Chord Mojo battery replacement - solved!
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 24
I have a mojo from 2015, replaced the battery already in late 2018, now it failed again. The annoying thing is that when the battery goes one can't even use the mojo when connected to the mains, as the supply seems to only come from the battery itself.

I use my mojo as a desktop rig nowadays, having dabbled with it as a portable solution in the early days, so the battery thing has been a red herring for me for a while.

After contacting Chord for the current failed battery situation, the kind tech support guy there advised me not to get another battery but to simply remove the old battery and use the mojo as a mains-only device. I was a bit surprised and sceptical even, but it's worked like a charm. No more cutouts!

He did advise to avoid connecting to power whilst connected to output device as there may be voltage spikes/pops.

So, a good tip if you're using the mojo as a desktop device and have a failing battery; just disconnect the darned thing and move on :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 24
I have a mojo from 2015, replaced the battery already in late 2018, now it failed again. The annoying thing is that when the battery goes one can't even use the mojo when connected to the mains, as the supply seems to only come from the battery itself.

I use my mojo as a desktop rig nowadays, having dabbled with it as a portable solution in the early days, so the battery thing has been a red herring for me for a while.

After contacting Chord for the current failed battery situation, the kind tech support guy there advised me not to get another battery but to simply remove the old battery and use the mojo as a mains-only device. I was a bit surprised and sceptical even, but it's worked like a charm. No more cutouts!

He did advise to avoid connecting to power whilst connected to output device as there may be voltage spikes/pops.

So, a good tip if you're using the mojo as a desktop device and have a failing battery; just disconnect the darned thing and move on :)
Could you please advise what are you using for source? If you use wall adapter how many volts and amperes? I can not find any information regarding chargers or required voltage, amperes for charging mojo.

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 24
Could you please advise what are you using for source? If you use wall adapter how many volts and amperes? I can not find any information regarding chargers or required voltage, amperes for charging mojo.
Just a normal Samsung 2.1a adaptive fast charger. I haven't really experimented. Oddly it does cut out by itself every perhaps 6 hours, it's not a huge issue, but odd. Wonder if some safety is kicking in or its just my mojo has its quirks due to age. Back to the charger... I think anything above 1 amp should provide enough current.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 24
I use my Mojo in an always connected desktop scenario. With the battery, it was overheating and cutting out too often, so I removed it as suggested by some others in this forum too. Overall, with no battery, it’s working great but the Mojo buzzes very audibly and it’s noticeable even in a not so quite listening environment. Is anyone else facing this issue with a battery less Mojo? I tried reconnecting the old battery and that reduces the high pitch buzzing considerably. There is something in the charging circuit that goes crazy if it does not find a battery to charge. Keen to know if anyone else has a suggestion to resolve this. I don’t need a battery as it’s working fine in my desktop setup and I can’t reinsert the old battery because it’s puffed up beyond the point that the case can be closed.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 24
I use my Mojo in an always connected desktop scenario. With the battery, it was overheating and cutting out too often, so I removed it as suggested by some others in this forum too. Overall, with no battery, it’s working great but the Mojo buzzes very audibly and it’s noticeable even in a not so quite listening environment. Is anyone else facing this issue with a battery less Mojo? I tried reconnecting the old battery and that reduces the high pitch buzzing considerably. There is something in the charging circuit that goes crazy if it does not find a battery to charge. Keen to know if anyone else has a suggestion to resolve this. I don’t need a battery as it’s working fine in my desktop setup and I can’t reinsert the old battery because it’s puffed up beyond the point that the case can be closed.
You should take pics of the battery so you have all the info on the label and then drop it off at a recycling facility. Batteries that swell can be dangerous, get it out of your house.

I hope somebody can answer your question. My battery is just about dead but I have not removed it. It's silent, mine runs fine off a Samsung phone charger.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #21 of 24
Without battery, mine's not making any weird noises. No weirder than when the battery was in place, that is :wink: - It cuts out by itself every 8hrs or so, which is a bit odd. Just need to switch it back on again and good to go.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 24
Instead, send in your unit to The Cable Co for a "lube job" and let them lavish their TLC on it. They charge peanuts for the service and you won't be sorry to have the professionals handle it (I am certainly a very happy customer) // TG
Unfortunately according to an employee there, they are no longer servicing the Mojo. Mine won't power on with or without battery, and only shows all marbles as white when connected to power.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #23 of 24
Leaving the MOJO plugged in to a USB charger for the majority of time
That's exactly how I recently killed my battery. I put it on a battery bank and forgot to take it off. It started smelling in the room, I immediately disconnected it.

I think the best way to charge Mojo is via PC. It shuts off charging when fully charged.

Now I'm in the same boat. HiFi pro isn't selling this battery anymore.

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 24
Well, my Mojo battery died but it worked ok off a phone charger. I ran it that way, plugged in constantly for years as a po' man's desktop DAC. Worked totally fine.

Non-replaceable battery gear is just annoying. So I don't buy that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back