Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,576 of 10,240
I completely fail to understand everyone who complains about the unfortunate micro usb socket. What would it change? From what Rob Watts has written here on head.fi, charging the battery with fdpa technology is faster, and in stationary mode it disconnects the battery when not in use, so you no longer need to disconnect the battery as I did on my Mojo 1st gen. For data transfer there is USB-C and microUSB. Think of all the Poly owners when their streamer is no longer compatible with the next generation Mojo overnight (I don't own a Poly).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #1,577 of 10,240
I completely fail to understand everyone who complains about the unfortunate micro usb socket. What would it change? From what Rob Watts has written here on head.fi, charging the battery with fdpa technology is faster, and in stationary mode it disconnects the battery when not in use, so you no longer need to disconnect the battery as I did on my Mojo 1st gen. For data transfer there is USB-C and microUSB. Think of all the Poly owners when their streamer is no longer compatible with the next generation Mojo overnight (I don't own a Poly).
With USB C PD they could make it charge faster, and with almost everything being USB C nowadays a single cable can charge most things.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #1,578 of 10,240
The micro-usb connection failed on my original Mojo just as I was considering stumping up for a Poly. Listening via optical SPDIF for a year.. waiting hopefully for an improved Mojo 2. Hoping it would be a combined MojoPoly in one (without the flimsy micro-usb connection).The only really portable solution. No such luck. Micro-usb does fail - so keep your fingers crossed.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,579 of 10,240
The life cycle of Chord products are usually very long so connector may not be a deal breaker but it is a concern.

Mojo 2 is what it is so what I really want is new Poly lite version with:

•Smaller size
•One USB-C for data and charging, then we can forget Micro USB for years
•Better Bluetooth codec support
•APP can control DSP functions of Mojo 2 through Bluetooth, Menu button operation is too complicated.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,580 of 10,240
With USB C PD they could make it charge faster, and with almost everything being USB C nowadays a single cable can charge most things.
IMG_20220201_014256.jpg

But charging is faster on the newer generation Mojo 2 anyway, and one more cable makes such a big difference? Of course, I'm writing my opinion from the point of view of stationary use and not mobile use.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,581 of 10,240
Jan 31, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,582 of 10,240
I guess what I am thinking is:
- if it sounds better than the Mojo, then ultimately that’s all I care about
- there are no other options that produce this sound quality, I guess I’m getting a Mojo2

However if it turns out to not be a huge improvement on the original or another DAC/AMP can do it better than I will buy that.

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,583 of 10,240
It's 2022 and a new product is released with micro USB in , 4 band equalizer and 3,5mm outputs only. I'd consider that as an epic fail. ⁉️
I think that people who consider the USB port type and only 3.5mm socket as more important than everything else about the device, of which nobody else makes anything close to the abilities of, most definitely shouldn't buy one. It's the wrong product for you, without a doubt.
Micro-USB connectors are an abomination and over the years has caused several devices of mine to fail. They have no place on premium product at this price point in 2022.
I've had USB-C connectors fail. The most reliable connector I've used has been Apple's Lightning.
I hope Chord takes the heavy feedback they‘ve received and introduces a non-Poly Gen 1 compatible version of the Mojo 2 with dual USB-C I/O. Its a simple problem to rework and would pave the way for a better, smaller Poly 2.
Why would they cause market confusion and a huge amount of trouble for themselves re-designing a product completely, just because a few people on a forum complained? Like the Mojo, thousands of people will buy them, and almost all wont care about the USB port type.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,584 of 10,240
The micro-usb connection failed on my original Mojo just as I was considering stumping up for a Poly. Listening via optical SPDIF for a year.. waiting hopefully for an improved Mojo 2. Hoping it would be a combined MojoPoly in one (without the flimsy micro-usb connection).The only really portable solution. No such luck. Micro-usb does fail - so keep your fingers crossed.
You didn't think this through I guess. The micro USB you will only use for charging. For data you can use either the data micro or type C USB port. I doubt the charging micro usb port will ever fail if you treat your unit half decently. As for the data port, failures tend to occur due to mobile use but even in that case you have two of those on Mojo 2,so redundancy is assured.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,585 of 10,240
Why would they cause market confusion and a huge amount of trouble for themselves re-designing a product completely, as well as causing market confusion, just because a few people on a forum complained? Like the Mojo, thousands of people will buy them, and almost all wont care about the USB port type.
Of course they could as part of a mid-product life cycle update in 2024 and retire the original Poly at that time. Many, many companies do life cycle impulse updates. Has Chord adapted to user feedback from forums and reviewers? Yes, the USB input in the Blu Mk II was added based on feedback from this very forum (see here and all the prior pages).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,588 of 10,240
Very fast charging means shorter battery life. Might not be an issue for a phone that you replace every 1-2 years but for a device like Mojo 2 that should last you much longer, that's a bummer. I bet that most folks complaining about not being able to charge via the type-C port would be whining about the lack of separation between data and power if that was implemented :D

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,589 of 10,240
I think that people who consider the USB port type and only 3.5mm socket as more important than everything else about the device, of which nobody else makes anything close to the abilities of, most definitely shouldn't buy one. It's the wrong product for you, without a doubt.

I've had USB-C connectors fail. The most reliable connector I've used has been Apple's Lightning.

Why would they cause market confusion and a huge amount of trouble for themselves re-designing a product completely, just because a few people on a forum complained? Like the Mojo, thousands of people will buy them, and almost all wont care about the USB port type.
I agree. The usbc on my ipad pro is loosening. All the lightning connectors on iphones and other ipads are still tight. After consideration I think Chord did the right thing by making the mojo 2 poly compatible. Without that it would be off my radar.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,590 of 10,240
I personally would have preferred for the M2 design not to have been held back by the Poly, but a separate Poly to M2 adapter sold.
That said, it won't prevent me from me purchasing the M2 at some point in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back