1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Hugo

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by harmonix, Jan 28, 2014.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last
  1. evolutionx

I probably will not do that due to the size of the rig, but will try it out and see the difference.    Cheers.

2. bmichels
    Thanks a lot. This will be very interesting, because my self use a AK100 as transport to feed the TU-05, but since I don't like the AK100's  DAC, I use a desktop DAC in between ! not very convenient !

3. jamato8 Contributor
    For some reason I thought the Hugo did pure dsd but it does dsd over pcm but there are a number of DAPs that do that now. And the AK240 appears to do DoP. 

In reading about this, it doesn't seem there is a consistent audible change in sound that people can hear. I have also read that few say they can hear the difference between good hi rez pcm and dsd.

I look forward to any more impressions of sound with the Hugo. 

4. jude Administrator

jamato8, I'm listening to it right now using Audirvana DoP. Where are you seeing it's doing DSD-to-PCM conversion?

5. jamato8 Contributor
    Isn't DoP dsd over PCM or DSD to PCM? There have been a number of players on the market over the years that do DoP and it appears the AK240 does true DSD. Maybe I am missing something or not understanding DoP but everything I have read is that this is the system of converting the dsd to pcm for playback.  I am trying to find where I read it does DoP and can't now. It was an hour or so ago but my history isn't showing me where I was. 

Here it is from Chord:

"In addition to 384kHz PCM files, the Hugo can also process DSD 128 data using the latest DSD-over-PCM standard (DoP). Whether using Mac OS or Windows OS, Chord Electronics’ own proprietary driver software is provided, removing the restrictions of current operating system audio playback."​

6. jude Administrator

DoP is DSD--it is not converted to PCM at any time. DoP is DSD packed into a PCM bit stream. DSD's data stream (1-bit, 2.8224MHz sample rate) is equivalent, in terms of data rate, to 16-bit/176.4kHz PCM, so DoP uses an 8-bit header/flag/marker (I've seen it called any or all of those things) that's used only to identify the stream as DSD. A true DSD-capable DAC is needed to decode it. It is DSD. If you attempt to play it via a PCM-only DAC, you won't hear music (you may hear something, but it won't be music).

7. seeteeyou

8. alcyst

I'm getting the same problem. The optical port seems so recessed within the casing that the optical connectors i have are not clicking and i am getting no connection.

9. Goldlion973
  10. nOtEcH

I believe I read some where that the Hugo did not have enough power to make the HE-6 sing as they can, and a balanced out could help a bit I would guess.. apart from that the Hugo is said to make most headphones sing.. I have'nt heard it yet so I can't confirm.. but I guess it is true as "everybody" are praising this little amp..

Anyway.. I agree.. why not have a balanced output to make it more or less complete? I'll guess that the Hugo mk1 will have one.. one jack, one mini jack, and one balanced out.. :wink:

Goldlion973 likes this.
  11. jamato8 Contributor

Sysconcepts can make the 1300 fiber optical cable in any length and the terminations you want, leaving off the toslink shell. I suggest them because I consider their product to be be excellent, transmit better than glass and a much better price.

12. tonyl59
    Been listening to AK120/Hugo/TH900 for hours today. Just me in the house, no background noise...

Completely and utterly stunned. Awesome. Everything sounded truly sublime. Very, very happy. What a wonderful device.

Sorry to gush but I just had to let someone know. Now, really must get some sleep!

13. jamato8 Contributor
    Gush all you want. I am clinging to the details of what everyone hears. No chance to hear it here in the bush of Alaska so I hear through others ears and am looking to purchase one myself. 

14. NZtechfreak

No doubt this is true, even the RSA Intruder cannot really drive the HE-6 (it'll achieve good volumes, sure, but that is not the same as driving the HE-6 well).

As to whether it could power other orthos, I expect it may well be able to. The LCD2 sounded good out of a number of my portables (HeadAmp Pico, Apex Glacier, RSA Intruder), and while all the orthos respond well to massive gobs of power, most with the obvious exception of the HE-6 will still sound very pleasing off a wide-range of amps.

15. jamato8 Contributor
    I see no reason it would be expected to drive the HE-6. They sound best out of a specialized high powered amp anyway. I would prefer a good all around amp with transparency and control for normal phones. And above that, the best dac for portable or semi portable use and from all that I read, the Hugo does this. That it requires some modification on the IC's and to find a coax or Toslink that fits is just a little work. I would expect they will change this on the next model but it doesn't really matter to me since I make my own IC's and don't like bulky housings on my IC's anyway or on my phones where they terminate. And while I enjoy balanced, I have heard very good single ended that can compete. Where do get is more power, as we know but a good single ended amp can deliver also. 

It's music, it's good. 

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last