Chord Hugo
Apr 3, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #13,276 of 15,688
I would definately contact Chord or my vendor first, before I opened it up.
This in one of the first units manufactured subsequent units had a different style of Windows that was far more difficult push in or damage and even the bonding agent was improved this is why we have not had many units fail like your unit. Please send the unit back to chord via your dealer and we will fix it for you promptly with a new tougher window.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #13,277 of 15,688
I too love the Chord sound. I have both and here is my take on them :

Mojo vs Hugo

* Sound - Hugo wins. Not much in it but enough to matter. Clearer, cleaner sound. More euphoric, spine tingling moments.
* Hugo is the better DAC for use in home Hifi systems
* Portability - Mojo wins
* Ease of charging on the move - mojo wins because of USB
* Phone interference - Hugo wins - zero with Hugo. When Phone on edge or GPRS , Mojo transmits this noise. Hugo never
* Ease of use - Mojo. Just connect and away you go. Don't need to select the source. Also remembers last volume.
* Cost - Mojo wins
* Better value for money - Mojo wins
* But best sound go for the Hugo.

I agree with much of this except Not much. I own both and to me the difference is big. Hugo is clear and detailed with incredible soundstage and dynamics whereas the Mojo is warm sounding that masks the lack of detail and more inclosed sounding. I like them both and use the Mojo more due to convenience but not sound is nowhere close. The Hugo stands up to home dacs and the Mojo stands up to mobil dacs and there is a big difference between a home dac and a mobil dac. I use mostly with AK120 so no comment on the phone interface. The price difference is in line with the sound quality imo.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #13,278 of 15,688

Mojo vs Hugo

* Sound - Hugo wins. Not much in it but enough to matter. Clearer, cleaner sound. More euphoric, spine tingling moments.

* Phone interference - Hugo wins - zero with Hugo. When Phone on edge or GPRS , Mojo transmits this noise. Hugo never

* Ease of use - Mojo. Just connect and away you go. Don't need to select the source. Also remembers last volume.

* Cost - Mojo wins

I agree with much of this except Not much. I own both and to me the difference is big. Hugo is clear and detailed with incredible soundstage and dynamics whereas the Mojo is warm sounding that masks the lack of detail and more inclosed sounding. I like them both and use the Mojo more due to convenience but not sound is nowhere close. The Hugo stands up to home dacs and the Mojo stands up to mobil dacs and there is a big difference between a home dac and a mobil dac. I use mostly with AK120 so no comment on the phone interface. The price difference is in line with the sound quality imo.

Thanks for that honest write up. Chord has distinct price target offerings up the chain now. Mojo < Hugo< TT< Dave. Each step a better sound experience, each step more of a financial comitment.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #13,279 of 15,688
I just have a few more questions before I switch to Hugo,

With my mojo I get about 8 hours of battery life, sometimes 9.  I can charge and listen at the same time and the unit will not switch off.

With Hugo, will I get 8 hours? Can I charge and listen at the same time(I'll be listening via micro-b usb to my Samsung S7 edge phone-essentially micro-b to micro-b)?

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #13,280 of 15,688

With my mojo I get about 8 hours of battery life, sometimes 9.  I can charge and listen at the same time and the unit will not switch off.

With Hugo, will I get 8 hours? Can I charge and listen at the same time(I'll be listening via micro-b usb to my Samsung S7 edge phone-essentially micro-b to micro-b)?

Yes, yes, but ymmv

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #13,281 of 15,688

Keep in mind that the Hugo does not take a USB charge, it charges strictly from a power cord and wall outlet.  You can leave it plugged in at all times if you want or use it as desk top.  Also, mine has never gotten hot or even warm during operation or charging, or playing while charging.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #13,282 of 15,688

Mojo vs Hugo

* Cost - Mojo wins

I found the Hugo offers better timbre to the instruments, whereas Mojo obscures it enough that I've had to do a doubletake to check what I'm hearing in the background.  Mojo slightly veiled.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #13,283 of 15,688
To me,Hugo SQ depends on the transpot unit,optical vs usb vs coaxial. So far the best one is the optical with AK120II and above. But, there is still a room for an improvement for details and transparency.
For example, my combo AUNE M2S/ALO 3B+ or Duet has better details and transparency against AK120II and Hugo. But the latter wins for its body and weight of the sound.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #13,284 of 15,688
To me,Hugo SQ depends on the transpot unit,optical vs usb vs coaxial. So far the best one is the optical with AK120II and above.

I can imagine that optical vs usb vs coaxial can make a difference (I also slightly prefer P1 optical over DX90/X5 coaxial, never used usb) in sq. But I always thought that the transport unit (dap) itself didn't matter in this case, because the technical elements in both dac and amp from that unit are completely surpassed.
Was I wrong (thinking that) all this time?

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #13,285 of 15,688
To me,Hugo SQ depends on the transpot unit,optical vs usb vs coaxial. So far the best one is the optical with AK120II and above.

I can imagine that optical vs usb vs coaxial can make a difference (I also slightly prefer P1 optical over DX90/X5 coaxial, never used usb) in sq. But I always thought that the transport unit (dap) itself didn't matter in this case, because the technical elements in both dac and amp from that unit are completely surpassed.
Was I wrong (thinking that) all this time?

No you are not wrong. However different connections present different bit rates, frequency, and data transfer qualities that can lead to small differences and preferences. As I understand.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #13,286 of 15,688
No you are not wrong. However different connections present different bit rates, frequency, and data transfer qualities that can lead to small differences and preferences. As I understand.

I still don't understand, if that's the case, why I can alter the sound from the Hugo using the DAPs equalizer.  How does that work?  Thanks!

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #13,287 of 15,688

I still don't understand, if that's the case, why I can alter the sound from the Hugo using the DAPs equalizer.  How does that work?  Thanks!

Don't ask me how it works except the daps dac is bypassed and not the source eq?

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #13,288 of 15,688
I suppose the digital signal itself is transferred 100% correctly, and jitter is said not to matter with Hugo (IIRC). So what's left is electrical noise transferred from the drive to Hugo's output stage. In my experience the X5 II sounds clearer and cleaner than the X5 through Hugo.

The equalizer of course alters the digital signal (since it works in the digital domain), as is its purpose.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #13,289 of 15,688

Don't ask me how it works except the daps dac is bypassed and not the source eq?

That's correct.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #13,290 of 15,688

HUGO hisses with all of the Multi-BA iems (64 Ears V3, SE 846, K10, U12), I have used. It does not bother, when music starts playing, but it's definitely there.
That's another important aspect to consider, before you make the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back