Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #3,962 of 6,705
You might find the answer in this article, https://kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm

Ive changed around the connection today in my system. Took out the wifi/bluetooth module and put more sp ers on the other side of logic board.

Then from the main fiber optic model, ive changed the generic ethernet cable with a cat7 cable w 4 separated lines design connected to the airport extreme. Then from the airport extreme using the same cat7 cable direct to my 2010 mbp, mini toslink - toslink lifatec glass cable to qutest. It seems like there is more air in the sound, but ive also notice its not as black? Maybe its the noise?

Im thinking about changing the setup next time to: airport extreme via ethernet to mbp. Then mbp output set to “airplay”’to another airport extreme in my audio room, then from that airport extreme to qutest via its mini toslink output to qutest. Will post how it turns out. I will be adding another grounding box line to my mbp’s usb input. Currently installed 2 bnc grounding lines on the qutest and it really reduced the noise in the sound by a mile. (Also installed sp ers inside the top/bottom cover of qutest)

Why go through the effort of physically taking out the WiFi/Bluetooth chip when one could simply just turn it off in settings?

Jun 11, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #3,963 of 6,705
Also regarding the lifeatec and hearing more air, I once thought that too. Eventually the sound become brittle and harsh and that’s when I noticed the connector was not fully inserted. You should hear a click when it’s fully inserted.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,964 of 6,705
Why go through the effort of physically taking out the WiFi/Bluetooth chip when one could simply just turn it off in settings?

So i can isolate things i dont use, and also the connectors. From what ive learned there are a lot of power switchings inside the mbp for the components. So tryin to eliminate as much unused components as possible and covered up/plugged off those connections.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #3,966 of 6,705
F80ED956-8EFD-43D5-8FAE-49123D0C21C6.jpeg

No more direct lan connection from airport extreme to mbp. So wifi from airport extreme to the room via an airport express (floating ground + connected to the active grounding unit via it’s 3.5mm jack) —> lan to mbp. Major improvement in reducing noise from its internal switching psu and disconnecting from lan grounding from the router. Will move one of the bnc line from one off qutest’s bnc input to the mbp second usb input. Also will be adding more active grounding box line to the airport express’ usb input. Mpb’s bigger logic board compared to qutest (more noise creation). But very happy with the sound now.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #3,968 of 6,705
So,did anybody compared Lifatec optical cable vs another decent one??

Hugo2 user here. I come in peace.

I ordered the Lifatec Plastic (POF) for future experiments, but ended up preferring it over the glass for some reason. It's not worth it to return the glass, but if my glass gives out; going with the POF going forward. It plays 24/192 and 1-bit just fine.

But my use case is portable... so YMMV. Hoping it's just a case of needing more brain burn-in with the glass...

toslink_pof_con.JPG

My build:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yet...alternative-to-2go-poly.905925/#post-15004881

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #3,970 of 6,705
Hugo2 user here. I come in peace.

I ordered the Lifatec Plastic (POF) for future experiments, but ended up preferring it over the glass for some reason. It's not worth it to return the glass, but if my glass gives out; going with the POF going forward. It plays 24/192 and 1-bit just fine.

But my use case is portable... so YMMV. Hoping it's just a case of needing more brain burn-in with the glass...

My build:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yet...alternative-to-2go-poly.905925/#post-15004881

In peace we accept you!

I use a Belkin POF,too.

Not sure about another decent one, only thing ive compared to is the EMK fiber optical which ive purchased suggested by my local audio shop. I prefer the glass lifatec, no more clicks and smoother compared to the EMK fiber.
The clicks are not a cable quality issue.It is a problematic connection.

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #3,972 of 6,705
In peace we accept you!

I use a Belkin POF,too.

The clicks are not a cable quality issue.It is a problematic connection.

Cheers! I just re-tested. Glass wins out. No graniness like with the POF. Cannot go wrong with the Lifatec glass. It's a bigger difference than my initial impressions. Taking back my statement. I prefer glass > POF.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #3,973 of 6,705
Cheers! I just re-tested. Glass wins out. No graniness like with the POF. Cannot go wrong with the Lifatec glass. It's a bigger difference than my initial impressions. Taking back my statement. I prefer glass > POF.
Is the difference worth the price?Is it noticeable easily?

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #3,974 of 6,705
Is the difference worth the price?Is it noticeable easily?

Can't speak for others, but the difference was quite noticeable to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back