Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #571 of 10,443
I'm expecting Mojo 2 to feature an "Automatic WTA 2 Boost" feature. When Mojo 2 is fed by M Scaler, the taps that are used for WTA 1 become redundant. Rather than wasting those taps, they can be configured to work as WTA 2 taps..

This will make M Scaler + Mojo 2 sound better than M Scaler + Hugo 2.

Does not need such a feature...

WTA1 works up to PCM768kHz anyway - for all Rob's DACs.

M-Scaler outputs PCM768kHz, hence completely replaces WTA1 (PCM768kHz)...

To put it another way - whenever you feed any of Rob's DACs PCM768kHz, you are by-passing WTA1... whether M-Scaler or software upsampling or PCM768kHz content....

WTA2 is nowhere near as processing intensive as WTA1... doesn't need any boost. And for a mobile product with tiny battery in a small case, power efficiency is key focus.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #572 of 10,443
My only wish is to make mojo a portable device which you can plug to your mobile and use it on the go. The original had, at least in my case, a lot of interference, click, pops etc that made it a mobile nightmare rather mobile joy. If that works, same size, better battery for the same price then it might be a good case. For higher prices they have to offer much, much more in terms of features. Competition is so hard that they might end up producing an irrelevant product.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #573 of 10,443
My only wish is to make mojo a portable device which you can plug to your mobile and use it on the go. The original had, at least in my case, a lot of interference, click, pops etc that made it a mobile nightmare rather mobile joy. If that works, same size, better battery for the same price then it might be a good case. For higher prices they have to offer much, much more in terms of features. Competition is so hard that they might end up producing an irrelevant product.
I'm also keeping an eye on the imminent Earmen Colibri as an alternative. It's an oversized dongle with its own battery, and a 4.4 mm balanced output with up to 500mW @ 32Ω.

Also likely to be half the cost and about quarter the size.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #574 of 10,443
Nov 5, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #576 of 10,443
My guesses....

The M button is for M-Scaler.

But not a built-in M-Scaler like people have thought in this thread.

Those who followed the Mojo thread closely will know Rob says he's always wished he'd included an M-Scaler input with Mojo...

The leaked photo has a 3.5mm SPDIF input on the back - I assume it's just like the M-Scaler input of Hugo2...

M button turns M-Scaler on and off.
I own an M Scaler. I don't use it with my Hugo 2 because I have a TT2. No way I would use it with Mojo.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #577 of 10,443
I own an M Scaler. I don't use it with my Hugo 2 because I have a TT2. No way I would use it with Mojo.
Exactly. I do not understand why Chord would think people would want this, unless they created of a cheaper, mini M-scaler (which we’ve already agreed isn’t coming) or delivered a huge price drop on existing M-scaler (seems highly unlikely).

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #578 of 10,443
Exactly. I do not understand why Chord would think people would want this, unless they created of a cheaper, mini M-scaler (which we’ve already agreed isn’t coming) or delivered a huge price drop on existing M-scaler (seems highly unlikely).
If this happened, and Mojo had a desktop mode, it would replace Qutest entirely, since they already share the same output stage. If Mojo could accept mScaler, you wouldn’t need a Qutest other than for form factor.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #579 of 10,443
If this happened, and Mojo had a desktop mode, it would replace Qutest entirely, since they already share the same output stage. If Mojo could accept mScaler, you wouldn’t need a Qutest other than for form factor.
I thought the SQ of the Qutest was equivalent to the Hugo 2, not Mojo?

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #580 of 10,443
I thought the SQ of the Qutest was equivalent to the Hugo 2, not Mojo?
They haven’t exactly said how many taps Mojo has, but they run with every other coefficient at zero, or “half speed” and Qutest has 49k taps. It’s likely Mojo at full taps. And the output I/V conversion is the same components as Mojo. So if Mojo2 were able to increase/ double the taps, it would be equivalent, and better because you’d get digital volume control and more portability.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #581 of 10,443
What if HMS+Mojo 2 is better than TT2 on its own :sunglasses:

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #582 of 10,443
Qutest has Anni. That's a perfect pairing. Why would Chord mess that up with a cheaper Mojo that wasn't designed to work with Anni? Mojo 2 replacing Qutest is as dumb as pairing Mojo 2 with M Scaler.

Mojo 2 needs to stay true to it's name. Mobile Joy. It needs to be a mobile device. Therefore it competes with DAPs. It can do that in 2 ways. First, it can act as an add on to a DAP to give it more power and a different signature like the Cayin C9. Second, it can improve the Poly so that it is the size and functionality of a Hiby R3 Pro, but has superior sound quality competing with $2000-3000 DAPs like the Hugo 2 does. That's where the Mojo fits in the future. We will see if Chord gets it.

In the timeframe the Mojo 2 is being released, I will probably make a decision between the Mojo 2 or the Hiby RS6. The smartest thing Chord could do is make it so I want to buy both and connect them together.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #583 of 10,443
They haven’t exactly said how many taps Mojo has, but they run with every other coefficient at zero, or “half speed” and Qutest has 49k taps. It’s likely Mojo at full taps. And the output I/V conversion is the same components as Mojo. So if Mojo2 were able to increase/ double the taps, it would be equivalent, and better because you’d get digital volume control and more portability.
Mojo is around 38000 taps.
Rob is mentioning this here:

Around 10:15

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back