Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #39,481 of 42,759
Sorry for taking a while to reply to this, but I wanted to really go back and forth between the N3 and X10TII with some of my most well known test tracks, just to be really sure. I went back and forth between the two listening to select songs from "Awaken, My Love!" by Childish Gambino (24-bit 96kHz), Jolie Holland's "Wine Dark Sea" (24/96), and the SACD remaster of Rage Against the Machine's self titled album in 24/192. All listening from Cayin done with a HiBy USB C to 3.5mm coax cable; all listening from xDuoo from 3.5mm coax output using included xDuoo coax cable.

To answer your question, yes, the xDuoo unit is significantly better. I'm even more confident than before when I say that this is the best I've ever heard Mojo sound and puts it in the category of one of the best DACs I've ever owned, that's not even to mention that it has enough juice to drive hungry planars like the ZMF Blackwood. The most obvious difference for me is in the blackness of the background, which translates into better low-level dynamics and transient detail retrieval. This goes across the entire frequency range, but the bass in particular is noticeably deeper, faster, and more dynamic. It's generally more focused and full-bodied through the bass and mids--not quite R2R-like body, it's still clearly D/S, but sounds full in a way that I personally haven't heard D/S do before. Percussion and cymbals in particular are perfectly clear and resolved--to my ears, snares are one of those things that cheaper digital products find a hard time representing naturally and clearly, as they are complex waveforms that can easily get smoothed over. The N3 does a decent job with snare drums, much better than my phone, as you can start to hear all the tiny little details.... but the xDuoo is on a different level and absolutely nails the snap, the reverb, all the little details that make each strike of the drum unique--everything is there.

I was pretty impressed with how much more detail and dynamics that the N3 was able to squeeze out of the Mojo and was honestly a bit worried that the xDuoo might not even be able to do that much better, that the N3 was already pushing Mojo to its limits... but I was wrong. I am floored by the way the combo sounds. It is so engaging. I can't speak to the HiBy, and the X10T definitely doesn't stack on the Mojo as nicely, but sonically it is a stunning combo. YMMV but my guess is that you will not be disappointed.

Edit: Just wanted to include that I feel the xDuoo unit also wins in terms of usability and general feel. The capacitive touch buttons on the N3 are so easy to mis-strike and can be very annoying, whereas the xDuoo has physical buttons so zero issues with that. The N3 has a plastic case and is a decently attractive/good feeling unit, but the X10T with its aluminum body and physical buttons has a much more premium look and feel. It's only slightly larger than the N3.

I did notice the other day, as a con to add to the list, that EQ did not work for 24/96 files, which was a bit disappointing as I'd like to pump the bass up while listening to Purity Ring's "Another Eternity" in 24/96. I'm assuming that, like the N3, there's a cutoff in sampling rates over which the unit doesn't have the processing power to add EQ. Disappointing, to be sure, but not critical... I can always put on bassier headphones.
Don't worry about the delay, it is important that you take the time to perform rigorous (in audiophile terms) tests/comparisons.

Those members who started following this thread 4 years ago, experienced both the great Mojo sound signature, and the frustrations caused by using a phone as the input source.
The user feedback identified that some daps could provide improved (ie less RFI/electrical noise) input sources, and still retain the Mojo sound signature.
For a while I used a Shanling M1.
Now I have a Poly as the alternative source, and it does enable a slightly darker background to music, indicating lower levels of RFI/electrical noise.
Enter the X10TII, which has been receiving recommendations as an input source for the MScaler.
You are now providing similar recommendations for the Mojo.
The conclusion - the Mojo provides a great music sound signature for mobile use, but this is enhanced by using the best (ie low noise) input sources, and at the moment those appear to be the Poly or X10TII.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #39,482 of 42,759
Don't worry about the delay, it is important that you take the time to perform rigorous (in audiophile terms) tests/comparisons.

Those members who started following this thread 4 years ago, experienced both the great Mojo sound signature, and the frustrations caused by using a phone as the input source.
The user feedback identified that some daps could provide improved (ie less RFI/electrical noise) input sources, and still retain the Mojo sound signature.

Yeah, I wasn't disappointed with the Mojo when using my phone and laptop as sources, since it was definitely better than either, but I always suspected that it could be better and for years would occasionally do research on what was the best transport besides Poly (couldn't justify the price), but information was limited. I eventually went with the Cayin N3 as a cheap option for coax output, and was really pretty impressed by how much better Mojo sounded... similar improvements as described in my last post, blacker background, more dynamics/details, better focus, better bass clarity. I thought that it might be a source that could get everything out of the Mojo, but I always had this nervous itch in the back of my mind that it could possibly be better. I ordered the X10T II to satisfy that itch, and was immediately smitten. These differences aren't night and day of course, in a broader sense (i.e. relative to the differences between headphones), they are subtle distinctions, but those subtle improvements go a long way in creating a more realistic, lifelike, and spacious listening experience that is just so much more engaging. For me the xDuoo + Mojo combo brings the wow factor to the table every time I fire them up.

The conclusion - the Mojo provides a great music sound signature for mobile use, but this is enhanced by using the best (ie low noise) input sources, and at the moment those appear to be the Poly or X10TII.

I also think that your conclusion here goes beyond just Mojo and MScaler--I think transport quality is only slightly less important than DAC quality. It was a big day for me when I emancipated myself from PCs as a source with my Oppo BDP-103 at home; the xDuoo is only slightly less focused than the Oppo's coaxial output in PureAudio mode. In my office, I use the xDuoo as a source for Modi Multibit + CTH, and it outperformed Eitr. I have never owned an xDuoo product before, but I think they have done something worth noting with this little guy.

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #39,485 of 42,759
Better a shanling m0 as transport for the mojo or a hiby r3?
Definitely Hiby R3! Better sound (with and without Mojo) and better manipulation because of more suitable size.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #39,486 of 42,759
Definitely Hiby R3! Better sound (with and without Mojo) and better manipulation because of more suitable size.
You should see the Tempotec paired with the Mojo. Perfect pairing.
DSC_0046.JPG

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #39,488 of 42,759
I’m very happy with the combination of Mojo and M0 (using Shanling’s own short USB cable). The M0’s screen is, however extremely small, making the player difficult to operate...

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #39,490 of 42,759
Anker are good (and not expensive).

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #39,493 of 42,759
Is this charger ok for letting it charged 24/7?
https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/DLP2207_12/-
https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dlp2207_12/dlp2207_12_pss_.pdf

If not, what brands should I look for locally?
The amazon ones are not really available.

Charging lithium batteries 24/7 is not advised and there have been many reports of premature battery life issues from those that have. Pro tip, all lithium batteries don’t like to remain at full charge.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #39,494 of 42,759
I think there is a post in this thread explaining how to remove the battery, for those wanting to use the Mojo as a desktop solution only. This way one avoids the dangers of a 24/7 charging lithium battery.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #39,495 of 42,759
I think there is a post in this thread explaining how to remove the battery, for those wanting to use the Mojo as a desktop solution only. This way one avoids the dangers of a 24/7 charging lithium battery.
I think there is a post somewhere in the thread, but it is easy enough to do (although @Rob Watts has posted that because this mod was never tested during the Mojo development, it will not be covered by any warranty)
Just remove the 8 screws, and open the case.
The battery is attached to the top of the case using double sided tape.
The battery cable is attached to the circuit board using a simple plug - just unplug the cable.
Screw the case back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back