Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,261 of 6,736
I've followed the general consensus on here and switched over from usb to optical input on my Qutest. I bought a QED glass cable thinking I could take advantage of the 192KHz capabilities. I am shocked to discover that despite my computer being able to transmit a 192KHz file, Qutest's optical input maxes out at 96KHz. Even Dave has the same limitation but TT² can manage 192KHz that matches the cable. I'm disappointed.

I'm running Qutest optical connection 24bit 192Khz without a problem with sysconcept.ca cable and mac mini late 2014.

Chord Qutest manual also says that it is capable 24bit 192Khz or DSD64 via Optical. Check you cable or pc/transport....

upload_2019-9-27_23-8-50.png

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #4,262 of 6,736
I'm running Qutest optical connection 24bit 192Khz without a problem with sysconcept.ca cable and mac mini late 2014.

Chord Qutest manual also says that it is capable 24bit 192Khz or DSD64 via Optical. Check you cable or pc/transport....

That's interesting. I didn't check the card that came with the unit, I checked online here on the features tab which states maximum input on the green optical input as 24/96 https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qutest/
However, further down the page, there is an icon depicting optical input at 192KHz. I have contacted Chord to seek clarification.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,263 of 6,736
I've followed the general consensus on here and switched over from usb to optical input on my Qutest. I bought a QED glass cable thinking I could take advantage of the 192KHz capabilities. I am shocked to discover that despite my computer being able to transmit a 192KHz file, Qutest's optical input maxes out at 96KHz. Even Dave has the same limitation but TT² can manage 192KHz that matches the cable. I'm disappointed.

As folk have said, it might be your cable. The same happened in the Mojo thread. Folk had to buy a cable that could pass 192KHz.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #4,264 of 6,736
Screenshot_20190927-224404.png
As folk have said, it might be your cable. The same happened in the Mojo thread. Folk had to buy a cable that could pass 192KHz.
That was my initial thought too as the cable is QED Reference Optical Quartz which is specified at 192KHz. I have started a returns procedure with QED but they asked me to check with the manufacturers of the equipment at each end of their cable and it is Chord that is causing doubt due to the apparent contradiction of specs on their website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190927-224426.png
    Screenshot_20190927-224426.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,266 of 6,736

That was my initial thought too as the cable is QED Reference Optical Quartz which is specified at 192KHz. I have started a returns procedure with QED but they asked me to check with the manufacturers of the equipment at each end of their cable and it is Chord that is causing doubt due to the apparent contradiction of specs on their website.

Well, on the Mojo thread it was a case that some folk had cheap optical cables. All this happened ages ago - years. Then after buying a quality optical cable all was fixed.

However, I just checked my Qutest and a 192KHz file for you. I am playing Qutest now with an optical cable that I bought from Amazon for about £5. It's running 192KHz perfectly.

Another suggestion would be check your playback file source, and the software running music. Sometimes output an output channel is capped on the device.

I once could not understand why my music always played at 44.1KHz, and found a setting in my music player. Then another time I got a blue light (192KHz) on my DAC not matter what. It was a Windows setting that fixed that.

It seems your cable is good to go.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4,267 of 6,736
Well, on the Mojo thread it was a case that some folk had cheap optical cables. All this happened ages ago - years. Then after buying a quality optical cable all was fixed.

However, I just checked my Qutest and a 192KHz file for you. I am playing Qutest now with an optical cable that I bought from Amazon for about £5. It's running 192KHz perfectly.

Another suggestion would be check your playback source. Sometimes output an output channel is capped at on the device.

It seems your cable is good to go.
I'm using the Topping D10 as a USB to optical interface and the topping is good to go at 192KHz per its website:
Screenshot_20190927-224517.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190927-224533.png
    Screenshot_20190927-224533.png
    493 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4,268 of 6,736
Sorry but I don't know that device. I would take it out of the chain until you can determine if the Qutest is performing right with your cable. I would go straight from file-source to Qutest via optical if your file source can do that. (Like if you are using a laptop with an optical output.)

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,270 of 6,736
Sorry but I don't know that device. I would take it out of the chain until you can determine if the Qutest is performing right with your cable. I would go straight from file-source to Qutest via optical if your file source can do that. (Like if you are using a laptop with an optical output.)
I get the same result with my ASUS Xonar SE soundcard which also has 192KHz capability.
I use Foobar 2000 Wasapi push which doesn't require me to specify a frequency I think?
I would be 100% convinced that the cable is faulty if I could be 100% sure of the Qutest's specs. My only doubt with Qutest is the apparent conflict on Chord's own website. I really appreciate your help in trying to resolve this issue for me.

Sep 27, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #4,271 of 6,736
I would definitely check Foobar settings. Like once I found that the default setting for JRiver set everything to 44.1KHz. I had to change that to 'no change' for files of different sampling frequencies.

I am telling you the truth that the Qutest plays 192KHz. However if you are still sceptical, then you will have to wait for other people to confirm it for you.

I have taken a photo of Qutest playing 192KHz with the blue sampling frequency light. However my camera is old and not brilliant. (I know, I need a new one. Just choosing does my head in.) You can still just see the sampling frequency light is blue though. Photo taken in low light, otherwise flash would kill the blue light. Plus the input is green for optical, (as well as the voltage output at 2V green).

DSC05746.JPG

You should tell Chord about the wrong information on the website. I am sure they would assure you of the specs of the Qutest. Also they would be grateful for your notifying them of the wrong data on their website.

It's also obvious that the Qutest does 192KHz on optical, because it has the same DAC parts as the Hugo 2.

I don't know why, but it's very difficult to capture the blue light with my old camera. This photo shows the blue light reflected in the port glass.

DSC05747.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #4,272 of 6,736
I would definitely check Foobar settings. Like once I found that the default setting for JRiver set everything to 44.1KHz. I had to change that to 'no change' for files of different sampling frequencies.

I am telling you the truth that the Qutest plays 192KHz, However if you are still sceptical, then you will have to wait for other people to confirm it for you.

I have taken a photo of Qutest playing 192KHz with the blue sampling frequency light. However my camera is old and not brilliant. (I know, I need a new one. Just choosing does my head in.) You can still just see the sampling frequency light is blue though. Photo taken in low light, otherwise flash would kill the blue light. Plus the input is green for optical, (as well as the voltage output at 2V green).

You should tell Chord about the wrong information on the website. I am sure they would assure you of the specs of the Qutest. Also they would be grateful for your notifying them of the wrong data on their website.

It's also obvious that the Qutest does 192KHz on optical, because it has the same DAC parts as the Hugo 2.

I don't know why, but it's very difficult to capture the blue light with my old camera. This photo shows the blue light reflected in the port glass.

Thanks for this information.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #4,274 of 6,736
I may be looking for a solution to a problem that I may not have. I am scheduled to receive my Qutest, Monday.

I have done a search on this forum and didn't see any posts about the iFi iPower 5 volt DC PS as a good $50 option. John Darko mentioned it in his Qutest review.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #4,275 of 6,736
I may be looking for a solution to a problem that I may not have. I am scheduled to receive my Qutest, Monday.

I have done a search on this forum and didn't see any posts about the iFi iPower 5 volt DC PS as a good $50 option. John Darko mentioned it in his Qutest review.

I have compared the stock with poweradd 2 power bank, no different to me.

Till now,almost a year, still using the stock.

Maybe I will try 485w power banks for both the Qutest and HMS one15696532267164437939416734669059.jpg of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back