Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #5,432 of 15,692
One last thought the Hugo does sound very good right out of my iPhone 5 and camera adaptor . So good it really does not improve very much from a CPU . If you buy it enjoy it and be proud of it.

Thanks, Al.... Much appreciate your help to test this further. cos both OR5 and AP1/PP cost a fair bit...

I am in fact growing to love the ipod touch cck (onkyo HF) to Hugo better than using coaxial from other DAPs

For usb, I may add a usb isolator and use redbook formats when i am on computer

I then need to find a DAP with toslink output

Hugo is really fun, sharing our findings on head-fi is equally fun too

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #5,435 of 15,692
The ak240 went back last week. The is no doubt that it s the coolest gadget to,play mobile music. And wth al, the features it has coupled to a GUI that rivals apple devices it's hard to not want it. But given the sound is just that sabre Sound I dislike and the using it as a transport is just a waiste as it does not do dsd. If there was a way for me to keep,it I would of. It just made no sense to me. I use an iPhone and it's fine. Now if they come out with a iPod with 128 gig that would be cool and I would buy it.
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #5,436 of 15,692
The ak240 went back last week. The is no doubt that it s the coolest gadget to,play mobile music. And wth al, the features it has coupled to a GUI that rivals apple devices it's hard to not want it. But given the sound is just that sabre Sound I dislike and the using it as a transport is just a waiste as it does not do dsd. If there was a way for me to keep,it I would of. It just made no sense to me. I use an iPhone and it's fine. Now if they come out with a iPod with 128 gig that would be cool and I would buy it.
Al

The AK240 is a cirrus chip. :xf_eek:

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #5,437 of 15,692
Al

- Sabre sound? Cirrus Logic you mean?
- I tot the AK240 does do DSD..please explain.

So in conclusion to this, your saying. If I get the Hugo (its far superior in SQ than teh AK240 from what I gather), there is no point in getting the AK240? 

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #5,440 of 15,692
- Sabre sound? Cirrus Logic you mean?
- I tot the AK240 does do DSD..please explain.

So in conclusion to this, your saying. If I get the Hugo (its far superior in SQ than teh AK240 from what I gather), there is no point in getting the AK240? 

I'd say the Hugo would suit your needs, with just about any mid-upper level DAP. If I would have gotten the Hugo first, I would not have gotten the AK-240. Maybe a Sony or HM instead.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #5,441 of 15,692
Weird. My Hugo would not play for a while. Every time I plugged my headphones, the light that was green, which indicates a 90% charge, started flashing red, indicating a need to recharge, even though the Hugo is plugged in and as mentioned, was showing a 90%. This was with any phones. I would get a fraction of a second of sound and then a click and the flashing red. After 5 minutes or a little more, it fatally started playing. I hope it isn't staring to go out. Strange behavior. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #5,442 of 15,692
Al

I could understand what you mean by Sabre sound although it has the Cirrus chip.  I notice similar characteristics.  What makes the Hugo different from the so called "Sabre sound?"  I thought you were fond of the Hibino with your customs, which as a Sabre in it?  Although it's a different Sabre than the mobile version, which I don't like, and can understand the "Sabre sound," when reference to that.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #5,443 of 15,692
The cirrus logic chipped dacs I have heard were very enjoyable to me. Mostly Marantz. Dont know why it didnt suite your taste AL. It just goes to tell you its not about the chip, but how well its implemented as well.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5,445 of 15,692

Users who are viewing this thread

Back