Chord Hugo
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #8,208 of 15,692
Chord Hugo + Schiit Lyr 2 + Hifiman HE560........

Do the good folk of Head-Fi think this could be a winning combination? I'm thinking of upgrading/changing my current setup of Musical Fidelity M1 dac and M1 amp. I also have a HE-500 and T1 and love all 3 headphones.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #8,212 of 15,692
Great review, thanks for the link

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #8,213 of 15,692
Hi guys, back in the Hugo club... The buyer changed his mind, the moron. In the meantime, I still couldn't audition Meridian Prime because the dealer in Turkey doesn't have it in stock yet. I might have to buy from Custom Cable, again...

Do you think Hugo pairs well with planars?

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #8,214 of 15,692

Here's a question for the amazing Rob ...

Or should I just always use the hi-res input?

The "low-res" USB input was meant for compatibility issues with phones and equipment not able to work in hi-res. If your "low-res" music and setup work fine into the hi-res USB input, you should definitely just use that. I never use the standard USB input for anything.

Are you sure you're right in saying that you should always use the hi-res USB input?

Rob Watts has just said in answering my post that it is better to use a galvanic isolator such as the Olimex because of ground plane issues, and it is only possibly to use a galvanic isolator with the standard USB input.  I take that to mean it's best to use the standard USB input and a galvanic isolator for upto 24/48 material, and only use the hi-res input when necessary for 24/96 and up. Maybe I misunderstood Robs answer. Or do you know of a galvanic isolator that will work on the hi-res input?

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #8,215 of 15,692

Are you sure you're right in saying that you should always use the hi-res USB input?

Rob Watts has just said in answering my post that it is better to use a galvanic isolator such as the Olimex because of ground plane issues, and it is only possibly to use a galvanic isolator with the standard USB input.  I take that to mean it's best to use the standard USB input and a galvanic isolator for upto 24/48 material, and only use the hi-res input when necessary for 24/96 and up. Maybe I misunderstood Robs answer. Or do you know of a galvanic isolator that will work on the hi-res input?

hmmm, I just ordered Olimex USB-ISO.
Can anyone confirm if it works with hi-res?

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #8,217 of 15,692

hmmm, I just ordered Olimex USB-ISO.
Can anyone confirm if it works with hi-res?

I would assume you need something like Audiophilleo for it to work with hi-res. Audiophilleo does DSD and hi-res PCM. I haven't heard it but some of this stuff can be snake oil so I don't recommend buying without first trying.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #8,218 of 15,692
  No it only works with the SD USB.

Rob

Too bad. I love the sound I'm getting from my MBP but when I hook Hugo up with my old beat-up Samsung S3, the sound is cleaner and improved sound stage.

Will disconnecting the charger from both Hugo and MBP reduce ground noise? I do hear slight improvement but I could just be imagining things...

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,220 of 15,692

Too bad. I love the sound I'm getting from my MBP but when I hook Hugo up with my old beat-up Samsung S3, the sound is cleaner and improved sound stage.

Will disconnecting the charger from both Hugo and MBP reduce ground noise? I do hear slight improvement but I could just be imagining things...

Disconnecting the chargers doesn't make any difference  - as all computers create a lot of RF Noise with or without power connection.
For high-res you can get good results with the Audiophilleo (+ Power Supply), but that means you have to spend quite bit more money to get slightly better result.
Also in my opinion on OSX,  Amarra sounds slightly better then Audirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back