Chord Hugo
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #976 of 15,688
This optical cable will pass 192/24 from AK120 to Meridian Director DAC...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5DY1JQ/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #977 of 15,688

For one thing, the AK120(S) can't output native DSD, the DSD files from 120S is converted to hi-res PCM before output via spdif. The conversion introduces inconsistency in different DSD files usually resulting in slight distortions in the music. With the ipad, DSD is streamed to Hugo natively using DOP over usb, hence no conversion inconsistencies. DSD playback with ipad/Hugo is definitely the best I heard with the Hugo so far. For other hi-res formats, it a close call. So factoring in the all the music file formats that I'll be using with the Hugo, I definitely favor the SQ with the iDevice/Hugo setup. The only down side is storage capacity, which I hope Android base devices can come into rescue in future....

how does your lumin dac compare to the hugo?

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #978 of 15,688
So with further listening and use, is there any consensus on what softwares are working best with mac or android? Has anyone tried DSD?  edit: I see right above my post an iDevice with good use of the feedback. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #980 of 15,688
  My thoughts on the Chord Hugo....bit too long to post here! Be gentle it's my first write up.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/blog/chord-electronics-hugo-review/

Good write up. Was glad to finally hear mention of LCD-3 in use with the Hugo. I think I might have finally found a good dac/amp device in the Hugo.
Just need to demo it and compare it against the Burson Conductor. Although seeing as the Conductor doesn't do DSD playback, Hugo is already in the lead for my needs.

cheers,

Shaka

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #982 of 15,688
Good write up. Was glad to finally hear mention of LCD-3 in use with the Hugo. I think I might have finally found a good dac/amp device in the Hugo.
Just need to demo it and compare it against the Burson Conductor. Although seeing as the Conductor doesn't do DSD playback, Hugo is already in the lead for my needs.

cheers,

Shaka

I have already pair My LCD 3 With Hugo on The page below
I am agree With Phil about LCD 3

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/870

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #984 of 15,688
Do you guys have access to a pair of Audio Technica W5000 by any chance? They're pretty much as picky as HD800 and it would be fantastic to get (relatively old) flagship woodies to pair well with Hugo.

I Dont have My W5000 anymore
5 Days ago i heard W3000 anv pair With Hugo
With Hugo W 3000 anv sound quality more detail , better mid and more Clear , The bass has better impact and faster compare to My Other set Up
Has Fuller sound and better clarity compare My set Up , Like My Go dap DD 1 9 Volt muse01 + Intruder .

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #985 of 15,688
  My thoughts on the Chord Hugo....bit too long to post here! Be gentle it's my first write up.

Great review. Now...we are all very interested to hear your feedback about comparison between the AK240 & the HUGO !  

.... May be you will end with the AK240 as a source for the HUGO :)

By the way, did you tested the TH900 and the AlphaDOG with the Hugo ?

And, as a closed "non leaking" headphone, which one do you prefer (with the HUGO) : Audeze XC, AlphaDOG, SigPRO, Beyerdynamic T5P....   

and which one leak the least ? 

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #987 of 15,688
I couldn't resist and got a Hugo, never even knew there were retailers in Canada. Hoping to get mine in two weeks.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #988 of 15,688
I couldn't resist and got a Hugo, never even knew there were retailers in Canada. Hoping to get mine in two weeks. :D

I would be very interested to hear what you think about your K10's with the Hugo.

I ordered the Hugo several weeks ago, but I have to wait about 5 more weeks to get it.. and now I am in the process of getting the K10's.. and I will get them if my ears are suitable.. will know for sure in a week or two.. but from what I have read I guess they will be a pretty good match. :D

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #989 of 15,688
I would be very interested to hear what you think about your K10's with the Hugo.

I ordered the Hugo several weeks ago, but I have to wait about 5 more weeks to get it.. and now I am in the process of getting the K10's.. and I will get them if my ears are suitable.. will know for sure in a week or two.. but from what I have read I guess they will be a pretty good match.
biggrin.gif

Well from what the dealer told me I'm in the next batch of the Hugos coming here which are going to be with the revised ports and should be shipped to me in two weeks time so that's a plus, I wouldn't of minded the original sized ports. Still in the process of getting familiar with the K10s since I only got them a week ago. Extensions at both ends are great, the sound is smooth and blends really well. It's a tad warm and compared to 8.a the bass is tighter with great impact only when called for it instead of having a constant midbass presence blurring things.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #990 of 15,688
Quote:

Excellent write up! 

Quote:

Bro, I Can tell You hugo Dac Technology is More advanced than that cdplayer (the cd player use older technology from qbd dac which cost 5 times hugo) mk 3 tap length is 18000 tap length, hugo has 26000 tap length, Even the Chord Chief , John Frank Said, Hugo is the best Dac Chord Have made , It's Chord Reference.
in theory everything from Chord Product from cd player to dac , hugo is number 1.
so we must proud to have chord best dac now , i have seen somewhere somebody said this not 2k dac it is 20k dac hahaha.

my prediction in future soon chord will replace their flagship dac qbd with something that use hugo dac inside desktop case dac with more feature like ram buffering, better  pcb,and lower price than qbd.

I've reviewed the Chordette Qute Ex and, while still a good product, it seemed quite below Hugo which seems to have the newest technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back