Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #5,176 of 10,388
I've got a little brush, maybe use some soapy water??

:beyersmile:
You are kidding, right!
for any contact cleaning, this spray is better than the most.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner-Spray/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FZ6RI67E1GTY&keywords=deoxit&qid=1659968868&sprefix=deoxit,aps,128&sr=8-1
You only need a tiny puff on cable jacks and any sockets, it is safe.
For the plastic bits, either leave them alone or use cream cleaner on a damp sponge (not wet).

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #5,177 of 10,388
You are kidding, right!
for any contact cleaning, this spray is better than the most.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner-Spray/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FZ6RI67E1GTY&keywords=deoxit&qid=1659968868&sprefix=deoxit,aps,128&sr=8-1
You only need a tiny puff on cable jacks and any sockets, it is safe.
For the plastic bits, either leave them alone or use cream cleaner on a damp sponge (not wet).
Yes definitely kidding. Nevertheless thanks for the pointers.
"cleaning the USB" was my badly worded way of saying I'm going to focus on getting an isolator to reduce noise (if any) from the USB port.
For the potential outlay it's worth the experiment,.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #5,178 of 10,388
Hmmm… Have been mulling over picking up an M2 (despite my shock at the imo awful, slap-dash final exterior design, which I noted in this thread back when the unit dropped) but the recent discussion here is giving me pause.

The M2 is a device that is still a bit hard to get, despite some large stock fulfillment in the last couple of days at a few places. Meaning that historically, at this point on HeadFi, this thread should be a lovefest of delirious, orgyastic heights right about now… but it appears to be a bit muted, honestly. And on that other headphone site, the M2 discussion is positively lukewarm.

Maybe I’m being cautious with my $775, but that money, while not dizzying, is a bit more than the <$500 “take the gamble and maybe flip it” investment I usually regard as safe in this hobby. I dunno. Maybe it’s a nose thing... I can’t help smelling that perhaps something is off. At this point in the M1’s release, these forums were hot and steamy with the Mojo lust… it could do no wrong (this was before the battery stuff, obviously). Things seem comparatively room-temp for the M2 at the same juncture.

I mean, people obviously like it, but most people like anything new and shiny they’ve just dropped close to a grand on. The amount of small complaints, fixes, etc troubles me a bit.

Does anybody know what I mean? How after a while on this forum, you kind of develop a “product thread sixth-sense”, and can begin to tell the stuff that is legit fantastic, and will have staying power as a favorite… and the stuff that gets love at first, until the shininess wears off and people start writing what they really feel in a year of so? I can’t tell if my spidey-sense is tingling here or not.

Anyway, maybe I’m rambling. Maybe nobody knows what I’m talking about. I sometimes don’t myself, ha ha. Half of me really wants to take the gamble and pick the M2 up. The other half wants to wait a year or so and see what the final consensus is. Again, based on the not-exactly-lukewarm-but-not-exactly-rabid response here (and a bit worse other places), I could see the Mojo 2 being looked at in wildly different ways in 12-24 months… From a legit improvement on the M1, to an HD660-esque “side-grade”, to worse.

Decisions… to do it or not… hmmmm…

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #5,179 of 10,388
Hmmm… Have been mulling over picking up an M2 (despite my shock at the awful, slap-dash final design, which I noted in this thread back when the unit dropped) but the recent discussion here is giving me pause.

The M2 is a device that is still a bit hard to get, despite some large stock fulfillment in the last couple of days at a few places. Meaning that historically, at this point on HeadFi, this thread should be a lovefest of delirious, orgyastic heights right about now… but it appears to be a bit muted, honestly. And on that other headphone site, the M2 is even getting a bit bashed... almost.

Maybe I’m being cautious with my $775, but that money, while not dizzying, is a bit more than the <$500 “take the gamble and maybe flip it” investment I usually regard as safe in this hobby. I dunno. Maybe it’s a nose thing... I can’t help smelling that perhaps something is off. At this point in the M1’s release, these forums were hot and steamy with the Mojo lust… things seem comparatively room-temp for the M2.

I mean, people obviously like it, but most people like anything new and shiny they’ve just dropped close to a grand on. The amount of complaints, fixes, etc is troubling me. Does anybody know what I mean? How after a while on this forum, you can kind of get an idea of what’s legit fantastic, and will have staying power as a favorite… and what gets love at first, and then the shininess wears off and people start writing what they really feel?

Anyway, maybe I’m rambling. Maybe nobody knows what I’m talking about. I sometimes don’t myself, ha ha. Half of me really wants to take the gamble and pick the M2 up. The other half wants to wait a year and see what the final consensus is. Again, based on the not-exactly-lukewarm-but-not-exactly-rabid response here (and a bit worse other places), I could see the Mojo 2 being looked at in wildly different ways in 12 months… From a legit improvement on the M1, to an HD660-esque “side-grade”, to worse.
I understand where you're coming from. My feeling is the overall game has perhaps caught up with Chord, and the premium may not be as justifiable as it once was. And that's a good thing, competition is necessary. I wasn't in the hobby when the M1 released, but I imagine it was a clear step above other DACs at or around the price, hence its success. Now we're spoiled for choice.

For me the investment was very easy to justify: £450 retail, £200 recouped from selling my M1, that's a net £250 for a brand new example of the latest entry level DAC from a well regarded digital audio company. And supporting a UK manufacturer to boot.
No the SQ delta to M1 is not night and day, but to me there's enough there to justify the upgrade. In my view the DSP is unquestionably a great value add, it's simple and intuitive and offers just enough flexibility without overwhelming the user the way the RME ADI-2 does for example. And it works a treat.

As for the issues, in particular the white noise: I got my unit in late March, and it suffered from this for a few days. I played around with the PC / streaming settings, got a slightly better cable for good measure, and have not encountered the issue over the subsequent 5 months of daily listening. I hope others who experienced it have managed to get it under control too., but I also understand if this puts people off.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,180 of 10,388
I understand where you're coming from. My feeling is the overall game has perhaps caught up with Chord, and the premium may not be as justifiable as it once was. And that's a good thing, competition is necessary. I wasn't in the hobby when the M1 released, but I imagine it was a clear step above other DACs at or around the price, hence its success. Now we're spoiled for choice.

For me the investment was very easy to justify: £450 retail, £200 recouped from selling my M1, that's a net £250 for a brand new example of the latest entry level DAC from a well regarded digital audio company. And supporting a UK manufacturer to boot.
No the SQ delta to M1 is not night and day, but to me there's enough there to justify the upgrade. In my view the DSP is unquestionably a great value add, it's simple and intuitive and offers just enough flexibility without overwhelming the user the way the RME ADI-2 does for example. And it works a treat.

As for the issues, in particular the white noise: I got my unit in late March, and it suffered from this for a few days. I played around with the PC / streaming settings, got a slightly better cable for good measure, and have not encountered the issue over the subsequent 5 months of daily listening. I hope others who experienced it have managed to get it under control too., but I also understand if this puts people off.
I would agree with pretty much all that Derivative has mentioned. I followed the same route, trading in my M1, although I note the M2 price has since increased to £495 which may help explain its current widespread availability in the UK.
Personally, I found the SQ improvement to be larger than I had expected in all aspects, which may also be partly down to being able to use the EQ to complement its output to my headphones (there is now no way I would consider upgrading to a more expensive Chord DAC until that EQ feature trickles up).
However, the biggest change for me has been that I am now using it much more extensively in my home hifi setup than I ever did with the M1. There are probably three main reasons for this. Firstly, to me, the sound using CD/hi-res streaming seems hugely improved over M1 in this situation. Secondly, I am far more comfortable leaving it attached to the mains, and thirdly, the WiiM Mini now works as an ideal streamer to the M2, allowing remote control of bit-perfect music streaming services with no fear of white noise (it’s an optical connection).
So for me the reason for little activity on this forum is because I am now listening to more music post-M2/Wiim.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #5,181 of 10,388
I would agree with pretty much all that Derivative has mentioned. I followed the same route, trading in my M1, although I note the M2 price has since increased to £495 which may help explain its current widespread availability in the UK.
Personally, I found the SQ improvement to be larger than I had expected in all aspects, which may also be partly down to being able to use the EQ to complement its output to my headphones (there is now no way I would consider upgrading to a more expensive Chord DAC until that EQ feature trickles up).
However, the biggest change for me has been that I am now using it much more extensively in my home hifi setup than I ever did with the M1. There are probably three main reasons for this. Firstly, to me, the sound using CD/hi-res streaming seems hugely improved over M1 in this situation. Secondly, I am far more comfortable leaving it attached to the mains, and thirdly, the WiiM Mini now works as an ideal streamer to the M2, allowing remote control of bit-perfect music streaming services with no fear of white noise (it’s an optical connection).
So for me the reason for little activity on this forum is because I am now listening to more music post-M2/Wiim.
Yes, I'm in agreement that the sound of the M2 is an important sound upgrade from the OG (M1), the biggest improvements for me are:

- the bass/midbass is much improved with better resolution and clarity
- the imaging/soundstage is even more focused and precise
- overall better clarity and excellent coherence
- the dynamics are noticeably better!

Very precise and musical sounding, although the M1 is still very good!

Those that didn't hear big differences may have been limiting its potential with accompanying equipment, (see my previous posts if interested).
Also, there are plenty of other excellent DACS to choose from, some much cheaper. I'm just reporting what works for me.

Price considered, with my equipment I prefer the M2's musicality to that of the Hugo 2!

When using my Grado GR10e IEM's I find leaving the cross feed on the lowest (red) setting adds even more solidity and punch to the sound.
I've figured out the best eq settings and I now wouldn't want to give up these features. It took some experimentation
over a few months to figure out the very best eq with each of my three headphones.

As I've stated previously, different gear for different users. The M1 is still a really good performer and can sound stellar in the right setup.
The M2 is overall fully worth the price to me and is good enough that I'm not interested in any upgrades...fully satisfying!

To those that are skeptical of Chord products and of Rob Watts designs - I say that for me the proof is in the listening.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #5,182 of 10,388
An excellent reason!

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #5,183 of 10,388

What streaming settings and cable helped to resolve your white noise issue, because I've had no luck?

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #5,185 of 10,388
edit : wrong thread

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #5,186 of 10,388
Hmmm… Have been mulling over picking up an M2 (despite my shock at the imo awful, slap-dash final exterior design, which I noted in this thread back when the unit dropped) but the recent discussion here is giving me pause.

The M2 is a device that is still a bit hard to get, despite some large stock fulfillment in the last couple of days at a few places. Meaning that historically, at this point on HeadFi, this thread should be a lovefest of delirious, orgyastic heights right about now… but it appears to be a bit muted, honestly. And on that other headphone site, the M2 discussion is positively lukewarm.

Maybe I’m being cautious with my $775, but that money, while not dizzying, is a bit more than the <$500 “take the gamble and maybe flip it” investment I usually regard as safe in this hobby. I dunno. Maybe it’s a nose thing... I can’t help smelling that perhaps something is off. At this point in the M1’s release, these forums were hot and steamy with the Mojo lust… it could do no wrong (this was before the battery stuff, obviously). Things seem comparatively room-temp for the M2 at the same juncture.

I mean, people obviously like it, but most people like anything new and shiny they’ve just dropped close to a grand on. The amount of small complaints, fixes, etc troubles me a bit.

Does anybody know what I mean? How after a while on this forum, you kind of develop a “product thread sixth-sense”, and can begin to tell the stuff that is legit fantastic, and will have staying power as a favorite… and the stuff that gets love at first, until the shininess wears off and people start writing what they really feel in a year of so? I can’t tell if my spidey-sense is tingling here or not.

Anyway, maybe I’m rambling. Maybe nobody knows what I’m talking about. I sometimes don’t myself, ha ha. Half of me really wants to take the gamble and pick the M2 up. The other half wants to wait a year or so and see what the final consensus is. Again, based on the not-exactly-lukewarm-but-not-exactly-rabid response here (and a bit worse other places), I could see the Mojo 2 being looked at in wildly different ways in 12-24 months… From a legit improvement on the M1, to an HD660-esque “side-grade”, to worse.

Decisions… to do it or not… hmmmm…
Exactly my thoughts before I decided to jump on the recent in-stock situation and order one. I was wondering, why doesn’t this thread have more activity? Maybe my Spidey-Sense was on to something here too and this wasn‘t a great product. Well, after listening for a lot of hours over the last 3 days since I received it, I can honestly say, I’m not disappointed.

I don’t keep a sig current, but my current gear is: Sony headphones/IEMs (MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M9, MDR-1A [OG, which I like better than Mark2 version]); basic DAPs (Sony ZX507, FiiO M11+LTD); iPads and iPhones with DACs (Mojo 2, L&P W2 [OG], Paw S2); desktop setup: LUMIN U1 Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC (with a nice PEQ for the MDR-Z1R). Speaking of PEQ, I can’t listen to the MDR-Z1R without it; the IER-Z1R, on the other hand, need no PEQ. This is noteworthy in this thread since the IER-Z1R sound *awesome* on the Mojo 2 with no EQ, but I needed the DSP on the Mojo 2 to get the MDR-Z1R close to where I’m used to it sounding (compared to my PEQ settings in the RME ADI-2 DAC, and UAPP Toneboosters 10-band PEQ on my Android devices). I got it close (see below). Also, the MDR-1A (with a little EQ), and the IER-Z1R (with no EQ) sound sublime. I know, how could I still love such a flawed headphone like the MDR-1A? Well, I have 2 pairs, and love them; really an underrated headphone, IMO. But my main driver is the IER-Z1R, which has just perfect synergy with the Mojo 2.

For me, the Mojo 2 sounds very resolving and accurate, but it makes my kit sound different than with any other gear. For instance, my Sony headphones/IEMs, which usually have recessed mids and accentuated bass and treble (e.g., V-shaped) are behaving a little differently than I’m used to: the mids are less recessed, and the treble is a little too strong in some cases (easily handled with the Mojo 2 DSP), and the bass benefits from some boost.

Note: for me, Crossfeed (CF) is interesting with my kit; it doesn’t just mix left and right channels, it raises the mids and adds some bass; so, in some cases the EQ needs to be modded when the CF changes. I find CF-Red lifts the mids just the right amount for my Sony V-shaped kit for some songs with obvious recessed mids; so even if I say Crossfeed is OFF, I will switch it on if the vocals seem dull or pushed back. I find CF-Green doesn’t change the mids any more than CF1-Red but collapses the sound-stage and adds more bass, if fact, too much for my liking with the bass-heavy Sony kit I use, so I don’t use CF-Green. I will use CF-Blue sometimes for old wide stereo mixes or mono stuff though.

Here are some EQs I came up with that work well, and which are visualized using the Excel tool published here a few pages back, by @jarnopp ,thanks for building that tool.
Since the DSP is not like PEQ, and this Excel tool is just an approximation, and also there is something going on with the mids and bass even without DSP, I find it’s more trial-and-error-and-listening than like creating a PEQ correction curve; so take it with a grain of salt.

EQ (for MDR-Z1R):
+2, +1, -2, 0
Crossfeed-Red: MDR-Z1R has such great soundstage, but the Mojo 2 Crossfeed-Red setting just makes the MDR-Z1R sound correct to my ears with my EQ shown below. I don’t use CF-Green, and I’ll use CF-Blue only rarely with old wide stereo mixes or mono stuff.

If bass is too much for a song, reduce 20Hz to +1 temporarily; otherwise, the added bass balances the treble peak that I can’t dial out with this rudimentary DSP without burying the already recessed mids and lower treble.

1663875067872.jpeg

This is the best I can make the MDR-Z1R sound on the Mojo2; it’s OK. In contrast, the 10-band (Oratory1990) PEQ on my Android DAPs with UAPP (via ToneBoosters add-on) is perfect (even better than my custom PEQ on the RME ADi-2 DAC for the MDR-Z1R). Plus the EQ (shown in next graph) for the MDR-1A make that much smaller/lighter/convenient headphone (MDR-1A) sound great, and a better choice for mobile use.

Also, the IER-Z1R IEMs are perfect on the Mojo2 with no EQ or Crossfeed (and my preferred pairing with the Mojo2), so I’m not sure how often I’ll use the MDR-Z1Rs on Mojo2.

So… IMO…*my* best headphone/earphones for the mojo 2 are the IER-Z1R with no DSP…by far; they sound perfect on the mojo 2. If my ears need a break from having something jammed in them, I’ll use the MDR-Z1R, unless if I need something more portable, in which case I’ll use the MDR-1A.

EQ (for MDR-1A) :
+1, -1, 0 , 0
No Crossfeed usually (it seems to muddy the presentation on the MDR-1A). But I did like some songs with Crossfeed-Red. And if you really love sub-bass, +2, -1, 0, 0, w/ Crossfeed-Red, is cool every now and then.

AF7A65CE-5D78-4303-A19E-3CAA322DAA47.jpeg

I know this looks like an EQ that barely modifies the sound, but that little dip removes an annoying bass resonance for me, and nothing else needs modification for me for the 1A to sound great with the Mojo 2.

TLDR: Although those DSP settings for the MDR-Z1R and MDR-1A helps them sound great on the Mojo 2, I’m mostly listening with IER-Z1R IEMs with *no EQ*, and it is the best they have ever sounded; but I like to use Crossfeed Red as necessary for the song if the mids seem too recessed; Crossfeed Blue only rarely, for old mixes with very wide left/right channel separation, or mono stuff.

Cheers,
Gus

(edited: changed DSP slightly after more time listening)
….
(edited to add IER-M9 EQ):
+2, 0, 0, +1
No Crossfeed. Crossfeed Red or Green was a little muddy when I tried it, but lowering 20Hz to +1 would compensate if I wanted CF.

6DD0E167-6E4F-47B2-861A-DB4B36B68FB2.jpeg

edited: to update my impressions of Crossfeed.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #5,187 of 10,388
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #5,188 of 10,388
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #5,189 of 10,388

Users who are viewing this thread

Back