Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #136 of 10,407
Interesting. I have found M11 Pro to sound way more engaging, detailed and fun to listen to than Mojo. Sold them both when got an RME ADI-2 DAC that trashed them for sound quality.
I found the mac better than the old mojo in some ways too

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #137 of 10,407
Interesting. I have found M11 Pro to sound way more engaging, detailed and fun to listen to than Mojo. Sold them both when got an RME ADI-2 DAC that trashed them for sound quality.

We are all at different stages in this hobby. I prioritise listening fatigue and healthy listening (low volume). I get great dynamics with the Hugo2 even at low volumes. I'm just hoping the Mojo2 can complement the Hugo2 for on the go use case.

The Chord devices also scale depending on what you feed them. I don't treat Chord portable devices like DAPs. I treat them like if I was running a Chord DAVE or TT2. So I run them from the backend music software (Summit-Fi music servers) side of things not via the frontend (iOS, Android, Chi-Fi SW). Also, the Chord devices didn't resonate when I went USB. Once I switched to optical, everything changed for the better.

I also use clocks on my portable sources as that improves the musicality, ooh soundstage, air, dynamics, refined highs, precise imaging, layered bass, etc. My goal is to obtain military-use clocks (missile guidance systems) for the portable source. Right now I'm just using a HiFi clock that you would typically find in Summit-Fi music servers. Once you pass Summit-Fi clocks, that's State of the Art clocks category. I hope I can get there.

clock.png

BTW, have you ever been to the Mike Ball Great White Shark tour? Or that's just for tourists.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #138 of 10,407
Can't see the point of Mojo as a mobile device if it performs best over coax or optical. Seriously, how how many phones with coax or optical output have you seen out there? You are also suggesting now there should be a DDC device between my Mojo and the phone? When riding public transport? :D
As a desktop proposition, why go Mojo when for less money you can have a better standalone DAC?

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #139 of 10,407
It's either an USB cable or optical cable. Pick your poison. The DAC is not going to source itself. Maybe lucky if the Mojo2 has an embedded eMMC or microSD.

I don't use a phone, I use a battery-powered SBC. It's about 50mm all-around, so it's pocketable. I use a rotary encoder and an IR remote for the controls and a 50mm German OLED display. Nothing Chi-Fi in my system besides the battery, not even the OLED.

Like I said, we are all at different stages in this hobby. And have different preferences. I like pineapple on my pizza. Maybe at another stage, I won't like pineapple on my pizza. For now I like UK refined SQ. Off-the-shelf DACs are like those Fast and Furious cars that pull out besides me a few times a week, blasting loud distorted exaggerated SQ. They think they are all about SQ. Maybe at one stage I was like that too, blasting loud music as if it were SQ. But now I'm at the stage were I prefer refined UK SQ with zero background noise at a low volume.

The Mojo is a complement. I know I'm at the extreme and I don't expect anyone to forego the convenience of a DAP. But that's what DAPs are, convenience, not SQ.

Anyways, the Mojo2 is a distraction this year. I need to focus on my desktop rig. It's a tough grind as there is a lot of manual labor involved and a big rabbit hole. I'm at the extreme here too as I only use battery power. I don't use mains power. Like I said, no fatigue, no noise. Just pure unadulterated UK refined sound. If you prefer off-the-shelf Chi-Fi sound, more power to you. I'll check back here at Mojo2 release. Crossing fingers, but again I'm not ready for a Mojo2 but if it's an option...

batt.jpg

bat2.png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #140 of 10,407
I'm suspecting there is going to be a replacement to the Mojo soon if not only because the official retail price of the Mojo was recently lowered from like $699 US to $499.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #141 of 10,407
I'm suspecting there is going to be a replacement to the Mojo soon if not only because the official retail price of the Mojo was recently lowered from like $699 US to $499.
I guess it was launched at MRP of $599

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #143 of 10,407
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #144 of 10,407
She's a beauty. Thxs for sharing...

EDIT: NVM, ignore until official announcement and photos of official packaging. It just seems like just a plain white box.

Glad I dedicated this year on digital source. Would be getting too hyped for a Mojo2 otherwise... I don't think I could handle the hype.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #145 of 10,407
These are potentially fake and are from:

https://www.olx.pl/d/oferta/wzmacni...hBlyCAovIBxmoPS6FLE_0ozUYrMscG6WGXx_hrcqJ2o1c

But if real, what is the 'M' button? I'm guessing a mini built-in M-Scaler?
Yeah they could be. Though seemingly quite convincing if they are fake (hard to see the finish properly with the plastic in the way though).
I'm not sure what the M would be.
There haven't exactly been a huge number of improvements in FPGA capability in recent years afaik so for the mojo to suddenly include MScaler capability would be....surprising and likely eat into demand for their other products.

We'll have to wait and see I guess!

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #147 of 10,407
Yeah they could be. Though seemingly quite convincing if they are fake (hard to see the finish properly with the plastic in the way though).
I'm not sure what the M would be.
There haven't exactly been a huge number of improvements in FPGA capability in recent years afaik so for the mojo to suddenly include MScaler capability would be....surprising and likely eat into demand for their other products.

We'll have to wait and see I guess!
Is that's a fake, it's a really good one. Hopefully, this is it.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #148 of 10,407
Clicks, adds to cart, and checks out. I’d like to gift my existing Mojo to a family member and the Mojo2 timing is perfect.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #149 of 10,407
I suspect the 'M' button is indeed a mini MScaler button. Hint here from this livestream today where Colin from Chord says there will be some surprising Chord tech. inside new products:

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #150 of 10,407
I suspect the 'M' button is indeed a mini MScaler button. Hint here from this livestream today where Colin from Chord says there will be some surprising Chord tech. inside new products:

I imagine a dave successor is likely in the works.

In regards to mscaler, honestly it wouldn't surprise me. If you look at the actual internals of the mscaler the chassis could likely be about 1/8th the current size.

Its more a question of will it eat into profits/revenue.

There isn't exactly much m-scaler competition other than something like hqplayer. And it certainly seems to sell well so I'm not sure if making it obsolete would be good from a business standpoint.

But maybe they're figuring that it would be a good way to get people to upgrade if they had it integrated into the next version of all the chord dacs (I can't imagine they'd have it in mojo but not bigger stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back