Chord Hugo
Jul 28, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #15,631 of 15,691
Depends how you feed hugo. Through cck it doesn’t matter what’s feeding it, the hugo over writes the signal. USB it can matter what source type you use from a high quality upsampler usb galvanized music server source or some fan base noisy usb source, there will be differences
I use a DAP with optical out that serves me well.

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #15,632 of 15,691
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #15,633 of 15,691
I can weigh in on Mojo 1 vs Hugo 1, and mojo 2 isnt too far from mojo 1, its an incremental upgrade in sound according to just about every reviewer.

I much prefer the sound of the Hugo 1. On my Focal Clear it has this spacious, effortless quality, the Mojo sounds more boxed in, and somehow a bit more crude? I cant explain it. Mojo has more of a sound signature to me where i know im on mojo. Its a bit more obvious and that annoys me.

The difference is large enough I find it very hard to believe the Mojo 2 made up for the lost ground, or even half of it to be honest. Perhaps there is some fundamental limitation when you shrink the device size, im not sure.

Just get a Hugo 1 which has recently had its batteries replaced.
in my opinion the Mojo 2 is a big upgrade from the M1, price considered I much prefer it to Hugo 2 (my previous posts have the details of the improvements).

Nothing incremental in the improvements over the OG and for many users this is all the Chord they'll need, the M2 is amazing IMO.

The only way to find out for yourself of course is to listen to the M2 in a good sounding setup, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #15,634 of 15,691
in my opinion the Mojo 2 is a big upgrade from the M1, price considered I much prefer it to Hugo 2 (my previous posts have the details of the improvements).

Nothing incremental in the improvements over the OG and for many users this is all the Chord they'll need, the M2 is amazing IMO.

The only way to find out for yourself of course is to listen to the M2 in a good sounding setup, YMMV.
Well I’m with the other poster hugo 1 is more musical to my ears, mojo was good value compared.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #15,635 of 15,691
After a leave of absence I have returned to using my Hugo. Today I picked up an Apple CCK, updated it and attached my iPhone to the Hugo. I have recently suscribed to Qobuz and I am now enthralled by the synergy of Qobuz, the Hugo and my modified Fostex headphones. I am currently listening to Susan Tedeschi and she sounds absolutely wonderful.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #15,636 of 15,691
The current Apple iPod, running Tidal or iTunes and carefully placed in the Hugo case elastic straps, with CCK and short cable, sounds Phenomenal to me with nearly any headphone!

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #15,637 of 15,691
I appreciate the kind reply.

In my case, the Hugo battery should not be running low because it was plugged into AC when I noticed the phenomena.

Faulty power adaptor possibility: I have tested with another spare power adaptor. Same results as noted in post #13200.

Puzzling...
Hi level3, my Hugo developed this today after sitting idle for a couple months. Have you found out what's wrong with it?
I've emailed Chord about it and still waiting for a reply.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #15,639 of 15,691
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure what's the problem with it.

There's a white LED labeled "auth" on the left side while the white charging indicator is on the right side.
When I plug in the power and turn it on, the white auth LED flickers fast continuously, after that the charging LED lights up. Then the battery (red) and input (cyan) LEDs would blink.
There's also a sound whenever those LEDs blink, like a solid state relay or some sort.

So we're positive this is a battery issue?

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #15,640 of 15,691
Exactly what happened to mine. Replaced the batteries in 2020 and it works fine since then.

The AC adapter can be checked with a multimeter for voltage.

Ah, I could bet it's just the batteries, but they are trying to rip off customers for a new board, classic. Or they just can't tell the difference. Contact Chord directly. You can open the device and measure the batteries voltage output. If any of the batteries is under 2V, it's dead. Chord sells original replacements. This one works too.

Typical symptoms are that after a night of charging, when you try to power the device on, it flashes the white power led for a while and then it tries to go through the power on sequence, but it can't, and you only see the colored leds blink wildly. Also it can make a strange noise, beeps and squeaks.

It's a very tight fit, needs to be done gently and carefully.

1. Unscrew the four screws that keep the board in place inside the enclosure (screws close to the corners).
2. You can gently push the board to the side of the RCAs, to get 1-2 mm of gap on the button's side.
3. Use something like a toothpick to press the buttons and make them go stuck up behind the enclosure, just a little bit so they wont hang inside the holes.
4. Gently start rising the button's side of the board.

When you put the board back in, RCA side goes first.

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #15,642 of 15,691
WRT stacking, or rubber straps, I never used them - I use little velcro rectangles. 4 on each corner (soft velcro) of my phone case, 4 (hard velcro) on my Hugo 2 case (by placing the phone centered on my Hugo 2). Used to do the same when I had a Hugo. Works perfect.

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #15,643 of 15,691
Hi guys

I know that this has been covered ad nauseum but I am having trouble outputting the audio signal from my Tidal app via my iPhone 14 + to my Hugo 2. I get a message on the phone stating that Apple does not "support this accessory". Does anyone know what could be wrong?

I am using the lightning cable/cameral adaptor out of the phone to my USB connector to the Hugo 2. Strangely enough it was working with my old iPhone 13 then stopped, and has never worked with my new iPhone 14+.

Any ideas? Is there a setting on the iPhone that I need to check?

Thanks in advance.

GLR

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #15,644 of 15,691
Try replacing the usb and cck. Might be a faulty connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back