Chord Hugo
Mar 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,277 of 15,691
Thanks for the nice, measured impressions!

Quote:
The comparison between the Lavry and Hugo was fairly close. There were times the switch would be thrown and I had no idea which DAC we were coming/going to.

Well, with all the buzz currently sweeping the internet over Chords FPGA DAC lower end models, I'm surprised the SQ of the two dacs is so close.  Yeah, I know the Lavry is very well-regarded, but still...I would have expected the Hugo to comprehensively beat it.

All in all, the Hugo impressed me. While different than the Lavry, I would say it was an equal which is impressive given how portable it is

Impressive, yes, considering how portable it is.  But the Hugo probably has around equal SQ to the desktop Qute EX, if not beat it with its upgraded spec and 'off-grid' operation.  So, extrapolating from that, the DA11 (2009) is roughly equal to, or better than, the desktop Qute Ex (late 2013) with suppaduppa FPGA technology. Hmm...

Incidentally, I've yet to hear the Hugo, EX or indeed the DA11.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,278 of 15,691
Quote:

Well, with all the buzz currently sweeping the internet over Chords FPGA DAC lower end models, I'm surprised the SQ of the two dacs is so close.  Yeah, I know the Lavry is very well-regarded, but still...

Glad you found my notes useful. I was hoping the Hugo lived up to the hype because it had the potential to simplify my life. It is certainly amazing for a battery powered device.  For my ears (I don't claim to be a golden ear, I just know what I like) my preference varied by track with me being split maybe 55% Hugo, 45% Lavry.  Some golden eared folks might see it different that I, but I won't want to bet which they would prefer.

--mark

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,279 of 15,691
SQ from coax input is very good. However, Hugo only support native DSD decoding from HD USB input, so this is the only option if you have a lot of SACD rips. This being said, I really wish Chord can put a USB-B connector instead of the micro USB. The micro usb connector is too fragile and I lost the USB handshake quite a few times when I touch on the USB cable or move the Hugo around. Wonder if anybody have the same experience?
I did have the similar experience before, go to buy a better micro usb cable with tight head. I changed to a better cable head and now did not encounter the same problem again. Just would unplug my whiplash 3.5mm ear phone cable a bit easy.

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,280 of 15,691
I got mine today. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,281 of 15,691
I did have the similar experience before, go to buy a better micro usb cable with tight head. I changed to a better cable head and now did not encounter the same problem again. Just would unplug my whiplash 3.5mm ear phone cable a bit easy.

Yep, took me awhile to source better cables and micro usb connectors

Didn't have any handshake problems with these connectors. Also mod a Wireworld Starlight USB for my portable rig, SQ much better than before. Just got a Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable coming in this afternoon, will see how it'll work out :)

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #1,282 of 15,691
Stone audio rang chord Thursday and they will receive the hugo on Monday so should get it Tuesday now,6 weeks wait!

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,283 of 15,691
Great news and it looks like the old ones are already starting to be discounted by some retailers, or at least sold at their  original prices. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #1,285 of 15,691
I will probably only use my hugo for portable but you know how things change so with the new chassis I've got the option without being limited to what cables I can use.Just wish I could get a high quality UK cable rather than use the iPhone lightning cable which doesn't seem very good quality, definitely the weak point in the chain

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,287 of 15,691
SQ from coax input is very good. However, Hugo only support native DSD decoding from HD USB input, so this is the only option if you have a lot of SACD rips. This being said, I really wish Chord can put a USB-B connector instead of the micro USB. The micro usb connector is too fragile and I lost the USB handshake quite a few times when I touch on the USB cable or move the Hugo around. Wonder if anybody have the same experience?

pusumyra.jpg

Similar issue here. When I unplugged the moon audio usb cable yesterday the usb connector came off the circuit board. Kapoot. No more hd usb input capability. When i looked at actual connector it is not connected by much to the hugo board. Two sharp metal protrusions into two small holes on the board. Chord should improve the micro USB seating. Or better yet do away with 2 micro inputs and replace with one hd regular size usb input.

My dealer was super responsive. Waiting to hear from NA Distributor on monday to see how they will get this fixed. Will report back. Even though this is a pain, the hugo is so perfect sound and footprint and function wise i will gladly put up with some hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,288 of 15,691
Similar issue here. When I unplugged the moon audio usb cable yesterday the usb connector came off the circuit board. Kapoot. No more hd usb input capability. When i looked at actual connector it is not connected by much to the hugo board. Two sharp metal protrusions into two small holes on the board. Chord should improve the micro USB seating. Or better yet do away with 2 micro inputs and replace with one hd regular size usb input.

My dealer was super responsive. Waiting to hear from NA Distributor on monday to see how they will get this fixed. Will report back. Even though this is a pain, the hugo is so perfect sound and footprint and function wise i will gladly put up with some hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ouch! Sorry to hear this. Same thing happened to my JH3A amp a couple of years back. Luckily, my company's technical director with much experience in circuit boards was near by and did an excellent job resoldering the connector back on. All it took was 20 minutes and never had any problem since.

Having seen this problem with your Hugo I'm more and more inclined on modding the I/Os on the Hugo - USB B to replace the micro USB, chassis mounted RCAs for line out and spdif in and a power switch with easier access. Only thing hindering me is the time needed to rework the chassis if required...

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,289 of 15,691
That really sucks about the USB connector. Something that is supposed to be portable should have sturdier connections. Isn't the idea of the product to be able to take it with you? Wouldn't that necessarily mean plugging and unplugging regularly? Maybe a right angle plug would give less leverage on the tiny jack... 

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,290 of 15,691

podeschi - Ouch x 2! Thanks for letting us know. Looks like we have to be very careful.

holeout - Sounds like a great idea re: mod. Maybe small mod services might just spring up if the revised chassis doesn't work out :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back