Chord Hugo
Sep 13, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #8,191 of 15,688
  Here's a question for the amazing Rob ...

My Hugo is wonderful. You've said on earlier posts that it's best to use the USB input with a USB isolator such as the Olimex because of ground noise issues. That leaves me with a problem, in that I can't play 24/96 or 24/192 music through the "standard" input. If I connect a second USB cable to the "hi-res" input of the Hugo, (which would save me unplugging/plugging the lead and the Olimex) will the second lead put the ground noise back into the Hugo when the hi-res input is not in use? I'm looking for the best possible sound quality, but it would be nice not to mess with cables and to be able to listen to hi-res stuff when I want to without compromising standard stuff. Or should I just always use the hi-res input?

I suppose an alternative would be to get a third-part USB to s/pdif converter .. but unless there was one that would give a better result than the USB inputs of the Hugo I'd rather save my pennies for the next Chord DAC :) !

Yes isolating the USB really helps; its smoother (lower RF noise) and with much better sound stage depth (this is normally an indication of correlated noise degrading small signal fundamental linearity - so as the PC is processing the data, it is adding audio related in-band noise into the ground, so isolating the ground stops this)

Unfortunately, the suggestion of adding two USB cables won't work as you are still connecting the grounds together.

The new QBD has galvanic isolation built in, and will still work with 384 kHz sources.

Rob 

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #8,192 of 15,688
Here's a question for the amazing Rob ...

Or should I just always use the hi-res input?

The "low-res" USB input was meant for compatibility issues with phones and equipment not able to work in hi-res. If your "low-res" music and setup work fine into the hi-res USB input, you should definitely just use that. I never use the standard USB input for anything.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #8,193 of 15,688
The SD is not as good sounding as the HD input, imho. It helps if u add an usb isolator in between.

Sir Rob, please keep us updated with the new QBD as appropriate.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #8,194 of 15,688
The SD is not as good sounding as the HD input, imho. It helps if u add an usb isolator in between.

Sir Rob, please keep us updated with the new QBD as appropriate.

Agreed, and @AndrewOld all your problems are now solved!

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #8,195 of 15,688
  Yes isolating the USB really helps; its smoother (lower RF noise) and with much better sound stage depth (this is normally an indication of correlated noise degrading small signal fundamental linearity - so as the PC is processing the data, it is adding audio related in-band noise into the ground, so isolating the ground stops this)

Unfortunately, the suggestion of adding two USB cables won't work as you are still connecting the grounds together.

The new QBD has galvanic isolation built in, and will still work with 384 kHz sources.

Rob 

Thanks! Good to hear that the new QBD has galvanic isolation built in and works up to 384kHz. Hopefully it'll also have balanced outputs and remote controlled volume and sound even better! Looking forward to it very much :) Meantime I'll just fiddle with leads when I want to play hi-res. Cheers.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #8,198 of 15,688
Can someone recommend a good USB isolator for between a laptop and the Hugo. Right now, my optical out from the AK100 sounds much better...but the AK, has limited storage.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #8,199 of 15,688
 I just take USB straight from my desktop and the sound is so great I wouldn't change a thing. There is NO noise, hum, or anything else extraneous that I can hear at high or low level listening and I don't even use any power conditioning.
By the way, Lornecherry, 10+ years ago I sent my Sony SCD777ES to Richard Kern for his full mod. Good stuff there. (I've moved on to EMM, but still recall the Kern sound with satisfaction.)

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,200 of 15,688
Has anyone taken out insurance on their Hugo? Im in the UK just in terms of letting me know companies that do this . 

I would be carrying it around with me to work and home often and want to not have to worry about theft all the time. 

Cheers ! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back