Chord Hugo 2 desktop alternative
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

doraymon

1000+ Head-Fier
I am a Hugo owner looking for possible upgrades.
I like the idea of moving to Hugo 2 but I use it as a desktop DAC and its layout just kills me!
With my actual Hugo I have cables everywhere, crossing one another and together crossing my headphone amp connections.

Can anyone suggest a few alternatives to stay in the Hugo 2 league (SQ wise) but with a more desktop friendly solution?

Budget around $2,500.

My setup:
Mac Mini as Roon Server --> sMS-200 (network player) --> tX-USBultra (USB decrapifier) --> Hugo --> Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 --> Ether C Flow.

Thanks!
-----------------

List of suggestions:

Denafrips Pontus
Schiit Yggdrasil
PS Audio Directstream Junior
Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 47
Interested in other's opinions myself. Denafrips Pontus should fit the bill.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 47
many give high praise to PS Audio direct stream dac JR with bridge...or even the SR if found used.
Yes interesting, but that's $4k!
If that's what I have to pay to get similar SQ of the Hugo 2 I'm going to live with the cables hassle and stick to the Hugo 2

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 47
My Hugo2 review as part of the Canadian Tour will focus on it's use as a desktop DAC driving loudspeakers. I have several comparable DACs lined up and all my comments are pertinent to your concerns. Should be posted by the end of September. Stay tuned!
Dan
I will!

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 47
Personally I love the Hugo 2, but in your list, the Kitsune L3 Holo Spring DAC would get my vote...and funny enough, mine is for sale. :p The only reason I'm selling it is to help subsidize my new Chord DAVE.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 47
I'm not sure I understand Chord strategy not having a Hugo 2 TT.
Nor a 2Qute 2 (or 4Qute?).

No table top DAC of the second generation, so to say. And a big gap between the Hugo 2 and Dave.

I would have been happy also only with a kind of Docking Station for the Hugo 2 in order to rearrange the cable routing making it more table top or rack friendly...

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 47
I am a Hugo owner looking for possible upgrades.
I like the idea of moving to Hugo 2 but I use it as a desktop DAC and its layout just kills me!
With my actual Hugo I have cables everywhere, crossing one another and together crossing my headphone amp connections.

Can anyone suggest a few alternatives to stay in the Hugo 2 league (SQ wise) but with a more desktop friendly solution?

Budget around $2,500.

My setup:
Mac Mini as Roon Server --> sMS-200 (network player) --> tX-USBultra (USB decrapifier) --> Hugo --> Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 --> Ether C Flow.

Thanks!
-----------------

List of suggestions:

Denafrips Pontus
Schiit Yggdrasil
PS Audio Directstream Junior
Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
I use the Marantz HD-DAC1. I love it in every conceivable way. It is sits on my desktop.
It is also a looker. Built like a tank.

$799. Save your self a ton of dollars/euros.

It is bigger than the Hugo for sure. The only caveat..it does run a bit warm, but has an auto stand by function.
HD-DAC1_front_L.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back