Chord Hugo
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #11,866 of 15,691
Given the huge size of this thread, can some kind soul give me the common wisdom on the SQ when using USB in from iPhone/Mac, compared to something like the AK? 

Thanks a lot!

I used to use my iPhone 6 Plus to feed the Hugo. At the time. I felt that Hugo was a little disappointing for the hype - much better than the phone alone but not a huge improvement over my ZX1. However, when I bought a ZX2, I bought the USB adapter and connected it my Hugo. The difference from the iPhone was huge - finally I got what all the fuss was about.

In my opinion, the transport is very important for a DAC. I read recently that Hugo is particularly sensitive to the quality of its USB input, so if you have a transport with optical, the difference might not be so great.

Psrsonally, I'd keep your AK and buy the Hugo as well. At least then you can compare your phone and the AL and see for yourself. It would be easy to flog the AK on eBay for more than you'd get trade-in.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #11,867 of 15,691
I used to use my iPhone 6 Plus to feed the Hugo. At the time. I felt that Hugo was a little disappointing for the hype - much better than the phone alone but not a huge improvement over my ZX1. However, when I bought a ZX2, I bought the USB adapter and connected it my Hugo. The difference from the iPhone was huge - finally I got what all the fuss was about.

In my opinion, the transport is very important for a DAC. I read recently that Hugo is particularly sensitive to the quality of its USB input, so if you have a transport with optical, the difference might not be so great.

Psrsonally, I'd keep your AK and buy the Hugo as well. At least then you can compare your phone and the AL and see for yourself. It would be easy to flog the AK on eBay for more than you'd get trade-in.

Thanks a lot for your input. I was going to sell the AK partially to fund the Hugo, but I think I will follow your advice and hang onto it for a while just to make some meaningful comparisons. I know I can get USB or digital out of my Macbook Pro, but I don't want to be tied to my laptop whenever I want to listen to music. Especialliy because I know that if I open up my laptop to change albums or something, more often than not I'll end up just doing some mindless websurfing.....

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #11,868 of 15,691
Listening this morning with my P1 connected to the Hugo using the stock (thin white) optical cable...

Although it sounded pretty amazing already imo, I was wondering: how good is this stock cable and would there be a lot to gain in sq using (read buying) an upgrade optical cable? Any recommendations on this?
Thanks in advance...

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #11,869 of 15,691

Thanks a lot for your input. I was going to sell the AK partially to fund the Hugo, but I think I will follow your advice and hang onto it for a while just to make some meaningful comparisons. I know I can get USB or digital out of my Macbook Pro, but I don't want to be tied to my laptop whenever I want to listen to music. Especialliy because I know that if I open up my laptop to change albums or something, more often than not I'll end up just doing some mindless websurfing.....

One other consideration for you might be the number of tracks or albums you have on your AK that are higher def than 44 or 48/16.  Don't know about the iPhone 6, but with the other iPhones you would have to down sample those tracks to get them to play on your iPhone, unless you are willing to use a 3rd party player like the Onkyo.  One other issue, IMO, is the headphone or iem you are using, as I hear a more noticeable improvement with the Hugo and full size headphones versus iems.  And that is something only you can determine with your particular setup.  Your plan to keep the AK long enough to try it for yourself sounds like the best bet.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #11,870 of 15,691
  Listening this morning with my P1 connected to the Hugo using the stock (thin white) optical cable...

Although it sounded pretty amazing already imo, I was wondering: how good is this stock cable and would there be a lot to gain in sq using (read buying) an upgrade optical cable? Any recommendations on this?
Thanks in advance...

The stock cable is fine and will transmit at the highest bit depths. It is best to allow it the most natural path and don't try to bend it too much. You will see if you use it in the dark any bend will result in a warm red glow, which shows that light is leaking from the fibre.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #11,871 of 15,691
  The stock cable is fine and will transmit at the highest bit depths. It is best to allow it the most natural path and don't try to bend it too much. You will see if you use it in the dark any bend will result in a warm red glow, which shows that light is leaking from the fibre.

Thanks for your reply!
Glad I don't have to invest in an extra cable then => you saved me some money by this answer
rolleyes.gif

The first time I tried it (yesterday) I had it connected like this...

I guess I better don't stack it up (bend it) like that (although I didn't notice any red glow) anymore then...

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #11,872 of 15,691
  Thanks for your reply!
Glad I don't have to invest in an extra cable then => you saved me some money by this answer
rolleyes.gif

The first time I tried it (yesterday) I had it connected like this...

I guess I better don't stack it up (bend it) like that (although I didn't notice any red glow) anymore then...

That's a fairly gentle bend and will be OK. Just check it out in the dark and you will see how far you can go.
If you intend to use it as a stack, Chord do provide a shorter cable (which I think is now supplied instead of this white one as standard) and can be obtained from your local dealer.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #11,873 of 15,691
  That's a fairly gentle bend and will be OK. Just check it out in the dark and you will see how far you can go.
If you intend to use it as a stack, Chord do provide a shorter cable (which I think is now supplied instead of this white one as standard) and can be obtained from your local dealer.

I would like a shorter optical cable, so I'll check that later on...
Thanks again!
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #11,874 of 15,691
  I would like a shorter optical cable, so I'll check that later on...
Thanks again!
beerchug.gif

There is a short cable included in the package. I have a right angled adapter and use it like this. 
With this adapter, you can also have all cables on one side of the stack.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #11,875 of 15,691
  There is a short cable included in the package. I have a right angled adapter and use it like this. 
With this adapter, you can also have all cables on one side of the stack.

With your setup it looks like the optical cable would be a better fit if you put the AK120ii the other way round... maybe the cable could then tuck under the case webbing...

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #11,876 of 15,691
With your setup it looks like the optical cable would be a better fit if you put the AK120ii the other way round... maybe the cable could then tuck under the case webbing...

I tried, it doesn't reach top from the far side. From the near side, it bends very sharp.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #11,878 of 15,691
if ever there was a case for vinyl then one album stands above all others 'Astral Weeks - Van Morrison', on vinyl the album is a master-class of wonderful folk/jazz melodies which sounds superb, unfortunately the CD version is utter dog-turd, the quality can be compared to a couple of ole moggies singing for their suppers by the rubbish-bins.

a few years back 'Van the Man' decided to take the hands-on approach and remaster all of his back catalogue except 'Astral Weeks' he decided to release a 'live' version instead, the 'live' version on CD was a serious upgrade to the crap sounding original, I digress... Van has finally decided to release the remastered version of 'Astral Weeks' with some bonus tracks on October 30th. It's not often I get excited about an Album but this has been missing from my CD library for a few decades, I was toying with the idea of buying the original version when I came across this, my thinking being that the Hugo might be the right bit of kit to make it sound 'acceptable'.

I was having a lil' listen to the 'live' version earlier and cast a look to my mate Hugo (we've become great friends) thinking 'you're in for a treat mate', I swear 'on the life of the spider that resides in my bathroom' that Hugo revved his engine a few times...
tongue_smile.gif

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astral-Weeks-Expanded-Van-Morrison/dp/B014K3640M/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442219069&sr=1-3&keywords=Astral+Weeks

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #11,879 of 15,691

WOW, wow and wow. Thanks for posting this OK-Guy as I wasn't aware of a remastered Astral Weeks being released soon. You're made my day! 
atsmile.gif

Quote:
  if ever there was a case for vinyl then one album stands above all others 'Astral Weeks - Van Morrison', on vinyl the album is a master-class of wonderful folk/jazz melodies which sounds superb, unfortunately the CD version is utter dog-turd, the quality can be compared to a couple of ole moggies singing for their suppers by the rubbish-bins.

a few years back 'Van the Man' decided to take the hands-on approach and remaster all of his back catalogue except 'Astral Weeks' he decided to release a 'live' version instead, the 'live' version on CD was a serious upgrade to the crap sounding original, I digress... Van has finally decided to release the remastered version of 'Astral Weeks' with some bonus tracks on October 30th. It's not often I get excited about an Album but this has been missing from my CD library for a few decades, I was toying with the idea of buying the original version when I came across this, my thinking being that the Hugo might be the right bit of kit to make it sound 'acceptable'.

I was having a lil' listen to the 'live' version earlier and cast a look to my mate Hugo (we've become great friends) thinking 'you're in for a treat mate', I swear 'on the life of the spider that resides in my bathroom' that Hugo revved his engine a few times...
tongue_smile.gif

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astral-Weeks-Expanded-Van-Morrison/dp/B014K3640M/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1442219069&sr=1-3&keywords=Astral+Weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back