Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,807 of 10,407
Sure! Thanks for reminding me to use my IEMs with the Allo. I usually just walk around with these guys or they are for listening to music while in the office.

USB (included cable) v. the Allo DigiOne Signature with Alclair RSM Quad IEMs:
  • Cliche' blacker background with the Allo
  • Smoother drum hits (especially cymbals). This is really apparent with rock and metal for me. The drums make more sense. Cymbals sound less like artifacting.
  • The biggest difference is that the stage seems to decompress. It expands well outside of my head and this gives me a strange comforting relief. I'm not straining to make sense of sounds as much.
I think a lot about this 'straining to make sense of sounds'. Whether I'm listening to IEMs or my speakers on my sofa; I notice that sometimes it's difficult to relax my face. I close my eyes but I'm still squinting as if I am looking for things because something doesn't quite make sense. I think that's the cause. I'm actually squinting.

The change from the Mojo 1 to the 2 results in a lot less squinting. The change from the USB to the Allo/Coax input is about equally as big of a change. If you're currently using USB to a Mojo and listen to Roon, I highly recommend the Allo DigiOne signature. With that said, I imagine these are similar to the changes I would see using a Poly as a roon endpoint as well.

I'm considering picking up a used Poly to compare. But at the price of the DigiOne, the used Poly would need to be a great deal. I could use the poly/OG mojo as an endpoint by my bedside for my IEMs. I often forget how much i like these IEMs because I'm generally using the USB input, so again, thank you for reminding me.
If you're using the included USB charging cable to connect the Mojo the sound in my opinion will be far below what it's capable of and will be midfi-ish. So many reviews of the Mojo 1 said that it wasn't a step up from something like the Dragonfly, never specifying which cable was used so it was in all likelihood a generic. While Poly will likely
give the very best sound quality, an appropriate and synergistic USB cable can/will bring out close to the best that the Mojo
can do (if you're using USB that is)...when I went from a generic USB cable to the Curious Hugo Link (together with AQ Jitterbug), the difference in my setup was night and day and finally I was getting the musical and sound performance I was reading about! (The Curious only cost me $120 Cn used and was an awesome purchase, I love it!)

USB cables can vary a lot in how much of the DAC's performance can come through!

....and looking forward to Mojo 2, may be arriving later this week!!! << ===========

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,808 of 10,407
Early peek review, I've listened to about 20 songs and narrowed it down to 10-12 and have written 3 of the songs I spent a lot of time with and testing the DSP EQ and just about everything in-between. I'm most likely going to put this in the review section with all songs. I don't do a lot of review writing on the forums, but I felt inspired with the Mojo 2 and Poly, and a few asked how the HD800s paired with the Mojo 2. All I can say is give my post a look over, and I think you will find it's a fine pairing.

I've spent most of the day with the HD800s and Mojo 2 direct USB-C to 16 MacBook Pro, Mojo 2 / Poly using Roon (testing on iPhone room remote and the Desktop app), and connected to my iPhone 11's hotspot. I was going to test against the Mojo 1, but I've it up as I will be giving it to my son, who's turning 12 and loves spending hours with my headphone gear. So far, I'm 110% addicted to the Poly with Roon, though using my iPhone as a hotspot will be perfect for outside the house and works great.

First things first, I've tested with the DPS EQ, and I will also include all four settings on each song as to what sounds best to my ears, so please factor in subjective listening and tuning; why not have some fun EQing? So far as volume settings, I will also include those for each track but generally very close. Most music outside of some Metal and EDM I don't listen very loud as I feel it takes away from the details and nuances of the song. I used my older Campfire Cascade 3.5mm stock cloth Litz cable to get a direct connection instead of a ton of adapters. I will also list where the song was sourced from, streaming or hi-res download. I have an extensive collection of digital tracks from CD quality to DSD but use streaming services if I don't have the track.

Disclaimer: I don't generally write many reviews, so I did my best to articulate what I subjectively heard from the Chord Mojo 2.

Roon Core on MacBook Pro and Roon Ready
No Crossfeed Mode
EQ Settings
will be in this format but with + and - : | Bass 20 Hz | Bass 125 Hz shelf | Treble 3 kHz shelf | Treble 20 kHz |
Volume Settings format for volume levels and the mode was in higher gain: | | |

Listening Session:

1. Christel Alsos - Turn The Music Loud // FLAC 48kHz 24bit // from OTOTOY.jp

EQ Settings: | +1 | +4 | -3 | +1 |
Volume Settings: | | |

Currently, Turn The Music Loud is one of my favorite female tracks, and I enjoy listening to all of Christel Alsos's albums. I like using this track to test headphones to see how they handle layered female vocals (especially the chorus), percussion instruments, and electric keyboards. I added DPS EQ to bring a little more upper bass, which helped the HD800s add more weight in the bass/upper base; DPS EQ was a game-changer. The Mojo 2 did an excellent job articulating the verses where Christel's vocals have more breath than the layered vocals in the chorus. However, some words have vocal layering throughout the verses and sound great, just like the chorus. Back to the upper bass shelf set to +4, the HD800s are not known for their bass, but the DSP EQ is like pure magic. That's the best I can describe it. I could have pushed it to +5, but I didn't want to overpower the rest of the frequency range. The current settings kept the verse vocals front and center with a nice balance; no need to overdo it. I noticed a little more air and detail than I do with my Hugo 2, but that's from memory as I did not do any A/B testing. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a little extra dynamics from the Mojo 2 on the HD800s and never felt underpowered. Finally, I wanted to touch on the 3 kHz shelf setting. At least on this recording, it sounded a little too warm for my subjective taste, and -3 helped to liven things up. It did lose some warmth, but I liked the changes and gave more energy back to the upper bass. Perfecto!

___

1. Minor Majority - Wish You'd Hold That Smile // FLAC 48kHz 16bit // from Physical CD Rip

After tweaking around the EQ and sound, I decided to keep it exactly as the 1st song as it sounded just right to my ears. It benefits the HD800s due to their anemic bottom-end. This song is male vocals, and the singer's range goes lower than average, and the +4 125 Hz shelf boost gave weight to the lyrics to give it a bit more depth, soul, and warmth. The vocals are my favorite part because having EQ again changed the HD800s just enough to sound like a spiritual successor. The verses had weaved in vocal harmonizing, and between all the singers, it was smooth and sultry. If you like guitars, mainly acoustic, it's a real treat with the HD800s. As I mentioned, it gives an excellent forward placement and a variety of 3 to 4 guitars on many of their songs. If you like Scandinavia, Pop, and Folk with many guitars, this is a great band to own a few albums. Once again, I truly enjoyed the Mojo 2, Poly, and HD800s pairing; it defiantly brought the folk vibe.

___

1. Holly Cole - Train Song // DSF DSD64 // from the digital download, I bought the album years ago, and I don't remember where 😢

EQ Settings: | +5 | +4 | -1 | +3 |

The temptation album is a real treat if you like a cozy smooth jazz atmosphere with female vocals. Did I mention bass, a wide range of percussion instruments, and everything in-between; I had to put Train Song into the listening session. The HD800s shine here due to their vast soundstage, and Train Song does not disappoint, though I did have to increase the volume a bit due to the song's dynamic range. Throughout the song, you get a treat of pinpoint percussion placement that sweeps across the soundstage and has been my go-to track when demoing headphones. Holly's vocals are centered and never pushed. It ranges from laid-back to nice eloquent word pronunciations, though I had to slightly increase the volume due to the song's dynamic range. Take notice the EQ was pushed up in the bottom end, especially 20 Hz. Once again, the HD800s needed as much help to dig deep, and the Mojo 2 EQ helped bring the bass up without the Mojo 2 sounding artificial; Rob Watts, you're a freakin' genius. When I listen to this album, I hardly reach for the HD800s, but I can't say it enough, the DSP EQ is magic and once again shined. I've never heard the HD800s do as much justice as it could with acoustic bass, though it wasn't a Sony MDR-Z1R overweighed bass. However, the Mojo 2 helped out the HD800s to reach lower with extra volume. It will be interesting to see how the Focal Clear Mg Pro handle this song, as I feel it won't need as much 20 Hz and 125 Hz shelf EQing.

___

More to come but on the Mojo 2 review page. Some Trance/EDM, Soundtracks, Metal, Orchestral, focused on bass, and more!

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,809 of 10,407
Does anyone knows how to access to SD Card in Hotspot mode?

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,810 of 10,407
Early peek review, I've listened to about 20 songs and narrowed it down to 10-12 and have written 3 of the songs I spent a lot of time with and testing the DSP EQ and just about everything in-between. I'm most likely going to put this in the review section with all songs. I don't do a lot of review writing on the forums, but I felt inspired with the Mojo 2 and Poly, and a few asked how the HD800s paired with the Mojo 2. All I can say is give my post a look over, and I think you will find it's a fine pairing.

I've spent most of the day with the HD800s and Mojo 2 direct USB-C to 16 MacBook Pro, Mojo 2 / Poly using Roon (testing on iPhone room remote and the Desktop app), and connected to my iPhone 11's hotspot. I was going to test against the Mojo 1, but I've it up as I will be giving it to my son, who's turning 12 and loves spending hours with my headphone gear. So far, I'm 110% addicted to the Poly with Roon, though using my iPhone as a hotspot will be perfect for outside the house and works great.

First things first, I've tested with the DPS EQ, and I will also include all four settings on each song as to what sounds best to my ears, so please factor in subjective listening and tuning; why not have some fun EQing? So far as volume settings, I will also include those for each track but generally very close. Most music outside of some Metal and EDM I don't listen very loud as I feel it takes away from the details and nuances of the song. I used my older Campfire Cascade 3.5mm stock cloth Litz cable to get a direct connection instead of a ton of adapters. I will also list where the song was sourced from, streaming or hi-res download. I have an extensive collection of digital tracks from CD quality to DSD but use streaming services if I don't have the track.

Disclaimer: I don't generally write many reviews, so I did my best to articulate what I subjectively heard from the Chord Mojo 2.

No Crossfeed Mode
EQ Settings
will be in this format but with + and - : | Bass 20 Hz | Bass 125 Hz shelf | Treble 3 kHz shelf | Treble 20 kHz |

Listening Session:

Currently, Turn The Music Loud is one of my favorite female tracks, and I enjoy listening to all of Christel Alsos's albums. I like using this track to test headphones to see how they handle layered female vocals (especially the chorus), percussion instruments, and electric keyboards. I added DPS EQ to bring a little more upper bass, which helped the HD800s add more weight in the bass/upper base; DPS EQ was a game-changer. The Mojo 2 did an excellent job articulating the verses where Christel's vocals have more breath than the layered vocals in the chorus. However, some words have vocal layering throughout the verses and sound great, just like the chorus. Back to the upper bass shelf set to +4, the HD800s are not known for their bass, but the DSP EQ is like pure magic. That's the best I can describe it. I could have pushed it to +5, but I didn't want to overpower the rest of the frequency range. The current settings kept the verse vocals front and center with a nice balance; no need to overdo it. I noticed a little more air and detail than I do with my Hugo 2, but that's from memory as I did not do any A/B testing. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a little extra dynamics from the Mojo 2 on the HD800s and never felt underpowered. Finally, I wanted to touch on the 3 kHz shelf setting. At least on this recording, it sounded a little too warm for my subjective taste, and -3 helped to liven things up. It did lose some warmth, but I liked the changes and gave more energy back to the upper bass. Perfecto!

___

1. Minor Majority - Wish You'd Hold That Smile // FLAC 48kHz 16bit // from Physical CD Rip

After tweaking around the EQ and sound, I decided to keep it exactly as the 1st song as it sounded just right to my ears. It benefits the HD800s due to their anemic bottom-end. This song is male vocals, and the singer's range goes lower than average, and the +4 125 Hz shelf boost gave weight to the lyrics to give it a bit more depth, soul, and warmth. The vocals are my favorite part because having EQ again changed the HD800s just enough to sound like a spiritual successor. The verses had weaved in vocal harmonizing, and between all the singers, it was smooth and sultry. If you like guitars, mainly acoustic, it's a real treat with the HD800s. As I mentioned, it gives an excellent forward placement and a variety of 3 to 4 guitars on many of their songs. If you like Scandinavia, Pop, and Folk with many guitars, this is a great band to own a few albums. Once again, I truly enjoyed the Mojo 2, Poly, and HD800s pairing; it defiantly brought the folk vibe.

___

1. Holly Cole - Train Song // DSF DSD64 // from the digital download, I bought the album years ago, and I don't remember where 😢

The temptation album is a real treat if you like a cozy smooth jazz atmosphere with female vocals. Did I mention bass, a wide range of percussion instruments, and everything in-between; I had to put Train Song into the listening session. The HD800s shine here due to their vast soundstage, and Train Song does not disappoint, though I did have to increase the volume a bit due to the song's dynamic range. Throughout the song, you get a treat of pinpoint percussion placement that sweeps across the soundstage and has been my go-to track when demoing headphones. Holly's vocals are centered and never pushed. It ranges from laid-back to nice eloquent word pronunciations, though I had to slightly increase the volume due to the song's dynamic range. Take notice the EQ was pushed up in the bottom end, especially 20 Hz. Once again, the HD800s needed as much help to dig deep, and the Mojo 2 EQ helped bring the bass up without the Mojo 2 sounding artificial; Rob Watts, you're a freakin' genius. When I listen to this album, I hardly reach for the HD800s, but I can't say it enough, the DSP EQ is magic and once again shined. I've never heard the HD800s do as much justice as it could with acoustic bass, though it wasn't a Sony MDR-Z1R overweighed bass. However, the Mojo 2 helped out the HD800s to reach lower with extra volume. It will be interesting to see how the Focal Clear Mg Pro handle this song, as I feel it won't need as much 20 Hz and 125 Hz shelf EQing.

___

More to come but on the Mojo 2 review page. Some Trance/EDM, Soundtracks, Metal, Orchestral, focused on bass, and more!

awesome write up and impressions.

im always weary about applying too much EQ because its often not a case of what the dac can handle but what the drivers in the IEM can handle, i aswell have found though that the EQ does work really well when the headphones are up to the task and deliver.

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #2,811 of 10,407

No Crossfeed Mode
EQ Settings

Listening Session:

___

___

___

the use of the coloured dots in your review aswell... genius! makes it so clear what you did and how it shaped the sound.

Feb 20, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,812 of 10,407
New Mojo 2 (received it yesterday) with Poly and a slightly modified old case. All is good!
IMG_0855.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,813 of 10,407
New Mojo 2 (received it yesterday) with Poly with a slightly modified old case. All is good!IMG_0855.jpeg
Looks good enough to me.
Just a suggestion:
the red thread where you cut it may come loose.
- get a flat cardboard or plastic. put a drop of superglue on it.
- use a needle, dipped in ssuperglue , apply tiniest amount to ends of the thread, perhaps in between leather layers.
let it dry naturally , don't blow at it!
Should last a little longer.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,814 of 10,407
If you're using the included USB charging cable to connect the Mojo the sound in my opinion will be far below what it's capable of and will be midfi-ish. So many reviews of the Mojo 1 said that it wasn't a step up from something like the Dragonfly, never specifying which cable was used so it was in all likelihood a generic. While Poly will likely
give the very best sound quality, an appropriate and synergistic USB cable can/will bring out close to the best that the Mojo
can do (if you're using USB that is)...when I went from a generic USB cable to the Curious Hugo Link (together with AQ Jitterbug), the difference in my setup was night and day and finally I was getting the musical and sound performance I was reading about! (The Curious only cost me $120 Cn used and was an awesome purchase, I love it!)

USB cables can vary a lot in how much of the DAC's performance can come through!

....and looking forward to Mojo 2, may be arriving later this week!!! << ===========

I used the included cable out of convenience. I rarely use a mojo with USB.

I've used many many cables with and without intermediates like ferrite chokes, the Schiit Wyrd and Audioquest Jitterbug. My favorite has been the AQ Evergreen cable with an AQ Jitterbug. But still, I prefer feeding the Mojo from my Allo DigiOne Sig With coax.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,816 of 10,407
You'll need an app on your phone that supports DLNA or MPD. Is your phone android or apple?
It wasn't working with MAFA or BubbleUPnP but i was able to sort it out and now it's working flawlessly. Doesn't work with M.A.L.P. though.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #2,818 of 10,407
Thanks. It’s really helpful to hear honest criticism as well as praise when reviewing these threads! Perhaps radio frequency interference was part of the problem? Otherwise, I can definitely imagine higher end gear (Chord Dave) making cheaper gear sound inferior in comparison. That’s probably the biggest issue I have with this hobby, always chasing after the next increment in sound improvement. For example I have the mojo 1 and I’m fighting tooth and nail not to purchase the mojo 2 to as I enjoy it tremendously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back