Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #4,156 of 6,736
The micro usb socket is used by millions of people worldwide everyday, they're plugged and Unplugged multiple times per day. If it were such a poor connectivity option phone manufactures would have gone out of business. Are we complaining for the sake of complaining?

I've personally used at least 4 phones in the last 8 years, probably plugged and Unplugged them at least 12000 times, not once have I had a failure!

For me it's convenient, it's essentially set and forget.

Enjoy the music..... Stop worrying about the the little things.

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #4,158 of 6,736
About the micro USB power socket - it seems that Chord have realized that it is not such a brilliant solution. The new phone stage Huei, which uses exactly the same body, like the Qutest, has got a power jack socket and a power switch, which I find excellent, both of them.
I really hope that next Qutest Neo or whatever the name, will look the same (including the XLR outputs :)).

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #4,159 of 6,736
About the micro USB power socket - it seems that Chord have realized that it is not such a brilliant solution. The new phone stage Huei, which uses exactly the same body, like the Qutest, has got a power jack socket and a power switch, which I find excellent, both of them.
I really hope that next Qutest Neo or whatever the name, will look the same (including the XLR outputs :)).

Great news! Huei does seem to use the same chassis as Qutest, and I can't imagine the next Qutest version would not have the same power jack improvements. Having a power switch would be nice, too.

Huei.jpg

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #4,160 of 6,736

Downside is you'd have to use a wall wart specific to the unit. Right now you can use any microUSB 5V power supply.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #4,161 of 6,736
Downside is you'd have to use a wall wart specific to the unit. Right now you can use any microUSB 5V power supply.

What any industry standard 2.1mm DC barrel plug, as opposed to an Android phone charger?

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #4,162 of 6,736
What any industry standard 2.1mm DC barrel plug, as opposed to an Android phone charger?

The other end. Right now you can use a multitude of 5v chargers/batteries depending on your setup.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #4,166 of 6,736
Yes but you will need to use digital volume control.

Thanks for the info! Have to make sure before I burnt the output stage of the Qutest! :wink: Btw, the input impedance of my apple earphones is 32 ohms.

Yes, my TV set up has a digital volume control. I just bought a Toslink to connect between the HMS and TV set up box.

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #4,167 of 6,736
The Output impedance of qutest is 0.025Ω.

Does this means that it can drive earphone directly?

So sad that we don't have a true desktop DAC/amp for headphones. I'm sure most of us started with Mojo and went with Hugo 2 after, but they bring a lot of negatives, like wanting to listen more and seeing battery is getting low, charging and getting too hot, etc. The next option is Hugo TT2, but it has a new chip, extra power, more suited for a high end device. Nothing in between. Qutest is great, BUT it needs a great headphone amp and interconnects.

Wish there was a simple device, a Qutest with headphone out and a remote. No bluetooth, no batteries, no extra features. Keep it simple. Call it QuteTT maybe, price it between Qutest and Hugo 2. I would buy it right away, and I'm sure a lot more would.

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #4,168 of 6,736
So sad that we don't have a true desktop DAC/amp for headphones. I'm sure most of us started with Mojo and went with Hugo 2 after, but they bring a lot of negatives, like wanting to listen more and seeing battery is getting low, charging and getting too hot, etc. The next option is Hugo TT2, but it has a new chip, extra power, more suited for a high end device. Nothing in between. Qutest is great, BUT it needs a great headphone amp and interconnects.

Wish there was a simple device, a Qutest with headphone out and a remote. No bluetooth, no batteries, no extra features. Keep it simple. Call it QuteTT maybe, price it between Qutest and Hugo 2. I would buy it right away, and I'm sure a lot more would.

TBH I have no idea what your complaint is about, the Hugo 2 is perfect. I'm asuming the headphone amp will be fixed, I've had the original Hugo for five years and it has never gotten hot and I always leave it powered on. If I could justify buyiing the Hugo 2 I would in a heart beat!!!

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #4,169 of 6,736
TBH I have no idea what your complaint is about, the Hugo 2 is perfect. I'm asuming the headphone amp will be fixed, I've had the original Hugo for five years and it has never gotten hot and I always leave it powered on. If I could justify buyiing the Hugo 2 I would in a heart beat!!!

I really have no complaints, I have owned both Mojo and Hugo 2, and while great devices, for both home and away use, at some point batteries will fail, and when that does happen an extra cost is added. I'm saying that now, for me, I'm looking for a plug and forget option, and the cheapest one is a TT2, that has a lot of features I don't really need. Sure DAC part is far superior to Qutest, but you have to start somewhere, and later, if I feel like it I can upgrade to a TT2.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #4,170 of 6,736
I really have no complaints, I have owned both Mojo and Hugo 2, and while great devices, for both home and away use, at some point batteries will fail, and when that does happen an extra cost is added. I'm saying that now, for me, I'm looking for a plug and forget option, and the cheapest one is a TT2, that has a lot of features I don't really need. Sure DAC part is far superior to Qutest, but you have to start somewhere, and later, if I feel like it I can upgrade to a TT2.

I would consider the Qutest the starting point for a desktop DAC before the TT2
If u are looking for a headphone amp with a DAC, what exactly is wrong with a Hugo2?

Think about it, Chord has the Mojo and Hugo2 for the portable crowd; while there are Qutest, TT2 and Dave for the desktop crowd.
Each of these 5 products cater to users at different price points

For a company the size of Chord, it does not make any business sense to have 4 DAC for the desktop segment
3 is the sweet spot; entry, mid-range and flagship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back