Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #30,391 of 42,759
Mojo was designed to feel that way though, according to J. Franks (emojo ideas). He tells the story of how he decided on its feel in a video. I can't point to which one, but a man from east-Asia was interviewing Mr Franks.

I like the satiny feel of the paint.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #30,392 of 42,759
  Mojo was designed to feel that way though, according to J. Franks (emojo ideas). He tells the story of how he decided on its feel in a video. I can't point to which one, but a man from east-Asia was interviewing Mr Franks.

I like the satiny feel of the paint.

Think it was something about watching his daughter play at a river bank with flint.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #30,393 of 42,759

Hi all, I'm now the proud owner Sennheiser HD800-S's , powered by the Mojo of course 
smile.png
 After demo-ing so many cans with the Mojo 

This simple combination does it for me. I'm not a bass head. The mid range and high's really do it for me and they're really comfortable to wear.

For my desktop setup, I use a very minimalist setup. I use Rob's favourite input, the Toslink input, direct from the iMac (which supports a 3.5mm Toslink connection). I use a well made and affordable Analysis Plus 1m Toslink cable.

With jitter eliminated and no noise to worry about using toslink (full galvanic isolation), it's really happy days. [size=inherit]There's only a single downside to the Toslink connection via the iMac - it's limited to 24/96 so anything above that get's down-sampled. In my case Roon is doing the down-sampling and I'm fine with that.[/size]

The Dac/amp has enough power for the volumes I listen at. I've tried it with big and powerful headphone amps and didn't think a dedicated amp was needed for the volumes I listen at. 

This really blows the Oppo PM-1 and HA-1 setup that I had, in terms of high freq detail which i felt was missing.

I may get an Olimex USB isolator (recommended by Rob) and use the microUSB connection of the Mojo, to enable native 24/176 and 24/192 and DSD64 playback.

I also use the Mojo with a HiFiBerry Digi+ PRO Roon Endpoint in my main hifi setup, with a PrimaLuna integrated - here the Mojo serves as a Dac only (I go 3 clicks down from the 3V preset output). Again toslink is used but works perfectly well up to 24/192 with the Digi+ PRO. Again, no noise and no jitter to worry about. Only my DSD64 purchases are down-sampled which is no biggie.

When I want to do late night serious listening with the cans, I then plug into my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium's headphone output for all the power I would ever need, and the goodness of tubes. Again, the Mojo doing Dac duties.

Thanks again @Rob Watts and
@ChordElectronics

Happy listening people

The mac Toslink is not limited to 24/96!  Go to Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup and bump it up!

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #30,398 of 42,759
Hmmmm...

Is I limex usb-ISO recommended by Rob?

How about additional improvement on Optical input by using the ifi spdif/toslink purifier that do Global Master Timing?

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-spdif-ipurifier/

Anyone using it on the chord mojo wif great result?

Regards Wayne

Hi all, I'm now the proud owner Sennheiser HD800-S's , powered by the Mojo of course 
smile.png

After demo-ing so many cans with the Mojo 

This simple combination does it for me. I'm not a bass head. The mid range and high's really do it for me and they're really comfortable to wear.

For my desktop setup, I use a very minimalist setup. I use Rob's favourite input, the Toslink input, direct from the iMac (which supports a 3.5mm Toslink connection). I use a well made and affordable Analysis Plus 1m Toslink cable.

With jitter eliminated and no noise to worry about using toslink (full galvanic isolation), it's really happy days. [SIZE=inherit]There's only a single downside to the Toslink connection via the iMac - it's limited to 24/96 so anything above that get's down-sampled. In my case Roon is doing the down-sampling and I'm fine with that.[/SIZE]

The Dac/amp has enough power for the volumes I listen at. I've tried it with big and powerful headphone amps and didn't think a dedicated amp was needed for the volumes I listen at. 

This really blows the Oppo PM-1 and HA-1 setup that I had, in terms of high freq detail which i felt was missing.

I may get an Olimex USB isolator (recommended by Rob) and use the microUSB connection of the Mojo, to enable native 24/176 and 24/192 and DSD64 playback.

I also use the Mojo with a HiFiBerry Digi+ PRO Roon Endpoint in my main hifi setup, with a PrimaLuna integrated - here the Mojo serves as a Dac only (I go 3 clicks down from the 3V preset output). Again toslink is used but works perfectly well up to 24/192 with the Digi+ PRO. Again, no noise and no jitter to worry about. Only my DSD64 purchases are down-sampled which is no biggie.

When I want to do late night serious listening with the cans, I then plug into my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium's headphone output for all the power I would ever need, and the goodness of tubes. Again, the Mojo doing Dac duties.

Thanks again @Rob Watts
 and

@ChordElectronics

Happy listening people

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #30,399 of 42,759
Hmmmm...

How about additional improvement on Optical input by using the ifi spdif/toslink purifier that do Global Master Timing?

Regards Wayne

Rob has repeatedly said that re-timers are not recommended with his DACs for all of the inputs. If you are using anything but a wet string to transfer data don't worry about it with his designs.

Also, any claims that optical requires galvanic isolation are completely false. Optical carries no electrical signal (it's literally pulses of light) so no cable bound electrical noise purification can be done with optical.

Edit: The iPurifier galvanic isolation is for coaxial S/PDiF, not optical. Optical and coaxial both fall under the S/PDiF specification so it would be helpful to know which is being specified for the product.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #30,400 of 42,759
Hmmmm...

Regards Wayne
[/quote]

Hi Wayne, I have it with another system/Dac that doesn't have the jitter elimination tech of the Mojo. It unsurprisingly made no different with the Mojo. The iFi also provides galvanic isolation with the digital coax connection but if using Toslink with the Mojo, that's a non issue. So no jitter or noise to worry about - it's happy days indeed.

The iFi does a really great job in my other system, as I said where there isn't jitter elimination and where I have to use digital coax - it provides galvanic isolation to that Dac.

But not required with the Mojo I found.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #30,401 of 42,759
Hmmmm...

Regards Wayne

Rob has repeatedly said that re-timers are not recommended with his DACs for all of the inputs. If you are using anything but a wet string to transfer data don't worry about it with his designs.

Also, any claims that optical requires galvanic isolation are completely false. Optical carries no electrical signal (it's literally pulses of light) so no cable bound electrical noise purification can be done with optical.

Hi mate, the iFi SPDIF iPurifier's claim of galvanic isolation probably applies to SPDIF digital coax. The iPurifier supports both Toslink and Digital Coax

But as I mentioned above, when using Toslink with the Mojo it's not required at all.

The Olimex is affordable USB galvanic isolation and looks interesting. But with no noise and jitter to worry about with Toslink it's probably not required with the Mojo unless you need DSD64 native playback or you Toslink source can't handle 24/192 (like my old iMac)

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #30,403 of 42,759
Thanks! x Relic x and Em2016 for the insightful advise!

Glad that I got the MOJO and even grateful that I join this forum thread! All is good for me, it's just greed that is over my head.

Regards Wayne

Likewise, I'm really new to this forum and new to the Mojo. So much info on this thread straight from the horses mouth (sorry to call Rob a horse) it's incredible :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #30,404 of 42,759
Hi mate, the iFi SPDIF iPurifier's claim of galvanic isolation probably applies to SPDIF digital coax. The iPurifier supports both Toslink and Digital Coax

But as I mentioned above, when using Toslink with the Mojo it's not required at all.

The Olimex is affordable USB galvanic isolation and looks interesting. But with no noise and jitter to worry about with Toslink it's probably not required with the Mojo unless you need DSD64 native playback or you Toslink source can't handle 24/192 (like my old iMac)

Yeah, I read the OP saying optical with the iPurifier and didn't check the product page. My apologies. I did edit my post after wandering over to iFi's webpage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back