Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #5,326 of 6,736
I looked at the specifications and it has a heading "Max input voltage" but it does not specify a voltage.
Your ears will tell you... If 3v does not clip, it is the way to go.

Thanks for looking into it for me...glad I wasn't just looking in the wrong place!

The user manuals for amplifiers are often vague or completely blank, regarding the topic of input voltage sensitivity.
If that is the case for your amp, then the best approach/logic to follow is:
  • The introduction of CD players, resulted in the de-facto standard for amplifier input sensitivity becoming 2V
  • If your Qutest set at 2V, but still produces input clipping in your amplifier, then try 1V.
This involves an element of trial and error, but will be worth it, for the end result.

Fantastic...thanks so much for this reply...I will start at 2V and go from there.
I really appreciate your help!

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #5,328 of 6,736
I though in general the lowest V setting, that still gives you good volume range, is the quietest? I could be wrong or just misread your answer?
Signal to noise ratio will be best on the highest input that does not cause clipping.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #5,329 of 6,736
How do you like this setup? I'm having a hard time trying to find which amp to pair this with. I'm getting a 789 to tide me over but I can't find anything around the <$2k market thats worth it given limited desk space. I have a separate audio rack but its taking too much space in my room hence why the Qutest would fit perfect. A single solution like the WA6 would work well.
Bakoon HPA-01 - $1795

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5,330 of 6,736
With a passive preamplifier (Khozmo) I use 3v to give it a kick up the arse. With an active preamp (liquid spark) I use the regulation 2v. And when I do direct for Qutest into power amps, I use 1v in order that I can keep the computer music player (foobar in Windows) or HQPlayer (in Linux) at the highest possible volume level (minimum attenuation), thus maintains the closest to bit perfect as possible.

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,331 of 6,736
hikaru12, in a short period of time since I posted that comment, I’ve traded the Qutest for a TT2, the Grado 3000e’s for some Focal Utopias, the AQ Earth RCA’s for Earth XLR’s, and upgraded my amp from the WA6 to a Woo WA22. This hobby is sneaky that way. 😆 For a desktop system I can’t think of a better pairing than a Chord Qutest dac and the Woo WA6 hp amplifier as a great place to start.

Haha I know what you mean. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve had to change my signature either. Thanks for your input.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #5,332 of 6,736
It's a huge thread and I haven't read much of it yet but I can't resist from asking my question.
How do Qutest and RME ADI-2 DAC FS compare as DACs?
Are there any comparisons in this thread?
(Yes I've seen the Darko review 🙂 )

Thanks!!!

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #5,334 of 6,736
It's a huge thread and I haven't read much of it yet but I can't resist from asking my question.
How do Qutest and RME ADI-2 DAC FS compare as DACs?
Are there any comparisons in this thread?
(Yes I've seen the Darko review 🙂 )

Thanks!!!

I will hopefully be able to shed some light in this in a couple days. My RME arrived on Friday and my Qutest arrives tomorrow fingers crossed:)

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #5,338 of 6,736
Unless you need the headphone port, the Qutest is the better DAC. I don't care what Darko said. .... I don't understand how you're going to get a better DAC with an off the shelf chip. Vs a Chord DAC.

The fact that Darko said Qutest soundstage depth Qutest is illusionary. I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean. It sounds like he doesn't understand some of the basics. Considering his kit, I don't understand where he's at.

He did another video that struck me as odd on a couple of points. His vid about 10 things from 2020 I think it was. Or 10 things about audio equipment.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #5,340 of 6,736
Too many comparisons out there already, you need to sort the reviewer based on their opinions of various equipment reviews and how well they match your own experiences, for instance if you read a headphone comparison and personally prefer the exact opposite to the reviewer then why read a DAC or any other component from the same reviewer, nobody is right or wrong, just different opinions,
in the end nothing beats hearing something for yourself, if you prefer A over B then fine, that’s your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back