Chord Hugo
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #12,376 of 15,691
The very first revision of Hugo did work after taping off VBUS but it's a different story for newer ones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/2955#post_10549836

We all trust Rob Watts, of course.  Here is Rob's exact wording:
"It still does not draw power from the USB, merely senses that the VBUS 5v is attached. If it sees that, then the FPGA turns on the HD USB chip PSU, then the USB starts working.

The benefit is if the HD USB is not connected, then the battery life is increased as the power draw from the USB chip is significant.

The 5v sense is isolated via a 9K1 resistor, so RF noise on the USB VBUS 5v is not coupled into Hugo and we have tested that RF noise doesn't change the SQ.

No you can't trick it - once VBUS power is gone, it will shut down the USB chip immediately!"

So I continue to remain dumbfounded at you guys' reports of using powerless USB (and your reports aren't the only ones; a couple folks on CA are saying the same thing)......yet...I asked Rob the question because I have a USB card (JCAT) that can truly turn off the complete power (top port of dual port card is configured powerless)..and the Hugo does not see it until I turn the power on (i.e use the bottom powered port I configured).  ??  Qute EX and HD work fine off top powerless port, as do other DACs not requiring 5V.  Weird.  Maybe your cables (cut or taped over) still send something enough for the resistor to switch it on...maybe ground is all it needs?  My card sends nothing, zip.  And it's blackness in that mode is why I want to use the top port. 

Hugo sounds exquisite anyway.  :)

Maybe "cross-contamination" could make a difference even if bus power weren't required?

What else could we do as soon as the warranty of Hugo is over?

Actually here's an even better way to surpass to SQ of Hugo TT with two dozens of PowerStor PHB-5R0V505-R (instead of only two supercapacitors inside Hugo TT) plus 16 pieces of Rubycon 16ZLH4700MEFC16X25, just remember to protection circuits:

0gMmRfF.jpg

kif36UW.jpg

10 bucks or so for each supercapacitor, and then just a few dollars for a piece of Rubycon so it's like just adding another $50 for sweet sixteen. LOL

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #12,377 of 15,691
That is correct, there was a limited number of Hugos that didn't need the 5V lead power to power on the HD micro port, which I have.  But, that being said, the Hugo regardless does not use the 5V power other than detection for turning on the HD micro port.  Thus if you have a Regen you get a clean 5V regenerated and you can still tape off the 5V from the computer to the Regen.   I for one think that if you don't need something, don't risk any cross contamination.
The Regen also does much more than just regenerate a clean 5V power lead.  There is a lot of RF noise in the data packets that greatly effect the Hugo SQ.  The Regen helps remove some of that noise.   But computer optimization is still important along with quality cables.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #12,378 of 15,691
That's cool, are you planning to try different power cords / power supplies for Elfidelity as well?

This one was suggested by pigfatcat

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=19833643401
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/2445#post_11903580

I'm powering the elfidelity usb booster with HDPlex linear power supply.
Yes, now I remember that it was pigfatcat who posted about elfidelity and I agree that it is better than Gustard U12 (I have both Gustard U12 as well as melodious audio mx u8).

The elfidelity looks harmless for chord hugo since it doesn't do reclocking or regenerating signal. It's main purpose is to provide clean 5v power that my Hugo needs for handshake.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #12,379 of 15,691
Awesome and thanks a lot.

Since that's indeed power sensitive, I'll learn from Hugo TT and go nuts with the 5V input of Elfidelity like this then

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=180&t=3814233&p=131#56454398

XA68mfJ.jpg

Those supercapacitors from Chinese sellers only cost 28 RMB a piece so I'm paying roughly 100 bucks for two dozens of them.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #12,380 of 15,691
audio quest cinnamon micro for hugo for me. This is modified for hugo and not in aq line directly tho. sounds fine but im a bit dubious in quantifying usb cables. Feel more adamant about quality HP cable upgrade than usb, although i do it anyways, IMO

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #12,381 of 15,691
  I've probably read more than half of this thread and I can recall anyone mentioning if they have found an aftermarket USB to Micro USB cable that provided better performance to the standard cable included in the box.

I have managed to get bit perfect output using Foobar2000 and my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10).

I've connected my Oppo 103 to  the Hugo and I seem to be getting dropouts, I think the Oppo can't maintain the high bit rate flow.

I more than welcome additional feedback to help me get the most out of my Hugo

If this is at the same level as the JCAT, then it would be a great option: http://ppaproduct.blogspot.pt/2013/07/usb-cable.html

This one got a DAR Knock Out Award: http://www.curiouscables.com/buy.html

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #12,382 of 15,691
I am considering buying a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s to partner the Hugo having tried them for a couple of weeks doing the TT tour.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 600s and really enjoyed the extra transparency & imagery of the T90s.

Has anyone else got views on how the T90s pair with the Hugo over the longer term ? Other choices welcomed.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #12,383 of 15,691
I am considering buying a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s to partner the Hugo having tried them for a couple of weeks doing the TT tour.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 600s and really enjoyed the extra transparency & imagery of the T90s.

Has anyone else got views on how the T90s pair with the Hugo over the longer term ? Other choices welcomed.

Enjoyed them on the TT tour, but have the similar priced Grado 325e's that I would give the edge to paired with Hugo. They have many qualities of the tour's other headphone :).

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #12,384 of 15,691
Enjoyed them on the TT tour, but have the similar priced Grado 325e's that I would give the edge to paired with Hugo. They have many qualities of the tour's other headphone :).

Helpful & thanks. The difficulty I might have with the Grado's is that I didn't like the fitting design around the ears of the 1000s and the 325's look the same to me ??

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #12,385 of 15,691
Is there anyone who can compare the Hugo to the Resonessence Concero HD dac? I would love to know how they are different, soundwise.
I was thinking about buying a Concero HD with the Lake People G109 as an amp. Now, I'm also considering the Hugo. But which one to go for?

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #12,386 of 15,691

Helpful & thanks. The difficulty I might have with the Grado's is that I didn't like the fitting design around the ears of the 1000s and the 325's look the same to me ??

Not the same size; unless the 325Es grew bigger than my 'I's. The 1000Es engulf your ears while the 325s (more or less) sit on them. I have both and love them. Actually, passed my 325s to my younger son. HTH 

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #12,387 of 15,691

Not the same size; unless the 325Es grew bigger than my 'I's. The 1000Es engulf your ears while the 325s (more or less) sit on them. I have both and love them. Actually, passed my 325s to my younger son. HTH 

Yes, 325s much smaller. Seemed same type of upfront sound paired with Hugo and TT, the GS1000e's having an enhanced soundstage. Would that be your view?

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #12,388 of 15,691

Yes, 325s much smaller. Seemed same type of upfront sound paired with Hugo and TT, the GS1000e's having an enhanced soundstage. Would that be your view?

Definitely.  The Hugo drove the 325s highs more clearly and less fatiguing than my older sources, such as my IPod160G and UHA-6II(209).  The 100e is a bigger deeper soundstage.  They're a great contrast with the Xs.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #12,389 of 15,691
  Is there anyone who can compare the Hugo to the Resonessence Concero HD dac? I would love to know how they are different, soundwise.
I was thinking about buying a Concero HD with the Lake People G109 as an amp. Now, I'm also considering the Hugo. But which one to go for?

I used to own the Concero HP (did a full review on Headphone.Guru in case you're interested) and really enjoyed my year with it. But the Hugo is clearly a cut above in pretty much every way to my ears (including portability and amplification).

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #12,390 of 15,691
Wanted to throw some quick props out to Konstantin from Lavri Cables for building me a beautiful IPhone to Hugo (usb) cable... No more camera connection kit. The cable is tiny in comparison, and well-made... I can post pics if anyone is interested...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back