Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 25, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #6,031 of 6,736
Question... I purchased the Qutest to listen through headphones but was not aware that it was a Dac with no volume of it's own. What set up is the best way to listen through headphones? The amps I use are the Wells Audio Milo and the Phonitor X.
Oops.

There's no best way, as such, you simply connect to an amp of your taste/preference (or budget). Qutest is clean enough to get along with most amps.

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #6,040 of 6,736
I don’t see it in the manual.
1650888214421.png

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #6,043 of 6,736
I see it now. Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
Exercise some care with the voltage selections. Be sure your amp can handle what you select. For example, Chord Anni can only handle up to 2 volts. From experience, absent a software volume control, I can say some headphone amps are a handful with Qutest, unless you use a pre amp. Going low with 1 volt will cost sound quality. As always, YMMV. I have been having good results with Audirvana Origin lately. Using it with Qutest/Anni/Stellia combination today.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #6,044 of 6,736
Question... I purchased the Qutest to listen through headphones but was not aware that it was a Dac with no volume of it's own. What set up is the best way to listen through headphones? The amps I use are the Wells Audio Milo and the Phonitor X.

I used to own the Phonitor X and paired it with the qutest. It's a great combination.

With either the Milo or the Phonitor X run your RCA outs from the qutest to the RCA ins on your amp. Experiment with qutest output voltages on 1,2 or 3 volts to find which pairs best with respective amp. I don't recall what output voltage I used with qutest when I owned Phonitor X. I believe it was 2 volts. Of course with Phonitor X you have alot of possible customizations due to all the DIP switches that adjust gain and whatnot.

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #6,045 of 6,736
I used to own the Phonitor X and paired it with the qutest. It's a great combination.

With either the Milo or the Phonitor X run your RCA outs from the qutest to the RCA ins on your amp. Experiment with qutest output voltages on 1,2 or 3 volts to find which pairs best with respective amp. I don't recall what output voltage I used with qutest when I owned Phonitor X. I believe it was 2 volts. Of course with Phonitor X you have alot of possible customizations due to all the DIP switches that adjust gain and whatnot.
Noted

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back