Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #4,171 of 6,705
I've been reading this forum for a very long time, long before making my account. While searching for answers in this hobby I've found a thread here where a head-fier was comparing some headphone amps with audio samples. Between those amps there was a Mojo too.

After listening to those samples I knew right away that I did audio wrong until then. And so it began. I got a Mojo right away. And was very happy with it. A few months passed by and I got the itch to audition the Hugo 2. And what a revelation that was. I couldn't get back to Mojo. So Hugo 2 gave me months of audio happiness.

Naturally I had to listen to DAVE to see what I'm missing, and oh boy it was a LOT. After months and months of savings finally was able to buy DAVE. And lets just say I really couldn't want more. Sure a good power cable made a difference, but was happy.

Unfortunately, after having some personal problems, I had to sell the DAVE. And that was my biggest mistake in this hobby ever. After things settled down, I even spoke to the person I had sold it to and made him a better offer and he refused to give it back to me.

Got the Qutest, and I can't really say anything bad about it, its amazing, but I mainly listen to music via headphones, and a lot is lost between the DAC and amp/interconnects. And here is where the Chord magic is, fewer parts between DAC- headphones that degrade sound.

As a Chord customer I want something and I voice it on this forum. Its a discussion not an argument. I'm not saying anything bad about any Chord products I've had. All gave me happiness. But everyone has their moments in life, and today you want a portable device, tomorrow you upgrade to a TT2, who knows. At the moment I'm not using anything Chord since a product that fits my needs today doesn't exist.

If it makes sense or not to add another product to their range that's for them to decide, we as customers can only hope a new product ticks our boxes and we decide to acquire it or not.

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,172 of 6,705
A very nice story you have there. In my case, Chord does not make tube amplifiers so Qutest was the only thing I needed: the DAC. Of course, TT2 or Dave are for sure much better but yes, I am not affording Dave and also the costs involved in amplifier part. And the ability to roll some interconnects might be fun, sometimes.

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,179 of 6,705
Has anyone tried a Audioquest Jitterbug on Qutest? was there any good effect?
Worst thing ever. Some delusional folks will say that rolled of top end is result of redused emi, but it is because of added resistance. If you want reduced resolution go ahead, but i would suggest better buy decent usb cable or Usb decrapifier.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,180 of 6,705
Jitterbugs suck and as noted by @Arniesb they roll off the top end. Try two at a time as suggested by Audioquest and you can double your misery. I suppose if your system is bright/harsh sounding, they may serve as a band-aid.

IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,181 of 6,705
The Output impedance of qutest is 0.025Ω.

Does this means that it can drive earphone directly?

I have apple ipid earphone and my source has digital volume control

TIA
I ran my HD650s direct for a while using volume control on software, no issues at all, but watch to voltage - start at 1V. You get more transparency without amp, but in the end I went back to amp for convenience.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,182 of 6,705
What kind of amps are you all using with Qutest ?

I'm thinking of getting a few things, one potential item is an amp for TT2, but I'm not 100% sure yet, but what are you all using with your Qutests ?

Cheers

My Qutest is used in my desktop system in my office at work. I am using it with an Aesthetix Calypso preamp and Blue Circle BC-28 power amp to Scansonic monitor speakers. It is bueno!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,183 of 6,705
My BIGGEST complaint with the Qutest, having nothing to do with sound quality, is that flimsy micro USB jack for power input. It's a piece of junk, and it does not even require a fall to go bad and become intermittent. If Chord is listening, please replace it with something more reliable :triportsad:
never had any issues at all with the PSUs micro USB connection..

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,184 of 6,705
Jitterbugs suck and as noted by @Arniesb they roll off the top end. Try two at a time a double your misery. I suppose if your system is bright/harsh sounding, they may serve as a band-aid.

IMHO of course.
I gave up on all the USB cleaners, no negatives I found, just no point them being there. They do work with lesser DACs, but Chord's don't benefit as so well designed in the first place.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #4,185 of 6,705
So sad that we don't have a true desktop DAC/amp for headphones. I'm sure most of us started with Mojo and went with Hugo 2 after, but they bring a lot of negatives, like wanting to listen more and seeing battery is getting low, charging and getting too hot, etc. The next option is Hugo TT2, but it has a new chip, extra power, more suited for a high end device. Nothing in between. Qutest is great, BUT it needs a great headphone amp and interconnects.

Wish there was a simple device, a Qutest with headphone out and a remote. No bluetooth, no batteries, no extra features. Keep it simple. Call it QuteTT maybe, price it between Qutest and Hugo 2. I would buy it right away, and I'm sure a lot more would.
So a just Hugo2 without batteries, not sure there's much to gain there, Hugo2 can run on power plug fine and folk will still want to buy a better amps.. TT2 is more expensive, but amp stage is so good there's no need for the additional cost of amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back