, then that's a critical point ... as other hear-fier mentioned the issue of voices etc to be in same plane.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #15,702 of 42,759
Those are Nice Impressions , would also love to see how it pairs with Ican.
It seems mojo has lesser depth and bass detail n layering ..is it so?.

Mojo has almost fully fleshed out instruments. So they sound 3d like.

But front to back layering on soundstage, i think can be better. Each sound is in same layer of soundstage it feels.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #15,703 of 42,759
IMHO sound stage depth of Mojo is nothing short of amazing!
Your Mojo-Brain-Connectivity-May-Vary
YMBCMV :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back