Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,201 of 10,448
Here in Europe, the Mojo 2 is Euros 599 ... which puts it head-to-head on price with ifi Gryphon, also at Euros 599. Arguably, and on paper only, the Gryphon has more going for it. So the Mojo 2 really only has SQ to differentiate itself (?) ... it will HAVE to be 'outstanding'. I have delayed purchasing a Gryphon when I heard about the Mojo 2 ... I'm looking forward to hear the user feedback ... and preferably a comparison.
I was unfamiliar with the Gryphon so I just had a look at it. Yeah on paper it seems to have a lot more going for it. When price constraints are imposed on a DAC, that's not always a good thing. Smart though to wait for reports to come back. Both look like great options and I don't think anyone could go wrong with either choice.

Having said that, I think the eq feature in Mojo 2 is going to be a real difference-maker. That has a good chance of leaving much of the competition in the dust. I base that on how much folks here fiddle with different pads to try to get the sound they prefer from their headphones. Mojo 2 owners might not have to mess with such things going forward.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #1,202 of 10,448
people have **** home networks or use crappy wifi router or insist they want to avoid Apple products at all cost - in other words mostly user errors...
I have not used Poly but saying something doesn’t work for some one because of some crappy router is just absurd. Do they specify on their product page about the Wi-Fi setup or network setup one should have for it to work? If they have then that’s fine but if they haven’t then Chord can’t say it is problem at user end when a crappy phone or laptop of same user works perfectly fine on same crappy network. Also doesn’t it mean to work on crappy airport and bus stand Wi-Fi across the globe ?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #1,204 of 10,448
I have not used Poly but saying something doesn’t work for some one because of some crappy router is just absurd.
I don't think it's actually true that crappy routers are the problem. The Poly isn't quite a resilient though to network glitches than a good many other devices. It's gotten a lot better with the new firmware.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #1,205 of 10,448
Everyone slating Poly at the moment have you all tried the latest firmware iteration as literally all the flaws are now ironed out and it works exceptionally well imho.
it doesnt change the basic functionality, which I believe is the same, to connect my phone to poly when im out id have to make a wifi hotspot, and then pair them. I cant just play music from the sd card via bluetooth, with no hotspot needed at any point. Or am i wrong?

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,206 of 10,448
it doesnt change the basic functionality, which I believe is the same, to connect my phone to poly when im out id have to make a wifi hotspot, and then pair them. I cant just play music from the sd card via bluetooth, with no hotspot needed at any point. Or am i wrong?
Bluetooth sound quality sucks. If you want to use Bluetooth, just buy and IFI Go Blu or Sony WF-1000XM4 and pair it with your smartphone..

Those who don't have the Poly have no idea how much better the sound quality is when the signal is streaming directly over Wifi than either USB or Bluetooth or Airplay.

I could never get the iPhone hotspot to work with the Poly to allow me to stream to it. Maybe it works now, but I wasted to much time trying to get it to work, I am done trying.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,207 of 10,448
I realize why there is so much discussion about the Poly concerning the Mojo2, but it seems like a lot of the conversation specific to the Poly pros and cons could go to the poly thread.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,208 of 10,448
I could never get the iPhone hotspot to work with the Poly to allow me to stream to it. Maybe it works now, but I wasted to much time trying to get it to work, I am done trying.

takes 3min

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #1,209 of 10,448
No retailer will say no to your money although no pricing is official yet. I phoned in to my dealer and paid a deposit to reserve for day 1 dispatch 🤞🏽
Any retailer advertising a pre-order pre-embargo is risking getting no stock at all. That would be rather embarrassing, having to refund all their customers.
The part of the market that is willing to accept not having bluetooth is small and shrinking.
You mean, I think it should have Bluetooth. I think, like someone else suggested, a Gryphon is a better option if you want Bluetooth, and I haven't tried it yet. Maybe when APTx Lossless becomes available... and if it is actually lossless and works reliably (I'm willing to best that most of the time it isn't lossless). Chord obviously have put their energy in the Poly and true lossless transmission using WiFi, though it has been something of a rough ride.
This really charges with microUSB? In 2022?
Here's what I think the logic is here:
You might ask, why not have both ports as they have with the data port, if they want to keep Poly compatibility? I'm willing to bet there's a reason preventing that, such as safety. There is always some idiot out there that will try and use both charging ports at the same time, maybe with a Poly connected, and fry the device, for example. Two ports may also not meet whatever charging specifications it is supposed to meet. Basically, a bad idea overall. Then, of course, between the minor inconvenience of having to use a micro USB cable, versus the major inconvenience of Poly customers being screwed over, I think the choice was pretty obvious.

Not to mention, the people who are genuinely upset at not having both ports being USB-C is going to be incredibly small in number versus the vast majority of people who don't care.

And the USB-C socket itself, other than being able to be inserted in either direction, brings zero benefit in and of itself.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #1,210 of 10,448
You might ask, why not have both ports as they have with the data port, if they want to keep Poly compatibility? I'm willing to bet there's a reason preventing that, such as safety.
Having a separate data port allows the Mojo to connect to a phone and not drain the phone's battery. That's been one of Chord's design goals, which is also why there is no galvanic isolation on their mobile DACs. Galvanic isolation needs to draw from the source's battery to provide current to the port.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,211 of 10,448
That was my reaction too. Some “reviewers” measure against a “what’s hip” list instead of thinking much about what makes for a great listening experience. I bet the review knocks the Mojo 2 for not supporting MQA. I see that as a plus.
@kennyb123 indeed. Same here - I've stopped investing into some companies gear due to their obligatory support of MQA. I would consider ifi for example but since I have to pay additional fee for their MQA support by default I am not interested any longer, especially since their GTO filter is so similar to MQA filter.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #1,212 of 10,448
Having said that, I think the eq feature in Mojo 2 is going to be a real difference-maker. That has a good chance of leaving much of the competition in the dust. I base that on how much folks here fiddle with different pads to try to get the sound they prefer from their headphones. Mojo 2 owners might not have to mess with such things going forward.

EQ feature has been confirmed? It is via Poly?

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #1,213 of 10,448
I'm a direct wired user of anything portable ... I don't have any intention of buying a Poly ... not being able to use a fundamental and USP piece of functionality without it, would be a show-stopper ...

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #1,214 of 10,448
Any retailer advertising a pre-order pre-embargo is risking getting no stock at all. That would be rather embarrassing, having to refund all their customers.

I agree but they weren’t advertising. I phoned and asked if they are able to reserve one for me on day 1 if I pay a deposit to which they agreed. Will find out on Monday if I am getting my Mojo or refund 🤞🏽

You are spot on about micro USB, too much fuss about something so trivial. I am happy as long as I have a USB C port for data.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #1,215 of 10,448

I'm a direct wired user of anything portable ... I don't have any intention of buying a Poly ... not being able to use a fundamental and USP piece of functionality without it, would be a show-stopper ...

The Chord Mojo 2 also differs from its predecessor by its new features accessible via the menu button. Among these is a function allowing complete adjustment of the equalization. When activated, Chord Mojo 2's EQ allows you to adjust four frequency ranges (20Hz, 125Hz, 3kHz, 20kHz) in plus or minus nine 1dB steps (18 in total) via the knobs +/- used for volume adjustment. Channel balance can also be adjusted by enabling the feature in the Mojo 2 menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back