Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5,447 of 15,691
A few pages back, there was a photo posted with Hugo and what I think was a Shure 846. I would be interesting hearing experiences with this as well as other ToTL Custom or Universal IEM's. 

I have the Hugo and use with my HD800 and Sennheiser Amperior (similar to the Aluminum HD25). The Amperior is my travel headphone and I like the overall tone and presentation. However, it would be nice to travel with a headphone that scales to Hugo capabilities. 

Suggestions? Also would be nice to know if there is an established minimum impedance with Hugo. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,448 of 15,691
Has anyone here tried this ? http://www.aumacoustics.com/hugo_modifications.html
And I am in no way saying the hugo is thin. I a very happy with it. I am purely asking if anyone has tried this as all products are made to a price pint . Including the device in the attachment . So let's not make this into a bashing the Hugo as it is a fine product as is for all of us .

Al

I would just like to know if it is true that they made a power supply change.

Rob,

Can you confirm this?

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #5,449 of 15,691
  A few pages back, there was a photo posted with Hugo and what I think was a Shure 846. I would be interesting hearing experiences with this as well as other ToTL Custom or Universal IEM's. 

I have the Hugo and use with my HD800 and Sennheiser Amperior (similar to the Aluminum HD25). The Amperior is my travel headphone and I like the overall tone and presentation. However, it would be nice to travel with a headphone that scales to Hugo capabilities. 

Suggestions? Also would be nice to know if there is an established minimum impedance with Hugo. 

I would also love to hear any ToTL IEM suggestions for the Hugo based on actual experience.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #5,451 of 15,691
I would also love to hear any ToTL IEM suggestions for the Hugo based on actual experience.

If universal iem, Tralucent Ref 1 is end game grade stuff. In fact these are the only iem i like to listen to nowadays....
For customs, there are more choices

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #5,452 of 15,691

UERM is great with Hugo.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #5,453 of 15,691
  I've heard the Hugo with UERM and K10, both are excellent (and you should be able to audition both as well as others at the upcoming SF meet).

There are universal fits for the demos?

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,454 of 15,691
If universal iem, Tralucent Ref 1 is end game grade stuff. In fact these are the only iem i like to listen to nowadays....
For customs, there are more choices

Just looked on website.  Can't find the Ref1.  Is it the same as the 1plus2?  Btw, no prices on website.  Any idea on cost?

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #5,455 of 15,691
  I've heard the Hugo with UERM and K10, both are excellent (and you should be able to audition both as well as others at the upcoming SF meet).

A little off topic, but still planning on coming to SF meet.  Thanks in advance for organizing.  More equipment than ever to bring!

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,456 of 15,691
This is interesting as I have the Shure SE846, considered a ToTL IEM but I'm finding using them with just an iPhone or iPod doesn't do it justice. A portable DAC/amp is difficult to pair with actually, due to the low impedance these IEM's run at. The advertised impedance is 9 ohms, but in certain frequencies it may go as low as 4 ohms. There are very few DAC/amp combos that has low enough output impedance to give it a good damping factor. I am seriously considering the Hugo if anyone has first hand experience that will provide some input. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #5,457 of 15,691
bump.

question.
my motherboard(z77 sabertooth) has a toslink optical output, i've disabled this option in replace for USB dac's in the past, as we all know onboard sound is utter rubbish.
i've recently enabled onboard audio again so that i can use the toslink option, all this talk of optical being better, i thought i'd give it a try.

now i'm not sure, is the signal passed directly to the hugo, or does it run though onboard sound first > hugo?

also does the hugo not remember which source input was chosen when you turn it off?

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #5,458 of 15,691
Hey clenmaster, when you reported hugo sounding thinner and brighter than the QuteHD, did you use a preamplifier in the mix?

From what I gather, and I could be wrong, single ended connection usually requires a balancer (like a seperate preamplifier) to make the sound fuller, set staging etc. (Balance everything out)

Again I am not sure but the Hugo I think does not carry much preamp function other than a volume knob.

If the Hugo had balanced out with just a volume control, connected straight to the amp, I dont think the sound would be thin as reported by some users.

Ted B really liked the sound in his 2 channel listening. But ofcourse he had a preamp (balancer) in the mix.

But as all know, Hugo only offers single ended inputs/outputs. I think it might be crucial an integrated amp or a preamp be in the mix...

But that would just defeat the whole purpose..

Anyway,now that I kinda figured out why some users were reporting it to be thin while others not, and since I am getting a seperate preamp,and all those DAC first/preamp in a package with volume knob would NOT really be okay (like they advertise) since my Amp only accepts SE.. it would be a very good buy for me actually.
(Ofcourse it would be diff if your amp accepted balance inputs.)

Also since it has wifi capabity to stream from android/iphone..

Ppl forget that there are brands out there that just sels for this functionality alone like sonos and charge 400.00 for it. Oh.. and you need the bridge to go with it which is abother 60.00

All in all, I think it might just work out in my situation.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #5,459 of 15,691
  - Sabre sound? Cirrus Logic you mean?
- I tot the AK240 does do DSD..please explain.

So in conclusion to this, your saying. If I get the Hugo (its far superior in SQ than teh AK240 from what I gather), there is no point in getting the AK240? 

To me Sabre and Cirrus sound quite different. Contrary to reports here, Sabre does -not- sound thin if it's implemented properly. Sabres are notorious to be difficult to design around and if not done well I can see why readers would say they sound "thin" but then they're focused on the DAC rather than the implementation around it.

The AK240 does play DSD natively but optical out is not (there are others who say it does but it's never worked for me - before SeeTeeYou interjects with his DSD encapsulated PCM, I'm referring to DoP streaming). Therefore it can't feed DSD to the Hugo.

The cirrus logic chipped dacs I have heard were very enjoyable to me. Mostly Marantz. Dont know why it didnt suite your taste AL. It just goes to tell you its not about the chip, but how well its implemented as well.

I had the Marantz DV9300 & DV9500 and I have to admit I never did enjoy the CS4398 implementation there - too mellow for my tastes. I for one (mis)faulted the DAC too until I heard the AK240's implementation of the CS4398 and started to appreciate the DAC more - not to mention further proof that implementation around the DAC is as crucial as the DAC itself.

Just looked on website.  Can't find the Ref1.  Is it the same as the 1plus2?  Btw, no prices on website.  Any idea on cost?

Look here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back