1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Hugo

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by harmonix, Jan 28, 2014.
  1. Triode User
    I used to have a Hugo1. As far as I remember all the headphone outputs and the RCA are all equally connected so you can use any of them as outputs to headphones or an amp. If you want RCA out to an amplifier why don't you just use a pair of RCA to RCA cables?

I am a bit confused about how you want to use your existing 3.5mm>>RCA cable. Surely you can lug the jack into the hugo and then the RCA into your amp. If you want to use it the other way around I am sure it will be fine as well. )Although the 3.5mm>>RCA cable you have may have a directional arrow on it, it should work equally well the other way around - in fact I really can't see why it wouldn't).

2. skootb
    It's not directional. It'll work just fine the other way

3. dolphy007
    The music will come out backwards

AndrewH13, Blueshound24 and JaZZ like this.
  4. cscales
    Thanks, everybody!

No, it's me who's backwards...

Last night when I set up to test connections, I had the wrong input selected. I forgot Hugo resets when you power off. 20181004_105043.jpg 20181004_105043.jpg 20181004_104054.jpg

In the photo you can see what I was hoping to accomplish, except with a future KSE1200 amp not the Blackbird. Turns out my 3.5mm>>3.5mm works fine to connect the units.

FYI, skootb, you are right about the 3.5 to RCA cable. It does work both ways, despite the label on the cable!

5. fiascogarcia
    All the outputs are analog so you can also use the 3.5mm and 1/4in phone jacks. I usually used the 3.5mm to connect to my amp.

6. Triode User
    Of course it does. Electricity is quite good at going in both directions through a cable!

7. cscales
    Every highend set of interconnects and speaker cables I've ever owned (from multiple companies) were "directional" and came with markings indicating "signal direction>>". Has it all been a lie, dammit?!?

Any idea why companies include the markings if the cables work both ways?

Now I'm curious. I'm going to switch the direction of the interconnects in my 2 channel system and pray I don't blow something up. Wish me luck...

8. Whazzzup
    My xlr are one direction, they state the benefits, but who knows. Granted they sound great, and you can’t plug em in the other way anyway.

9. skootb
    They're just wires. Same on both sides

10. Triode User
    Some screened cables have the screen connected only at one end and that is a reason to indicate direction. More often than not though it is meant to be an indication of which way round the cable sounds best. I make and sell expensive cables and I have to say I have yet to hear any difference which ever way round they are. When my Wave digital cables were reviewed recently by Audio Bacon I was asked if they were directional and I of course said no. The reviewer thought he could hear a difference depending on which way they were connected but I am dubious. Anyway, no matter he bought the review set so it didn’t matter!

I think the little arrows make people feel better and if so then why not.

11. bloodhound212
    Hi, guys!
    I faced a problem with my Hugo which I bought from eBay a couple of days ago.
    I noticed that batteries do not held charge enough despite the seller said that all the bettaries had been replaced recently.
    DAC was seriously modified with external RCA plugs. So I wanted to check the betteries and internal condition of PCB as I did not know how accurately soldering has been done by the previous owner.
    It appeared that the PCB had a damage to a chip of power charging controller (as I think) and to some kind of choke-coil.
    Could somebody help me to identify this parts of PCB to find appropriate substitutions?
    I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!
    Thank You in advance[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S. Can somebody make and share a hi-res photo of this part of PCB?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  12. musickid
    Load the images again using upload a file bottom right of screen then maybe someone can assist you. Good luck.

bloodhound212 likes this.
  13. mathi8vadhanan
    Hi-Res tear down pics.
    http://www.soomal.com/doc/20100006169.htm

Individual pictures in slide format.
    http://eng.soomal.com/epic/10100001462.htm

14. miketlse
    We can't see your images, so no one can suggest components.
    Seriously though, if the Hugo is damaged, surely you can return it via Ebay, and get your money back.

Alternatively you could contact Chord support, and see what their advice is. The Hugo is now discontinued, but maybe they have a few leftover circuit boards.

15. WilliamLeonhart
    From what I understand Chord “locks down” a lot of their components with their proprietary code, so major modifications to the hardware is not possible. I don’t really know what’s possible and what’s not, but my friend’s Mojo had some problem with the power controller chip and there was nothing the local 3rd party repair shop could do