Chord Hugo
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #13,981 of 15,688
I wonder what it is that makes the Purifier improve the digital sound into the Hugo (or more generally, improves USB digital input to any DAC)?

I had pooh-poohed the idea of fussing with fancy cables and doodads for a digital signal... the only thing that could go wrong due to interference would be bit errors, and that would be so devastating that the thing would not even work. 

Apparently that is not the case... there seems to be a more gentle degradation mechanism as well that these devices prevent.  Wonder what it is?

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #13,982 of 15,688
Well, in comparison to my Chord Dave, the Chord Hugo sounds "digital" according to my ears. Probably cleaning up the USB signal improves the Chord Hugo in that department. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #13,983 of 15,688
Well, in comparison to my Chord Dave, the Chord Hugo sounds very "digital" according to my ears. Probably cleaning up the USB signal improves the Chord Hugo in that department. 
But on the go you wont be able to hear anything coming from the Dave.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #13,984 of 15,688
well with the price of dave, it better. Even TT is an improvement, but i enjoy hugo as a portable. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #13,985 of 15,688
But on the go you wont be able to hear anything coming from the Dave.

Ofcourse, it's a desktop DAC. But just saying what possible improvements there could be by cleaning up the USB signal with the Purifier.

I have never tried the Purifier myself though so I can't comment how much improvement that will give. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #13,986 of 15,688
Ofcourse, it's a desktop DAC. But just saying what possible improvements there could be by cleaning up the USB signal with the Purifier.

I have never tried the Purifier myself though so I can't comment how much improvement that will give. 

The Purifer only deals with coaxial and optical inputs not USB. And also can't be used on the move (well without a tweak), as it requires power to use it and they supply the power adaptor which you plug into a wall socket

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #13,987 of 15,688
adding few ferrite cores can do wonders without any additional electronic device .

I have tried those & they certainly added something as far as I was concerned - a certain blackness to the background (but was it just a perceived difference)?

The Purifer made the music sound crisper, louder & more in your face. The difference through my speakers was absolutely clear to me, no doubts.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #13,988 of 15,688
The Purifer only deals with coaxial and optical inputs not USB. And also can't be used on the move (well without a tweak), as it requires power to use it and they supply the power adaptor which you plug into a wall socket

Oh I see. Thought it was a similar product as the iPurifier from iFi. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #13,989 of 15,688
I don't know the Singxer but it may do a similar job.

OK, so the device I have been using is the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier. I have been trying it out and will post a proper review shortly.

I have been using it taking the coaxial output of a dx90 into the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier and then into the Hugo. The Hugo feeds a SET Tube amp into stereo speakers. (Not done any real testing into headphones yet).

And the result has really surprised me. The sound shows a significant improvement and noticeable sharper focus & clarity, yet combined with an overall silky smoothness. And the difference is absolutely there and can be heard.

I compared the TT to the Hugo sometime ago and I have to say that from memory this device shows an improvement of similar proportions, albeit in a different manner.

I guess it shows the real benefits of making the data input into the Hugo to be as "clean & accurate" as possible. Recommended for others.

May we see some pictures showing the connection setup?  Thanks!

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #13,990 of 15,688
Oh I see. Thought it was a similar product as the iPurifier from iFi. 

Well it's made by the same company ! Just a new device in their product range

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #13,991 of 15,688
don't those speakers get heavy tied to your head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back