Chord Hugo
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,042 of 15,688

I need some guidance with regard to what devices I could potentially use to front-end the Cord i.e iPhone, iPod others… I don’t have a home system at the moment so this is it for me.  I want to be able to play wav, FLAC and/or other lossless recording formats on this device such that the Cord player will have the opportunity to light up like a disco ball.   

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your guidance.

Respectfully,

Speedracer1. AKA (Tom) 

Hey Tom, finally saw your post. 

I think based on your usage (on a train) & assuming you might get a home rig in the near future, I would just go with Hugo and your existing Iphone/Itouch for now. Download the Onkyo HF player apps & DSD files on Iphone & Hugo will still light up like a Disco ball. I don't recommend spending another $1,000 getting ZX1 or AK device so that you can use Coaxial cable to improve sound further other than having more storage than Iphone. I highly doubt anyone can hear any improvement in SQ on a NY train (Not the quiet Japan or SingaporeTrain), so save some wallet skin & get some nice DSD files instead & you will be very happy for along time.. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,043 of 15,688
Quick question from a newbie on Chord.  Lots of threads here my apologies if this question was answered somewhere else. 
What is a HD USB?  How does it relate to the Hugo requirements for a sound source?
My guess is that it's an audiophile term for 2.0 USB connection that doesn't default to a 1.1?
       Thanks
              Mark

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,044 of 15,688
Quick question from a newbie on Chord.  Lots of threads here my apologies if this question was answered somewhere else. 
What is a HD USB?  How does it relate to the Hugo requirements for a sound source?
My guess is that it's an audiophile term for 2.0 USB connection that doesn't default to a 1.1?
       Thanks
              Mark

It's the USB input for audio files of res higher than 48kHz, which does require a driver on windows.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,045 of 15,688
Like to add, wow what a find here on this forum.  As someone old school and into promo video restoration, who recently is looking to take the plunge into serious audio upgrades.  The Hugo sounds like a real ground breaker for folks like me with a basically non existent hi end audio system  that are on the go.  In one swoop with the recent purchase of some Sennheiser HD 650's I will have brought my audio front end into the 21st century.  The Hugo fits perfectly into my system without making hardly any piece obsolete except my old I/O external converter.  Good riddance, hello ebay! 
  Gracias,
             Chord

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,046 of 15,688
It's the USB input for audio files of res higher than 48kHz, which does require a driver on windows.

Which usb 2.0 fulfills?  With the correct driver in Windows. 

Ahh, I get it, Chord just named it an HD usb input because it's really not a compliant usb port being mini and non powered.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,049 of 15,688
  I think both are USB 2.0, but I am not sure. USB 1.1 is really unlikely to be seen on recently released devices, and USB 3.0 has different port.

Yeah, I updated my thread and took out the USB 3.0 question, after I remembered that USB 3.0 can default to 2.0, so the point is mute and it also would work with the Hugo HD usb port in windows provided the correct drivers are installed.
    Thanks for your input,
                         Elvis

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,050 of 15,688
  I think both are USB 2.0, but I am not sure. USB 1.1 is really unlikely to be seen on recently released devices, and USB 3.0 has different port.

Gang,
We are confusing USB port types and USB audio classes. 

So as to not confuse anyone else green to the subject and to complete the thought process.
Yeah, Ted is correct in that the USB 2.0 is compliant with a 1.1 usb, which in this case in audio as far as PC is concerned, 1.1 does not require an additional driver.  Thus the Hugo's other non HD mini usb input for quick connections to other usb port devices not capable of non hi rez sound and problematic for a written driver with their numerous diverse operating systems.

Elvis

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,051 of 15,688

Welcome! Feel free to ask any and every question you want. We're a collaborative community here to help. I apologize if there has been an environment created where there is hesitation to ask anything out of fear that it may have already been addressed. 

About the USB inputs, the "SD" USB input is meant to handle up to 16 bit / 48Khz files, without a driver for Mac and PC. The "HD" input supports all the way up to 384Khz, DXD, DSD up to 128, but requires a driver for Windows, not Mac. Driver is here

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2,052 of 15,688

Welcome! Feel free to ask any and every question you want. We're a collaborative community here to help. I apologize if there has been an environment created where there is hesitation to ask anything out of fear that it may have already been addressed. 

About the USB inputs, the "SD" USB input is meant to handle up to 16 bit / 48Khz files, without a driver for Mac and PC. The "HD" input supports all the way up to 384Khz, DXD, DSD up to 128, but requires a driver for Windows, not Mac. Driver is here

Thank you for the welcoming and the further clarification as far as the usb mini inputs on the Hugo.  That is all fine in the instructions concerning the Hugo's inputs.  Guess where the confusion may be is on the other end of that usb connection, the device used to drive the Hugo.  What requirements as far as the type of usb port on the driving device?   Think I got it but for clarification might be nice for other green horns coming to the forum.
     Thanks
                  Elvis

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,053 of 15,688
Also not to knock Chord, fantastic products.  But even I, a fairly experienced PC guy, was confused initially upon the specifications of the Hugo about what an HD usb input was.  My first reaction in reading the Hugo specs for the HD usb input was to think there was some new usb input standard that I was unaware of, and that I would be required to have a HD usb input on the other end for the driving device, in this case my PC.
Now I understand that this is a clarification by Chord to separate it's inputs from any classifications other than it's own.   Might be nice to clarify that in their material.  If they do, my apologies.  Just trying to give a little feed back.
    Elvis

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,054 of 15,688
Feedback is needed. Chord is involved in this thread. Any feedback is helpful, good and bad. 

I could see where you could easily draw that conclusion. We're talking about a pretty niche product here that is in the first stages of initial release. There are other problems with the material too, causing confusion. But we'll figuring it out, and Chord will act accordingly. Those guys build great audio equipment, and I'm doubting writing tech manuals is their specialty : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back