Chord Hugo
Nov 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #8,911 of 15,691
  I am getting buzzing and ticking sounds out of my Hugo.   It happens in the right earphone intermittently, it will buzz for around 2 seconds then 5-6 short tics, sometimes it will just be a longer buzz.  It happens while the music is playing as well as when it is paused, it even happens with the USB unplugged.  

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Dave,

1. Does it happen when the power supply is both unplugged and plugged in?
2. At what level is the battery charge, happens at full?
3. Does it occur when cycling through all of the various input options? Not just USB?
4. Is crossfeed turned on, and at what level?
5. Does the buzzing change dynamically with the volume level, or stay the same no matter the level? Still at zero volume?
6. Can you verify that the buzzing occurs with nothing connected to Hugo whatsoever except your earphones? What earphones are they and what is the impedance rating? Have you verified that the earphone does not make the sound out of any other equipment?
7. Does it occur out of all the different outputs? Both of the 1/8th, the 1/4, and the RCA?
8. This one may sound weird, but does it go away when you shut the unit off?

That should help narrow it down : )

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #8,912 of 15,691
Hi, 

I just got a Hugo a few days ago and I don't know why you all love it so much. Yeah it sounds great, but no one talks about the dark side. I don't sleep, eat, or talk to my family anymore! Just kidding (well mostly), another huge Hugo fan!

I had a question about portable use with an iPhone. I'm going  Neuton App > CCK > Moon Audio USB micro cable > Hugo. The things is I was pretty satisfied until one day the red/44.1k samplerate light turned orange/48k and then later changed back.To me ears the 48k definitely sounded better. The maddening thing is that I don't why it changed to 48k or why it changed back to 44.1. I've tried everything to get it to upsample again, including the sample control on Neutron, but the option is no longer there. 

Is there anyone who understands this issue? Thanks!

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #8,913 of 15,691
  Hi, 

I just got a Hugo a few days ago and I don't know why you all love it so much. Yeah it sounds great, but no one talks about the dark side. I don't sleep, eat, or talk to my family anymore! Just kidding (well mostly), another huge Hugo fan!

I had a question about portable use with an iPhone. I'm going  Neuton App > CCK > Moon Audio USB micro cable > Hugo. The things is I was pretty satisfied until one day the red/44.1k samplerate light turned orange/48k and then later changed back.To me ears the 48k definitely sounded better. The maddening thing is that I don't why it changed to 48k or why it changed back to 44.1. I've tried everything to get it to upsample again, including the sample control on Neutron, but the option is no longer there. 

Is there anyone who understands this issue? Thanks!

I'm no expert, but check the app settings to see if it upsample.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #8,914 of 15,691
Sadly its time to put the Hugo up for sale. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #8,915 of 15,691
Sadly its time to put the Hugo up for sale. 
You could sell it to Choconutty. Lol. Too bad it's not a black one. Did you enjoy your time with the Hugo? I imagine the difference between the Hugo and the Light Harmonic DaVinci is akin to listening to a one speaker AM radio at the beach, the Hugo, and then hearing the same music in a SOTA recording studio, the LH DaVinci.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #8,916 of 15,691
Lol, kind of, had a listen to it today with the LCD-X's, bit hard to go back, but hey excellent portable solution. 

Choconutty takes what she wants mate, decided she wants valves and has hi-jacked the QBD, no doubt the 300B's have been my downfall.

Shouldn't have sold the Studio Six.

The DaVinci received a bit of love this week from Larry Ho himself who kindly sent me a firmware file to try out, didn't mention anything of course but whoa sounded awesome. Turned out he had been messing with a few things and wanted to see if I noticed.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #8,917 of 15,691
The key with females is to make them think that they're taking whatever they want. Was that just a tad sexist or has she trained me to think that I'm in control of some, or any, aspect of my life? Mmmm, I do respond on cue to hand and verbal signals. Alas, I have been domesticated. Larry Ho sounds like a really cool guy and one heck of a audio gear designer.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #8,918 of 15,691
Agreed, to that end I have a cunning plan underway 
very_evil_smiley.gif

LH is cool, I was very surprised as I had emailed about some sample rate syncing issues and a week later a custom firmware file appeared in my inbox. I had to prod a bit before he let on that he had changed things, himself. To me the improvement was jaw dropping, like having a veil lifted and I was very happy before. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8,919 of 15,691

Can you please help me out on this one?
I have a Chord Hugo, which i enjoy very much as dac/amp and pre amp for my desktop speakers all at the same time.
Having also an Oppo PM-1, I feel that there is more potential with this can, I am not able to reveal so far. So to say satisfied, but not extremly happy, somehow I feel I can do better, much better.
I am using a Pc with Jriver MC 19 as transport linked to the hugo with a spdif cable.
Is there a better way to improve the oppo with an external amp and use the Hugo as a dac only or ist there a better headphone match to the Hugo itself? i am listening  to a lot of Classic rock from some 30-40 years ago, ripped in wav on my SS hard drive.
I missing basically better instrument seperation, Transperancy and a tangible soundstage..
Wish to solve this issue but do not know where to start..

Thank you for your tips.
Ron

If you can stand all recording faults revealed and a brighter presentation, the Sennheiser HD800 will give you better instrument separation, transparency and soundstage.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #8,920 of 15,691
  I am getting buzzing and ticking sounds out of my Hugo.   It happens in the right earphone intermittently, it will buzz for around 2 seconds then 5-6 short tics, sometimes it will just be a longer buzz.  It happens while the music is playing as well as when it is paused, it even happens with the USB unplugged.  

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

I've heard the ticks too but never through my headphones. For me, it happens when there is no music playing, usually when my 240 is turned off but connected to the Hugo.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #8,923 of 15,691

Dave,

1. Does it happen when the power supply is both unplugged and plugged in?
2. At what level is the battery charge, happens at full?
3. Does it occur when cycling through all of the various input options? Not just USB?
4. Is crossfeed turned on, and at what level?
5. Does the buzzing change dynamically with the volume level, or stay the same no matter the level? Still at zero volume?
6. Can you verify that the buzzing occurs with nothing connected to Hugo whatsoever except your earphones? What earphones are they and what is the impedance rating? Have you verified that the earphone does not make the sound out of any other equipment?
7. Does it occur out of all the different outputs? Both of the 1/8th, the 1/4, and the RCA?
8. This one may sound weird, but does it go away when you shut the unit off?

That should help narrow it down : )

Hi SoundFreaq,

It just made the buzzing sound on battery power as well, it seems to be only through the right ear though.

1.  I had the Hugo plugged in the past couple of evenings when listening to it, so I would assume the charge was full.  I've only had it for a week now so I am going to try it on battery power to see if it still happens.  It is quite sporadic though, but when it does make the clicking and buzzing sounds it seems to do it in spurts, then it doesn't happen again for a while.

3.  I've only tried USB.  When it was happening I unplugged the USB from my Macbook to see if it was computer related, and it continued to happen.

4.  I have not tried crossfeed...  It is turned off.

5.  I'm not sure if it changes with volume as I have not tried to change the volume when it is happening, but when music is playing I can hear it during a quite passage, but it is tough to hear during louder passages.

6.  I only had the USB connected to the Hugo the last time it happened, and my Dita Answers.  I'm pretty sure I have heard it while using my Sony MDR-7520's as well.  Neither have made this sound out of other equipment.

7.  I believe it has happened out of both 1/8th jacks, but I haven't tried the 1/4 or RCA yet.

8.  Yes, it goes away when the unit is off.

What makes it even tougher to figure out is that it only happened for around 20-30 seconds total in about 3 hours of listening yesterday.  It is usually around 2-3 seconds at a time.
I am trying the Hugo on battery power only tonight to see if that makes a difference, as I don't recall hearing this the first few nights with the Hugo and I was only using battery power at the time.

Thanks,
Dave.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #8,924 of 15,691

I've heard the ticks too but never through my headphones. For me, it happens when there is no music playing, usually when my 240 is turned off but connected to the Hugo.

The ticks wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't come through my headphones, thankfully it is very infrequent.  Mine happened even when the Hugo was not even connected to my computer, but I did still have the USB cable attached to the Hugo.  I unplugged it from my Macbook to see if it could have just been an issue with my Macbook.  Does your Hugo make clicking on battery power or just while the charger is plugged in?  

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #8,925 of 15,691

The ticks wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't come through my headphones, thankfully it is very infrequent.  Mine happened even when the Hugo was not even connected to my computer, but I did still have the USB cable attached to the Hugo.  I unplugged it from my Macbook to see if it could have just been an issue with my Macbook.  Does your Hugo make clicking on battery power or just while the charger is plugged in?  

Since this has only happened to me a few times, my recollection is with the power cable connected. Perhaps Rob from Chord can chime in on why this clicking sounds occurs ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back