Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 14, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,236 of 10,234
Update

My cable quest with the magical lightning fruit wizard of iOZ

Sadc447aa2d9940eb863b0f816d591464s.jpg

ddHiFi TC28i Pro Lightning Male to Female USB OTG and Power Adapter for iOS devices​

S4e2b90414d9e48878af236bb7cd5d36dn.jpg

ddHiFi TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Data Cable with Double Shielded Structure, 50cm​

Aed725a69d3964fb7af89c4f98784eddcH.jpg

Neumann ND20, Silver Plated+OCC cable, 2.5mm to 3.5mm, 0.7m

RLM00254_1944x.jpg

LD West, Mojo2 and iPhone13 ProMax Conceal Carry Holster

i

YES

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #5,237 of 10,234
So I stopped following this thread after the official release cause I was disappointed with the design of the unit, I'm currently in the market for a portable DAC after selling my Gryphon and am torn between giving this a try and RS2 DAP.

From what I read, Mojo 2 is an obvious improvement over Mojo but I wanted to know if a couple of specific things are improved with the Mojo 2.

1. I saw some posts mention white noise issue with the unit, what's that about?

2. With the Mojo, it traded soundstage size for more depth and precision to my ears when compared to competition, I was however a bit disappointed with soundstage height, when A/B'ing it with micro iDSD Signature, the Signature had a grander stage and was more immersive to my ears. Has the stage width and height improved?

3. Mojo sounded like it pushed a lot of detail upfront, micro detail or background sounds were pushed forward a bit so they were more noticeable, but it kinda sounded like using volume normalizer to me, paired with Sundara which is already a bit bright sounding, overall pairing sounded too fatiguing. Is Mojo 2 more Dynamic sounding than before?

4. Some people also complained about hiss from headphone output, considering I'll primarily be using IEMs, this is a deal breaker for me if true. any comments on hiss?

5. I saw some mention the unit gets better sounding after keeping it on for 20-30 mins, why is that? I noticed a similar effect with my RU6 & A30 Pro, where keeping them on for a few mins removed some edginess in the treble.

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,238 of 10,234
So I stopped following this thread after the official release cause I was disappointed with the design of the unit, I'm currently in the market for a portable DAC after selling my Gryphon and am torn between giving this a try and RS2 DAP.

From what I read, Mojo 2 is an obvious improvement over Mojo but I wanted to know if a couple of specific things are improved with the Mojo 2.

1. I saw some posts mention white noise issue with the unit, what's that about?

2. With the Mojo, it traded soundstage size for more depth and precision to my ears when compared to competition, I was however a bit disappointed with soundstage height, when A/B'ing it with micro iDSD Signature, the Signature had a grander stage and was more immersive to my ears. Has the stage width and height improved?

3. Mojo sounded like it pushed a lot of detail upfront, micro detail or background sounds were pushed forward a bit so they were more noticeable, but it kinda sounded like using volume normalizer to me, paired with Sundara which is already a bit bright sounding, overall pairing sounded too fatiguing. Is Mojo 2 more Dynamic sounding than before?

4. Some people also complained about hiss from headphone output, considering I'll primarily be using IEMs, this is a deal breaker for me if true. any comments on hiss?

5. I saw some mention the unit gets better sounding after keeping it on for 20-30 mins, why is that? I noticed a similar effect with my RU6 & A30 Pro, where keeping them on for a few mins removed some edginess in the treble.
Soundstage height and overall size on Mojo 2 is about the same with a better sense of depth and space.
Once I stopped moving the micro USB connection cable during playback have only
experienced one white noise in 6 months - not a big deal and some users don't experience it.
The biggest difference with Mojo 2 over M1 is that the bass has greater detail and texture, On Mojo 1 the weight,
tone of bass is good but sounds to me somewhat
smoothed-over when compared with the rest of the frequency range. As a result coherence is now great on the M2.

Yes, Mojo 2 has better dynamics than the 1.

I use the Grado GR10e IEMs, I don't hear hiss and they sound amazing, I really like them with the crossfeed on minimum (red).

The Mojo 2 is noticeably a bit brighter compared with M1, I drop the 3k band by 1 db and it sounds great
on two of my headphones and similar in tonal balance to the M1. On my high end Grados I actually boost the
3k and 20k by 1 db each!

The DSP is a fantastic addition and I love having it, eg and crossfeed without any loss of quality.

We all hear and react differently so I recommend you audition the Mojo 2 to see if it works as well for you.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #5,239 of 10,234
Soundstage height and overall size on Mojo 2 is about the same with a better sense of depth and space.
Once I stopped moving the micro USB connection cable during playback have only
experienced one white noise in 6 months - not a big deal and some users don't experience it.
The biggest difference with Mojo 2 over M1 is that the bass has greater detail and texture, On Mojo 1 the weight,
tone of bass is good but sounds to me somewhat
smoothed-over when compared with the rest of the frequency range. As a result coherence is now great on the M2.

Yes, Mojo 2 has better dynamics than the 1.

I use the Grado GR10e IEMs, I don't hear hiss and they sound amazing, I really like them with the crossfeed on minimum (red).

The Mojo 2 is noticeably a bit brighter compared with M1, I drop the 3k band by 1 db and it sounds great
on two of my headphones and similar in tonal balance to the M1. On my high end Grados I actually boost the
3k and 20k by 1 db each!

The DSP is a fantastic addition and I love having it, eg and crossfeed without any loss of quality.

We all hear and react differently so I recommend you audition the Mojo 2 to see if it works as well for you.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Sucks that soundstage isn't wider, I agree about the Bass of Mojo, it had good body/density but wasn't as textured.

So the white noise has something to do with moving the micro USB Cable while in use? is it the same with Type-C?

I've read that it is brighter but it does not have the artifacts or glare in the treble that some DACs have right? similar to Mojo.

The DSP is one of the reasons I'm considering M2, never been a fan of EQ, it always altered sound in a way I never liked. Hopefully this DSP is more transparent.

Sadly, no way to audition gear where I'm from, at least not in an easy or convenient way.

Finally, any users of Mojo 2 and RS6 or N6ii with R2R board? I know it's a subjective thing but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are between R2R and FPGA? I have the RU6 but it's not fair to compare a device of that size and cost against Mojo/Mojo 2.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #5,240 of 10,234
I cancelled my plan to upgrade to high-end DAP. Instead, I bought Chord Mojo 2 and use it with my iPod touch 7th gen as a transport using Fiio LT-LT1. Definitely worth it. Now, I just need an end-game IEM and I will be good for 5 years. Hopefully, the audio technology will not advance that fast or I will be screwed. 😂

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #5,241 of 10,234
Finally, any users of Mojo 2 and RS6 or N6ii with R2R board? I know it's a subjective thing but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are between R2R and FPGA? I have the RU6 but it's not fair to compare a device of that size and cost against Mojo/Mojo 2.
I have both. Love 'em both a lot. But if I had to give one of them up, it'd be the RS6. Mojo 2 is simply amazing!! esp. with the Poly.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #5,242 of 10,234
I cancelled my plan to upgrade to high-end DAP. Instead, I bought Chord Mojo 2 and use it with my iPod touch 7th gen as a transport using Fiio LT-LT1. Definitely worth it. Now, I just need an end-game IEM and I will be good for 5 years. Hopefully, the audio technology will not advance that fast or I will be screwed. 😂
That’s what I did. Mojo2 + Mest2, IE600 and S12. I am all set.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #5,244 of 10,234
any one using Hiby R3 Pro Saber, USB C to 3.5 coax ....?
I just realized when using usb c to c/micro = volume is fixed, while usbc to 3.5 coax, R3 volume is still working.
I owned Hiby R3 Pro Saber, but have not tried the cable yet. What do you mean by volume is fixed? Is it the locked digital volume?

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #5,245 of 10,234
any one using Hiby R3 Pro Saber, USB C to 3.5 coax ....?
I just realized when using usb c to c/micro = volume is fixed, while usbc to 3.5 coax, R3 volume is still working.
That is correct.
With the coax cable you could use the HiBy R3's volume control, but I personally always made sure that the volume was set to 100% to avoid any processing of the digital signal. The USB connection has fixed output, but sounds a bit brighter. Coax sounds smoother with darker background IMO.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #5,247 of 10,234
fixed = the vol button can not be operate
Then it is locked.
That is correct.
With the coax cable you could use the HiBy R3's volume control, but I personally always made sure that the volume was set to 100% to avoid any processing of the digital signal. The USB connection has fixed output, but sounds a bit brighter. Coax sounds smoother with darker background IMO.
As he said you should max your volume first on your DAP. I think Mojo also stated something similar in general to make sure your source is at max volume and control it via Mojo.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #5,248 of 10,234
That is correct.
I see, thanks for confirming. Yes I found coax is less analytical and based on my experience better the source better sounding too. Shanling EM5 vs Hiby R3 Saber.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #5,249 of 10,234
That is correct.
I saw you have Poly too, how do you find R3 vs Poly, let say via same usb input in Mojo 2

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #5,250 of 10,234
Then it is locked.

As he said you should max your volume first on your DAP. I think Mojo also stated something similar in general to make sure your source is at max volume and control it via Mojo.
I stand corrected. I thought it would be like the first photo, but I know what you mean now as in the second one. Just tested it myself due to curiosity. The digital volume does not affect anything. 😂

Attachments

• 5DDCE204-2F43-425D-A028-365B80964912.jpeg
    5DDCE204-2F43-425D-A028-365B80964912.jpeg
    935.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FED48ED1-9EB3-4B64-A649-87AF63D7E14D.jpeg
    FED48ED1-9EB3-4B64-A649-87AF63D7E14D.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back