Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,456 of 1,671
Just got mine from above deal, sounds fantastic! Won't have to upgrade either dac or amp for a long time :). cudos to Audiosanctuary for fast handling/shipping. Had it two days after order placed, shipped to Sweden.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,457 of 1,671
That is a great deal converted to cad that’s a 3 g dac, I got 20% off at launch with a strong cad and paid 4800 all in. The new tt is 8 g cad equivalent now. I’d scoop up tt till the cows come home

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,458 of 1,671
That is a great deal converted to cad that’s a 3 g dac, I got 20% off at launch with a strong cad and paid 4800 all in. The new tt is 8 g cad equivalent now. I’d scoop up tt till the cows come home

I am still convinced the original TT is a more satisfying listen than the Hugo 2.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #1,459 of 1,671
Its the forgotten gem of chord

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,460 of 1,671
I am still convinced the original TT is a more satisfying listen than the Hugo 2.
+1.. you get the point!
if not say more :wink:

Its the forgotten gem of chord
I am so courius how many ppl will actually path through Hugo2 and comes back to Hugo 1st or Hugo TT... just quetion of time.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,461 of 1,671
+1.. you get the point!
if not say more :wink:

I am so courius how many ppl will actually path through Hugo2 and comes back to Hugo 1st or Hugo TT... just quetion of time.
while I agree, the chord followers love more and or higher numbers, taps, pulse arrays etc... the hampster wheel was the original, but progress stops for no upgrades

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,462 of 1,671
IMG_20181215_130054.jpg
Adapting to the circumstances. With the youngest taking a nap and the oldest occupying the "office" I'm relegated to the living room. Neither me or the TT complaining, music keeps flowing anyway :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,464 of 1,671
A wonderful dac that on top has a headphone output that covers all my needs. But as I got a Hugo 2 as well that does these things as well, I cannot justify owning both, even if I sure would like that :).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #1,465 of 1,671
I am on the fence pulling the trigger on buying a secondhand TT since with a little luck it can be bought for as 'little' as £1500 these days. The reason I am hesitating is that I am not sure if it would be an improvement on my current system which is a 2Qute + Questyle CMA600i. 2Qute is essentially the same FPGA chip as in the TT and I assume if you pair it with a relatively good quality neutral amp like my 600i you get a very similar sound.

I really like my current setup and I am a big fan of Chord DACs. I definitely couldn't spend more than £2000 for my system so the TT2 is way out of reach for now. Swapping my 2Qute for Qutest wouldn't bring a huge improvement according to other forum members, definitely not for £700 more compared to my secondhand 2Qute's price.

I reviewed Hugo 2, so I pretty much know what to expect there. It does sound phenomenal, but with the amount of details it is not very relaxing for long term listening. I heard the TT is more pleasing in this regard. Also the Hugo2 is not the most comfortable for desktop use with those small USB-B sockets.

Question: Would the TT bring much improvement over my 2Qute+CMA600i to justify swapping them? Since on the market they are pretty much worth the same these days. TT would definitely be a more pleasing solution visually, but does the trouble of selling/buying worth the potential sonic improvement?

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,466 of 1,671
I am on the fence pulling the trigger on buying a secondhand TT since with a little luck it can be bought for as 'little' as £1500 these days. The reason I am hesitating is that I am not sure if it would be an improvement on my current system which is a 2Qute + Questyle CMA600i. 2Qute is essentially the same FPGA chip as in the TT and I assume if you pair it with a relatively good quality neutral amp like my 600i you get a very similar sound.

I really like my current setup and I am a big fan of Chord DACs. I definitely couldn't spend more than £2000 for my system so the TT2 is way out of reach for now. Swapping my 2Qute for Qutest wouldn't bring a huge improvement according to other forum members, definitely not for £700 more compared to my secondhand 2Qute's price.

I reviewed Hugo 2, so I pretty much know what to expect there. It does sound phenomenal, but with the amount of details it is not very relaxing for long term listening. I heard the TT is more pleasing in this regard. Also the Hugo2 is not the most comfortable for desktop use with those small USB-B sockets.

Question: Would the TT bring much improvement over my 2Qute+CMA600i to justify swapping them? Since on the market they are pretty much worth the same these days. TT would definitely be a more pleasing solution visually, but does the trouble of selling/buying worth the potential sonic improvement?

Switching from the 2Qute to TT you should hear a wider and taller sound stage, more body in vocals and instruments, and slightly more lower level details. Whether this improvement is worth it is completely subjective. The sound signature will also lean to the richer/ darker side.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,467 of 1,671
Switching from the 2Qute to TT you should hear a wider and taller sound stage, more body in vocals and instruments, and slightly more lower level details. Whether this improvement is worth it is completely subjective. The sound signature will also lean to the richer/ darker side.
The thing is it is not just from 2Qute to TT as with 2Qute you need an amp and that amp has a great influence on sound too. I'd use the TT as a standalone headphone amp. I don't mind richer and darker, that is actually my preferred sound. The question is if TT alone will sound richer/superior than 2Qute paired with a relatively good amp from the £500-1200 price range?

As I said, I quite like the 2Qute with the 600i, the only thing I would change is a little more low-end refinement and authority, and perhaps a tad smoother treble. The TT very much sounds like I might get that.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #1,468 of 1,671
The thing is it is not just from 2Qute to TT as with 2Qute you need an amp and that amp has a great influence on sound too. I'd use the TT as a standalone headphone amp. I don't mind richer and darker, that is actually my preferred sound. The question is if TT alone will sound richer/superior than 2Qute paired with a relatively good amp from the £500-1200 price range?

As I said, I quite like the 2Qute with the 600i, the only thing I would change is a little more low-end refinement and authority, and perhaps a tad smoother treble. The TT very much sounds like I might get that.

If you could afford it the best way to find out is to buy TT without selling your 600i and do a head to head comparison. See what you prefer. It's also entirely possible that you will prefer TT+ 600i over standalone TT.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,469 of 1,671
If you could afford it the best way to find out is to buy TT without selling your 600i and do a head to head comparison. See what you prefer. It's also entirely possible that you will prefer TT+ 600i over standalone TT.
That was my worry. This road never ends, does it? :)
I could afford to buy a TT and compare to my system keeping the one I like more, but I couldn't really afford to keep both the 600i and TT. Also, in that that case would it not be wiser to buy Qutest and keep the 600i?
I need to find out how capable/satisfying is the TT as a standalone combo instead of matching 2Qute or Qutest with a good lower summit-fi amp.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,470 of 1,671
That was my worry. This road never ends, does it? :)
I could afford to buy a TT and compare to my system keeping the one I like more, but I couldn't really afford to keep both the 600i and TT. Also, in that that case would it not be wiser to buy Qutest and keep the 600i?
I need to find out how capable/satisfying is the TT as a standalone combo instead of matching 2Qute or Qutest with a good lower summit-fi amp.

For me personally TT is plenty satisfying on its own :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back