Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,246 of 1,666
Aug 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,248 of 1,666
Im using oyaide 5s continental right now, seems fine. I hear good things about nordost valhalla usb but its difficult to find and expensive.

Aug 10, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,249 of 1,666
Others I would eventually like to try are Curious USB cable and Clarity Cables Natural USB

Those cables are fine as well, no doubt. Quite a few have had a Curious USB cable before they got a Lush USB and all impressions that I have read have favored Lush.

This quote is the latest compare between the two at Computer Audiophile:

“The Lush is a phenomenal USB cable. In my system it replaced the Curious USB cable with clear sonic benefits - more relaxed flow of music, richer sound, more meat around the bones, better bass. Not saying the Curious is bad on its own, it's not, but the Lush is well worth investing in: it's cheaper than the Curious and in my opinion - it simply delivers more. Kudos to Peter!”

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34683-usb-audio-cracked-finally/?page=55

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,250 of 1,666
How do you buy a lush cable, not that I'm shopping right now.

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #1,251 of 1,666
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #1,252 of 1,666
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #1,253 of 1,666
Thx, just curious no build composition or specs? Secrets?

Lol No, it’s all undisclosed. Peter says that it is built out of USB spec, but in which regard we don’t know. Lot of speculation on CA. I don’t care I just listen and really like how it sound - Very natural/analogue and dynamic.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,255 of 1,666
I'm adding an AQ Diamond and Peter's Lush to my list of USB cables to try.

I also want to compare an AQ Niagra 1000 power conditioner to my Audience Adept Response aR1p/CablePro NANA.I know we are going a bit off topic but I know these items improved the performance of my Chord 2Qute. In this case of the Chord Hugo TT, think a good USB cable would have bigger gains over a power conditioner because of the Chord TT's battery technology. Garbage in, garbage out. I would much rather get clean power to the rest of my system. i.e. headphone amplifier/microrRendu PSU. It all matters.

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,256 of 1,666
I don't use a power conditioner on my TT or the amp I use with it, FWIW. I am a fan of good cables though. With headphones from Audeze, Hifiman, and also the ZMF Eikon, the Norne Draug has proved to be an awesome transformative improvement using my TT and also with an EMM cdp.

The Norne cable provides sweeter highs and a general hard-to-describe sense of ease and balance and removes fatigue. The mids seem more continuous. The Norne cable just has a rightness to it.

But I will also put in a good work for the DHC OCC cable on my ZMF Atticus with the Hugo TT.
The DHC cable here had great synergy with it and has very clear bass and well defined mids and silky highs.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,257 of 1,666
My guess is there wouldn't be a benefit using a power conditioner with a TT unless its charging while playing music. Maybe EMI/RFI still gets through the circuit and you would still benefit with a conditioner. Another test.

With Naim equipment, they say you get better performance when you plug their equipment directly into the wall. I noticed bass was bigger, more controlled/articulated. I think with Naim's integrated amps, it lost something in the mid-range and highs though when going directly into the wall. Best was when I went separates and used the pre/dac off the conditioner and the amp directly into the wall. Maybe this is a case where a USB REGEN gives you the best of both worlds when running a headphone amplifier directly from the wall. Want more bass, trying losing the power conditioner. Maybe the future is straight up headphone amplifiers with no pre/volume control that plug directly into the wall and a preamp with volume control that go through a conditioner. Then you better have a dedicated circuit for that amp too.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #1,258 of 1,666

A Lush arrives here tomorrow. I will compare it to the Uptone Audio USPCB.

The USPCB itself improved sound quality quite a bit. I find it hard to believe that inserting a cable could actually improve the sound over essentially no cable, but I shall soon hear for myself.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,259 of 1,666

The USPCB itself improved sound quality quite a bit. I find it hard to believe that inserting a cable could actually improve the sound over essentially no cable, but I shall soon hear for myself.

I think the issue with digital cables is not so much the digital signal which they all transfer pretty much OK but the RF and other noise that they either pick up, transmit or filter / reject. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Make sure you engage your expectation bias filter though!

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #1,260 of 1,666

I was waiting for Uptone Audio to start sell the USPCB separately then got words of the Lush USB. The USPCB has improved sound quality quite dramatically according to many that has tried it against many of the best USB cables on the market. As I’m sure you have read Lush seems to be an even “better” sounding cable than the USPCB even if the improvement maybe is not a night and day as for people like me that had an JCAT/WW USB cable. The amount of people that has tried it still limited thou.

Let us know how it sound after a couple of days of constant playing. To me it sound great after like 30 hour and maybe a little better after 50 hour. After that no real change in SQ that I have noticed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back