Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #14,281 of 42,765
How many people want to see Chord sell a no-battery Mojo with an AC or DC jack instead of a second USB power for those of us who always use it in range of an outlet?

I can tell you right now I'd have one on my desk at work
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #14,283 of 42,765
  I read later on that a bit of Wow is now being experienced. I also see that most of your music is in 320 have a look at this site it has links to sites offering free samples, sometimes complete tracks and on sites such as 2L you will have the option to download the same track in all versions from CD quality 16/44.1 up to DSD 256 11.2896Mbit/.
Give these a try, this was my 1st experience of Hi-Res files and I have not looked back since.

Above all try not to analyse, but listen and enjoy your music, Mojo allows you to do just that.
Also consider a free trial of Tidal too for 16/44.1 files
beerchug.gif

Thank you for the link.  I am going to try the samples.  I am in the free 30 day trial of Tidal and am enjoying it.  

I thumbs up your post, though I must admit that I am having a lot of fun with the critical (analyze) listening at this point, because I am impressed by the definition and particularly enjoy highlighting specific points of specific songs and going back and revisiting them, particularly as 'brain burn' or 'cultivating taste' or, as I consider it, 'data processing' with Mojo continues.  

I am both enjoying the music and getting an education.  I take Rob's posts, copy and paste things I don't understand, and do some quick research to help me grasp his engineering references.  

I also take reviewer's specific song references and listening for what they hear through Mojo.  This is a lot of fun.  I may compile a "Mojo's Greatest Hits" thread of suggested songs from reviewers; especially those who reference exact points of songs or specific instruments to listen to.  

Eventually, I am likely to reach a point where I am simply enjoying the music and become accustomed to the complex definition for some of my oldest music catalog, though I don't think I will live long enough to say the same for the complex classical pieces.  

What a joy Mojo and good headphones provides.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #14,284 of 42,765
  How many people want to see Chord sell a no-battery Mojo with an AC or DC jack instead of a second USB power for those of us who always use it in range of an outlet?

biggrin.gif

I don't see the difference between the DC jack of the Hugo and the Mojo's second USB, which is essentially a 5v DC jack.
The USB version is more flexible as it can be charged from PC etc. as well as the dedicated wall charger.

Mojo with AC jack is going to require the charger to be built into the Mojo - more than doubling it's size...

The battery is also part of the design in order to eliminate mains noise.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #14,285 of 42,765

I can tell you right now I'd have one on my desk at work :D

That would actually be my preferred format, maybe one where you could put a 9V PP3 battery in it for on the go use

The thing about devices with non user replaceable inbuilt LiPo batteries is that once the battery has died - which it will do, then I'll just throw the device into the recycling.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #14,286 of 42,765
That would actually be my preferred format, maybe one where you could put a 9V PP3 battery in it for on the go use

The thing about devices with non user replaceable inbuilt LiPo batteries is that once the battery has died - which it will do, then I'll just throw the device into the recycling.

The battery is said to last around 10 years and it is replaceable. Yes, you would need to make the effort to return it to your dealer for battery replacement, but I can assure you that when the batteries finally die in my Hugo, it will not be going into the recycling... just the batteries.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #14,287 of 42,765

The battery is apparently designed to last 5,000 recharging cycles from 0 - 100% and the battery can be replaced in any event by Chord. I doubt whether the cost of replacing the battery would exceed the price of a new DAC/amp. However, I'd buy a desktop version of the Mojo as mine is mainly being used with a desktop PC and has worked well with Stax gear. The size should be smaller than 2Qute/Hugo and I prefer Mojo's warmer sound signature.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #14,288 of 42,765
  The battery is apparently designed to last 5,000 recharging cycles from 0 - 100% and the battery can be replaced in any event by Chord. I doubt whether the cost of replacing the battery would exceed the price of a new DAC/amp. However, I'd buy a desktop version of the Mojo as mine is mainly being used with a desktop PC and has worked well with Stax gear. The size should be smaller than 2Qute/Hugo and I prefer Mojo's warmer sound signature.

With a 6" USB connection to Macbook Pro, it is a 'desk dac' for me that I simply grab on the go.  It's the best of both worlds.  Plus...the battery may last longer than 10 years, as it is not known at this time.  The AC wire would actually be 'more footprint' on the coffee table that I work from.  

How it is that my wife has an office and I am relegated to a coffee table in the living room is for another story.  
beyersmile.png

With the Mojo at home and on the go:  It's quite exciting to be part of something so cutting edge.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #14,289 of 42,765

Thank you for the link.  I am going to try the samples.  I am in the free 30 trial of Tidal and am enjoying it.  

I thumbs up your post, though I must admit that I am having a lot of fun with the critical (analyze) listening at this point, because I am impressed by the definition and particularly enjoy highlighting specific points of specific songs and going back and revisiting them, particularly as 'brain burn' or 'cultivating taste' or, as I consider it, 'data processing' with Mojo continues.  

I am both enjoying the music and getting an education.  Eventually, I am likely to reach a point where I am simply enjoying the music and become accustomed to the complex definition for some of my oldest music catalog, though I don't think I will live long enough to say the same for the complex classical pieces.  

What a joy Mojo and good headphones provides.  

My pleasure

(Confession I used to critical/analyse myself, thankfully I'm at the purely listening/enjoying stage now)

L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #14,291 of 42,765

With a 6" USB connection to Macbook Pro, it is a 'desk dac' for me that I simply grab on the go.  It's the best of both worlds.  Plus...the battery may last longer than 10 years, as it is not known at this time.  The AC wire would actually be 'more footprint' on the coffee table that I work from.  

How it is that my wife has an office and I am relegated to a coffee table in the living room is for another story.  
beyersmile.png

With the Mojo at home and on the go:  It's quite exciting to be part of something so cutting edge.  

Have you compared Mojo to equivalent priced desktop DACs? I'm considering buying a 2Qute, but the cost is a serious factor and I have an Asus STX II.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #14,292 of 42,765
  Quite recently I have been to one of the "Linn Lounge" events, these are set up usually with dedicated evening, in this case Miles Davis.
These have been designed to demonstrate the best that Linn have to offer and at this sitting the Exakt Akubarik Active Speakers and Klimax Exakt DSM network enabled player.

Primarily having been wowed by my experience with my Mojo and Miles Davis through all the IEM's and HeadPhones I own. Now there I was expecting to be blown away by the Linn gear.
I mean afterall we are talking about £20K+ active speakers and £8K+ network player. Surely a no contest?

By now you can probably guess where this is going. What I will say in defence of the Linn set up is that it was not in ideal listening conditions and it was good, very good. I would say that this venue was not best suited for solo listening the acoustics may have been all over the place. But at the end of the day
1. I would not, unless a lottery winner, be buying equipment at that price in the first place
2. Would probably need to experience this in a properly set up home Linn system
3. My listening through headphones allow me to tailor my listening experience solely for myself

I did consider offering the demonstrators my Mojo to try inline to feed the Active speakers but I'm sure they would not accommodate this.

I have since been back for a Mozart evening and again comparing tracks I own against those demoed, I personally on these 2 experiences would not have felt like I was missing out on anything at all while listening to the Mojo as I thought more details was gleaned from the music in my own setup.

L3000.gif

Being a Linn DSM owner myself, and previously posted my comparison between the Linn experience via headphone out vs Mojo, I'm not surprised at your experience.
You can never truly compare Loudspeakers to Headphones because they both give something the other can't reproduce because of the interaction with the room. That said Linn have SPACE to counter positioning issues (probably not for discussion here)

I'm not for trading my DSM for our main room. However, since I bought Mojo, two things have happened.
1) I haven't listened to Music via the Loudspeakers
2) If I use the Linn for music, it's for convenience (all my music is on the NAS drive), but via TOSLINK into the Mojo and headphones

I use it for TV and Music.

I haven't connected Mojo to be the source, and the DSM then used as a power amp. I might like it too much.
The main point is that had Hugo, Mojo or specifically DAVE existed when I bought the DSM, I am convinced I would not have the Linn.
Nowadays, I would never get this expense past the Wife!

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #14,293 of 42,765

Being a Linn DSM owner myself, and previously posted my comparison between the Linn experience via headphone out vs Mojo, I'm not surprised at your experience.
You can never truly compare Loudspeakers to Headphones because they both give something the other can't reproduce because of the interaction with the room. That said Linn have SPACE to counter positioning issues (probably not for discussion here)

I'm not for trading my DSM for our main room. However, since I bought Mojo, two things have happened.
1) I haven't listened to Music via the Loudspeakers
2) If I use the Linn for music, it's for convenience (all my music is on the NAS drive), but via TOSLINK into the Mojo and headphones

I use it for TV and Music.

I haven't connected Mojo to be the source, and the DSM then used as a power amp. I might like it too much.
The main point is that had Hugo, Mojo or specifically DAVE existed when I bought the DSM, I am convinced I would not have the Linn.
Nowadays, I would never get this expense past the Wife!

My missus was also quite pleased, she could accept the expenditure on HD800, CIEM's, Mojo, DX-P1 but when we heard what the price was for the Linn set up we were listening too, a hasty exit to the door with her dragging me in tow, funny how strong a 5'1" woman can be when required (says a 6'5" 16st Mojo owner)

dt880smile.png

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #14,295 of 42,765

biggrin.gif

This is a non issue. You can leave it on and plugged in to the charger all the time if you want. It will not hurt anything and the Mojo will not charge the battery unless/until it needs to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back