Chord Hugo
Aug 1, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #15,106 of 15,691
No company in their right mind will have a charging circuit that overcharges a lithium battery (over 4.2V per cel). It's a recipe for disaster.

Regarding keeping the device near full charge (4.10V or above per cel) for an extended period of time it's been documented that this is very stressful for lithium batteries, and can be more detrimental to the overall lifespan than multiple charge cycles. Most of the battery issues that I've read for the Mojo are from people leaving the device plugged in 24/7 for extended periods of time. I'm not talking about detrimental effects of short charge cycles or topping up the battery which has no effect on lithium battery lifespans. It's remaining above 4.10V for extended periods, like constantly flexing your muscles (as Battery University puts it). You're going to wear out if you do that. The three most stressful states for lithium batteries are, too hot, drained fully, and kept at a high voltage for too long.

From Battery University:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.
Besides selecting the best-suited voltage thresholds for a given application, a regular Li-ion should not remain at the high-voltage ceiling of 4.20V/cell for an extended time. The Li-ion charger turns off the charge current and the battery voltage reverts to a more natural level. This is like relaxing the muscles after a strenuous exercise.

For the Hugo2 Rob implemented a smart charging scheme that doesn't top up past 4.05V per cel when left plugged in and there's the new desktop mode as well which bypasses the battery if left plugged in for more than 24 hours. Obviously they recognize the importance of not keeping the battery too 'full' and 'topped up' when used in a desktop environment.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #15,107 of 15,691
I received my Hugo yesterday and after having played with it with my Elears, I can say that my initial demo impressions still hold up! What a beautiful, transparent dac/amp.
Just in case it interests you, some other Chord dac owners also own(ed) Elears, and a couple @Music Alchemist and @JaZZ published equalisation profiles which they used to try and obtain perfectly neutral frequency response.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #15,108 of 15,691
Yes that did help some. I still hope someone on here uses the Hugo at home plugged in and on all the time for some time and has had no issues.

I have used the extender on both Hugos with no issue, I mostly use the USB but anytime I did use the coax input never any problems on my end.
Great! I won't have to limit my cable options then :D

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #15,109 of 15,691
No company in their right mind will have a charging circuit that overcharges a lithium battery (over 4.2V per cel). It's a recipe for disaster.

Regarding keeping the device near full charge (4.10V or above per cel) for an extended period of time it's been documented that this is very stressful for lithium batteries, and can be more detrimental to the overall lifespan than multiple charge cycles. Most of the battery issues that I've read for the Mojo are from people leaving the device plugged in 24/7 for extended periods of time. I'm not talking about detrimental effects of short charge cycles or topping up the battery which has no effect on lithium battery lifespans. It's remaining above 4.10V for extended periods, like constantly flexing your muscles (as Battery University puts it). You're going to wear out if you do that. The three most stressful states for lithium batteries are, too hot, drained fully, and kept at a high voltage for too long.

From Battery University:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

For the Hugo2 Rob implemented a smart charging scheme that doesn't top up past 4.05V per cel when left plugged in and there's the new desktop mode as well which bypasses the battery if left plugged in for more than 24 hours. Obviously they recognize the importance of not keeping the battery too 'full' and 'topped up' when used in a desktop environment.

So I should run off the battery once or twice a week to get a recharge going? or more times?

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #15,110 of 15,691
So I should run off the battery once or twice a week to get a recharge going? or more times?

There is no memory effect with lithium batteries so this really won't do anything to prolong the life of the battery. In my experience you should just use lithium battery powered devices unplugged and charge it when it needs it. Keeping lithium battery powered devices plugged in 24/7 has always resulted in a very shortened battery life for me with various devices and I've stopped doing it after 3 failures with different devices and not understanding why until I researched possible causes.

Of course, you can use the Hugo how ever you want, and I'm sure others will say it's fine, but I'm just trying to share a potential downfall to keeping it plugged in the majority of the time.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #15,111 of 15,691
There is no memory effect with lithium batteries so this really won't do anything to prolong the life of the battery. In my experience you should just use lithium battery powered devices unplugged and charge it when it needs it. Keeping lithium battery powered devices plugged in 24/7 has always resulted in a very shortened battery life for me with various devices and I've stopped doing it after 3 failures with different devices and not understanding why until I researched possible causes.

Of course, you can use the Hugo how ever you want, and I'm sure others will say it's fine, but I'm just trying to share a potential downfall to keeping it plugged in the majority of the time.
But if the Hugo never charges over 4.05V then in theory it shouldn't matter if you keep it plugged in all the time, as it wouldn't overcharge and shorten the life span of the battery?

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #15,112 of 15,691
But if the Hugo never charges over 4.05V then in theory it shouldn't matter if you keep it plugged in all the time, as it wouldn't overcharge and shorten the life span of the battery?

Again, overcharge is the wrong term. Full charge is 4.2V and after that it's dangerous... nobody will allow an overcharge with a decent charging circuitry. It's keeping it at a high state of charge for excessively long periods (apparently 4.10V-4.20V) vs letting it settle to a more relaxed state (as lithium batteries do) after reaching full charge and unplugging. It's explained in the link I provided earlier.

So yes, if the battery is not kept at 4.10V and higher for long periods then apparently it should be fine. Rob changed the charging scheme on the Hugo2 to not top up past 4.05V.

Optimal charging for maximum lifespan is apparently never below 20% and only charging to 80%. This has been shown to provide double the lifespan of lithium batteries vs consistent full drain and full charge, but you get less run time per charge obviously. It's just stressful for the battery, and leaving it plugged in all the time for extended periods (weeks/months on end) is even more stressful.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #15,113 of 15,691
3 years charged all the time. Portable use, no desktop mode all is good

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #15,114 of 15,691
3 years charged all the time. Portable use, no desktop mode all is good

There you have it. :)

Still, just passing on best practices information and obviously not everyone will have the same experience.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #15,115 of 15,691
Next I'm thinking of getting an Auralic Aries mini to use with the Hugo, and taking my laptop out of the mix completely. Anyone use one?

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #15,116 of 15,691
The concept is sound but don't know about the mini, don't forget the linear power supply as well.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #15,117 of 15,691
The concept is sound but don't know about the mini, don't forget the linear power supply as well.

If I do end up with one, I will start with out the upgraded supply just to see. Then add it later, both ways should be an upgrade from my laptop.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #15,118 of 15,691
Yes that did help some. I still hope someone on here uses the Hugo at home plugged in and on all the time for some time and has had no issues.

I have used the extender on both Hugos with no issue, I mostly use the USB but anytime I did use the coax input never any problems on my end.[/QUO
If I do end up with one, I will start with out the upgraded supply just to see. Then add it later, both ways should be an upgrade from my laptop.

I have an Aries Mini. They are a good piece of kit. I would say they if you were using the minis onboard dac then the upgraded power supply is beneficial but as you are outputting to a Hugo I don't think you will notice any difference. Others have different points of view but your try it and see approach is best.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #15,119 of 15,691
I have an Aries Mini. They are a good piece of kit. I would say they if you were using the minis onboard dac then the upgraded power supply is beneficial but as you are outputting to a Hugo I don't think you will notice any difference. Others have different points of view but your try it and see approach is best.

I'm glad you brought this up, if it sounds really good with out the upgraded supply, I may just stick with the stock one. I will have to wait and see what happens. I'm definitely leaning towards adding a Mini. I'm happy with the laptops sound through the Hugo with Jriver. The main difference I'm looking for is a better layout for Tidal and Internet radio. If the SQ of Flac and DSD files improves that will be a much appreciated bonus IMO. :ksc75smile: I have an Ipad so that as a remote is already in use.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #15,120 of 15,691

I forgot to ask, are you using an Aries Mini through a Hugo. If so are you using the USB output in to the Hugo. I'm all ears on anything you can share about the mini. ( I see you have a Dave after I posted this) Do you use the Dave with the Mini, what output are you using.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back