Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #6,019 of 6,736
It seems like the shorter ones aren't as common. You could always put an order in with Moon Audio. They do custom lengths, any size you want.
Many thanks, just ordered a few cables from Moon Audio in fact but they've already shipped, otherwise I would have added to the load. Good suggestion, though.

In any case, I ordered these https://www.akustik-projekt.at/kabel/cinch-rca/2163/pro-ject-connect-it-rca-si-20-5cm

Length is good, specs are good. Let's see how they sound.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #6,020 of 6,736
Many thanks, just ordered a few cables from Moon Audio in fact but they've already shipped, otherwise I would have added to the load. Good suggestion, though.

In any case, I ordered these https://www.akustik-projekt.at/kabel/cinch-rca/2163/pro-ject-connect-it-rca-si-20-5cm

Length is good, specs are good. Let's see how they sound.
For anyone interested/cares, these short RCA interconnects work very well and sound good....I recommend:

20220406_201835.JPG

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #6,021 of 6,736
For anyone interested/cares, these short RCA interconnects work very well and sound good....I recommend:

20220406_201835.JPG
Those look neat👌
I have the same theory: Cable length thats not there cant degrade anything.
Thats why my interconnects and my HP cable are short too.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #6,022 of 6,736
I am curious what experiences people have with toggling the output voltage? I have settled on 3V, which for my system seems to push up the details and "sharpen" the edges just a bit. I tend to like that over "smooth"....but not to any extremes and not in all frequencies. I tend to run the Green filter, for example.

My Burson amp allows for different levels of crossfeed, which I did not use prior to the Qutest, but with it I set my crossfeed on "low". I really like the balance that brings to stage.

Ultimately I feel like I am playing ping pong a bit with SQ attributes. Bouncing up and down around a desired sound signature. The good news is the Qutest helps me get there!

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #6,023 of 6,736
I am curious what experiences people have with toggling the output voltage? I have settled on 3V, which for my system seems to push up the details and "sharpen" the edges just a bit. I tend to like that over "smooth"....but not to any extremes and not in all frequencies. I tend to run the Green filter, for example.

My Burson amp allows for different levels of crossfeed, which I did not use prior to the Qutest, but with it I set my crossfeed on "low". I really like the balance that brings to stage.

Ultimately I feel like I am playing ping pong a bit with SQ attributes. Bouncing up and down around a desired sound signature. The good news is the Qutest helps me get there!
I'm currently running mine on 3V, tried the others. My Pathos Inpol Ear has a maximum input of 4V so I'm not running it too hot.
Not bothered with the filters yet as I'm running in both the headphones and some new valves.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #6,024 of 6,736
Are there any RCA splitters available, such that I can run two amps from the Qutest without having to change cables each time? I have tried both the Audioquest hard splitter and now the ViaBlue variant. Both don't work (ViaBlue doesn't even fit)...

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #6,026 of 6,736
I have a power supply question. If I connected a Qutest to a 5V/4A linear power supply, whould that harm the unit? I think the Qutest is spec’d for a 5V/2A draw. So would 4A be too hot? Or is it simply overhead that really won’t be used, so it won’t be a problem? I was under the impression that so long as the DC voltage is correctly matched and amps are “enough”…that more than enough A is not a problem.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #6,027 of 6,736
I have a power supply question. If I connected a Qutest to a 5V/4A linear power supply, whould that harm the unit? I think the Qutest is spec’d for a 5V/2A draw. So would 4A be too hot? Or is it simply overhead that really won’t be used, so it won’t be a problem? I was under the impression that so long as the DC voltage is correctly matched and amps are “enough”…that more than enough A is not a problem.
Correct, you need to match the voltage and amperage can be higher.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #6,028 of 6,736

You are correct. The unit will only use the amps it requires.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #6,029 of 6,736

No worries.
Qutest will draw about 1A on 5V.
The stock PSU is also rated with overhead.

Apr 25, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #6,030 of 6,736
Question... I purchased the Qutest to listen through headphones but was not aware that it was a Dac with no volume of it's own. What set up is the best way to listen through headphones? The amps I use are the Wells Audio Milo and the Phonitor X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back