Chord Hugo
Aug 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #7,952 of 15,688
Thinking about the Hugo dac with the Vorzuge Pure II amp driving the Noble K10 for my portable setup. iPod or Asell for player which might be preferred?

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #7,954 of 15,688
Thinking about the Hugo dac with the Vorzuge Pure II amp driving the Noble K10 for my portable setup. iPod or Asell for player which might be preferred?
I know that the Duo isn't the same as the Pure II, however - the SQ of the Hugo surpasses that of the Vorzuge to my ears, sounding much cleaner / crisper...

As a result, I've put my Duo in the FS section.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7,956 of 15,688
The Hugo volume dial has enough fine control for iem. You should demo Hugo first before thinking of adding an amp

Hmmm that might be the ticket then. Is it difficult to get my library moved onto iPhone or iPod? Never tried to do it so may look like an idiot for asking...

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #7,957 of 15,688
I'd like to try some DSD files.  Using Foobar and having trouble finding the foo_input_sacd.dll.  Are there any other players for windows other than JRiver, of course, that might be less like pulling teeth to use?

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #7,958 of 15,688
Hmmm that might be the ticket then. Is it difficult to get my library moved onto iPhone or iPod? Never tried to do it so may look like an idiot for asking...

iTunes is absolutely fine as an iDevice hub. Best to use an external tagger.

The most important thing is in iTunes preferences / options do not allow iTunes to manage your music [folder]. Otherwise it messes with your folder structure when importing existing files on your computer.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,959 of 15,688
Anyone using the Hugo with IECMs like the Noble K10? Looking at a more portable setup to put together with enduring quality and awesome SQ.
I have tried the K10 with the Hugo and didn't like it because the Hugo's background hiss was pretty audible over my music at low volume levels and started to annoy me.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #7,960 of 15,688

iTunes is absolutely fine as an iDevice hub. Best to use an external tagger.

The most important thing is in iTunes preferences / options do not allow iTunes to manage your music [folder]. Otherwise it messes with your folder structure when importing existing files on your computer.

OK I thought it would not be easy due to no file structure on Apple products. That's why I don't use apple stuff except for the iphone. Bought an ipad a long time ago and haven't touched it in over a year. Totally useless to me. I was hoping I could just drag and drop but then that would be too easy. BTW I hate windows too. Microsoft sucks. BUT at least I have a file structure to keep everything organized.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7,961 of 15,688

Anyone using the Hugo with IECMs like the Noble K10? Looking at a more portable setup to put together with enduring quality and awesome SQ.

I have tried the K10 with the Hugo and didn't like it because the Hugo's background hiss was pretty audible over my music at low volume levels and started to annoy me.

Well that is not good news. Will keep searching for a portable dac solution then. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #7,962 of 15,688
Listening to Otis Redding hd album The Dock of the Bay.
This is the first album which I prefer using the crossfeed turned on.
Gives a better balance, but cannot help feel a little guilty I am somehow altering the purity of how it should sound.

The album was recorded in 1967, and it has hard panned right guitars, so it would benefit from cross feed. This was typical in the 60's. Remember too that it would have been mastered with loudspeakers - which would give say +/-30 degree stage width, which is emulated with cross feed set to max. So you are hearing it on headphones as per the mix engineer would have heard it, with cross feed on. I prefer it with cross feed set to max, as it more closely matches hearing on loudspeakers (which I prefer) and more like what I hear, in sound stage terms, when I listen to a live orchestra.

The cross feed function is done with it's own 16 FS (705.6 kHz or 768 kHz) 48 bit DSP cores - additional to the 16 WTA cores. Also, it is done with first order EQ, so its mathematically identical to analogue cross feed of the 70's and 80's, but without adding any distortion, noise or degrading transparency.

So if you like it, use it, no need to feel guilty.

Rob

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7,963 of 15,688

Well that is not good news. Will keep searching for a portable dac solution then. Thanks.

I use Onkyo HF Player for my iPad, but only use it once.

For my Samsung S3 (my main phone with 64gb micro SD, rooted KitKat), I use USB Audio Player Pro (which for me sounds the best) connecting through the HD USB port on the Hugo. The quality of sound coming from this surprise me a lot, I can't tell the different when using S3 and when connecting to my rMBP.

I keep all my music files organised, fully tagged, so I would just drag and drop the song/album that I like in to my S3. This process for me is quicker than going through iTunes.

At this point if I buy a DAP, it would be for larger storage capacity for all my high-res music files.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,964 of 15,688
Listening to Eric Johnson's Europe Live tour album, crossfeed makes a lot of positive difference. I prefer crossfeed with live recorded music.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7,965 of 15,688

I have a pair of K10's and with the music muted, I can just hear Hugo's noise - but only when I switch Hugo off is it noticeable, it is smaller than background noise. But when you play CD, you can hear the master tape noise, due to Hugo's and the K10's transparency, but its not annoying, just a slight hiss and a rumble from the concert hall.

Rob 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back