Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 26, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #3,871 of 6,736
Mandatory PSU upgrade?? Rob Watts himself disagreed but ok, what a load of unsubstantiated ****.

The stock PSU is fine for all intents and purposes. You guys should ease up on the faerie dust...
Chill man!I was being sarcastic.I am using stock PSU and I am not changing my mind cause of Rob's words!

May 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #3,877 of 6,736
Thanks! Would the lack of galvanic isolation matter if I do a direct USB feed from a Sony NW-A35?
When I used the Mojo a lot, I compared the following:
  • playing music stored on phone, via a usb cable to Mojo - needed a ferrite core added to usb cable to remove the RFI beeps plus clicks etc. Still left a slight brightness to the music, but some owners do prefer that
  • playing music stored on Shanling M1, via a usb cable to Mojo - no need for a ferrite core adding to usb cable, and my preferred usb solution instead of the phone
  • playing music stored on computer, via an optical cable to Mojo - inherent galvanic isolation, and my preferred solution when possible
Your Sony probably represents a similar scenario to the Shanling M1, so the lack of galvanic isolation may not serious issue for you.

Hope this helps.

May 27, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #3,879 of 6,736
A lot of talk of optical cables recently. I certainly now prefer optical to USB, but is there really a significant difference between cheap plastic fibre and more expensive multi stranded glass? I get the difference with USB cable quality making a difference and experienced it, as essentially it's still an analogue cable transmitting rising and lowering voltages as 1 and 0s. But with optical it is a purely digital transmission of light pulses, on or off. As long as data is transmitted without error, why does cable construction matter?

May 27, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #3,880 of 6,736
A lot of talk of optical cables recently. I certainly now prefer optical to USB, but is there really a significant difference between cheap plastic fibre and more expensive multi stranded glass? I get the difference with USB cable quality making a difference and experienced it, as essentially it's still an analogue cable transmitting rising and lowering voltages as 1 and 0s. But with optical it is a purely digital transmission of light pulses, on or off. As long as data is transmitted without error, why does cable construction matter?
In theory too crappy cable could have wild fluctuations in signal interity etc.

In reality over a reasonable short run pretty much any super cheap super thin cable can do at least 24/96Khz. Only with longer runs or 24/192 the cable quality can start to matter a lot (drop-outs).

But we are all neurotic :p so yeah

May 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #3,881 of 6,736
In theory too ****ty cable could have wild fluctuations in signal interity etc.

In reality over a reasonable short run pretty much any super cheap super thin cable can do at least 24/96Khz. Only with longer runs or 24/192 the cable quality can start to matter a lot (drop-outs).

But we are all neurotic :p so yeah
Thanks. Well mine will do 24/192 no issues, so is all good.
Just that some folk say they hear differences between different toslink cables and I don't get why that should be the case.

May 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #3,882 of 6,736
Thanks. Well mine will do 24/192 no issues, so is all good.
Just that some folk say they hear differences between different toslink cables and I don't get why that should be the case.

Actually i heard the same. And specifically heard something special about the lifatec glass toslink. Mine should be reaching sometimes this week. Will let you know how much of an improvement compared to my present toslink im using.

May 27, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #3,883 of 6,736
Actually i heard the same. And specifically heard something special about the lifatec glass toslink. Mine should be reaching sometimes this week. Will let you know how much of an improvement compared to my present toslink im using.
Please do. I'm not unwilling to upgrade, but want to be confident it's worth it.

May 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #3,884 of 6,736
Please do. I'm not unwilling to upgrade, but want to be confident it's worth it.

Yes, im also on the same boat. Dont have any problem w my present toslink but Ive heard of things on the lifatec, they say the music is smoother running through the lifatec. Will do a/b comparison, i hope there is a significance jump in sound quality. Pls give me some time currently still breakin in the receptacle, amp and speaker cables.

May 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #3,885 of 6,736
Yes, im also on the same boat. Dont have any problem w my present toslink but Ive heard of things on the lifatec, they say the music is smoother running through the lifatec. Will do a/b comparison, i hope there is a significance jump in sound quality. Pls give me some time currently still breakin in the receptacle, amp and speaker cables.
Yes the lifatec is the one that keeps cropping up. Take all the time you need, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back