Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #3,857 of 6,712
I use Lifatec and its 100% stable on 24/192 and DSD over DoP (which is 24/176), I use it on RME ADI-2 DAC though playing directly from computer.

In agreement with MagnusH - I use the Lifatec as well with a Mac Mini and the Hugo2. I am able to get 24/192 and DSD64.

May 25, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #3,858 of 6,712
Just FYI, this is the correct link for USB card:
https://jcat.eu/product/usb-card-femto/

P.S. Many people spend more than 435 for some USB cables or USB filters...
Don't worry, I am fully aware that some people spend eye watering amounts on those cables and filters.
The point that I obviously failed to communicate effectively, is that I can already obtain excellent sound quality using optical output from my PC, so I shall not be rushing to spend an additional 435 euros, in an attempt to get similar performance via a usb card. If the card had cost say 25 euros, then it could have been an interesting exercise from a curiosity point of view, but not at 435 euros.

May 25, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #3,859 of 6,712
I use Lifatec and its 100% stable on 24/192 and DSD over DoP (which is 24/176), I use it on RME ADI-2 DAC though playing directly from computer.

Good to know they updated the cable. When I had mine about six years ago, it wouldn’t pass 24/192 consistently, especially DSD. I spoke to the engineer there, and he admitted this was a limitation of the design, but told me they hoped to rectify this at some point in the future.

I may need a toslink again for a new hookup, so I’ll try out the Lifatec again; I did prefer its sound to the Sys Concept.

May 25, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #3,861 of 6,712
In agreement with MagnusH - I use the Lifatec as well with a Mac Mini and the Hugo2. I am able to get 24/192 and DSD64.

Phew! Actually Ive just made an order of the lifatec toslink and its reaching jakarta as of now, should be delivered in one or two days now after getting through customs. Currently running my old EMK optical and it clips regularly when running 24/96 out of my MBP. Looking forward forward for the lifatec. @jwbrent you have scared me for a bit there regarding the lifatec not able to handle 24/192

May 25, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #3,862 of 6,712
I`ve upgraded to Hugo TT2, so if anybody wants Qutest - mine is for sale at trade forums.

@Ragnar-BY How much of a difference compared to your qutest?! I was originally intended to purchase the TT2 to run as a preamp in my system before deciding to ditched the preamp/amp combo and just went with an integrated. All the best with the qutest sale. It should be gone in no time!

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #3,863 of 6,712
How much of a difference compared to your qutest?! I was originally intended to purchase the TT2 to run as a preamp in my system before deciding to ditched the preamp/amp combo and just went with an integrated.
Well, I`ve bought Hugo TT2 and M Scaler, so this fight was not fair from the start. Even without M Scaler TT2 is really good. It is a better DAC and for head-fier it is also an outstanding amp. M Scaler sounds good with both units, but on TT2 it`s effect sounds like real magic. On the other hand, I must admit that Qutest is still a great DAC with a great value. This little brick is the most affordable ticket to the land of high-end DACs.

I would say that if you can afford TT2 - go for it. But if you don`t need headphone amp, pre-amp and full M Scaler magic - you can happily live with Qutest.

May 25, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #3,864 of 6,712
you have scared me for a bit there regarding the lifatec not able to handle 24/192

Yes, I messed up writing that. I had forgotten how long it had been since I owned the Lifatec cable when it couldn’t handle 24/192. After my post, I realized it had been six years since I owned this toslink, so my apologies. I really am happy to hear it can transmit 24/192 since it sounds excellent.

May 25, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #3,865 of 6,712
Well, I`ve bought Hugo TT2 and M Scaler, so this fight was not fair from the start. Even without M Scaler TT2 is really good. It is a better DAC and for head-fier it is also an outstanding amp. M Scaler sounds good with both units, but on TT2 it`s effect sounds like real magic. On the other hand, I must admit that Qutest is still a great DAC with a great value. This little brick is the most affordable ticket to the land of high-end DACs.

I would say that if you can afford TT2 - go for it. But if you don`t need headphone amp, pre-amp and full M Scaler magic - you can happily live with Qutest.

@Ragnar-BY thanks for the detailed explanation regarding TT2 / Qutest. Ive been wanting M Scaler, but I should ease on the audio spending for now, maybe an addition of the m scaler to the qutest next year. Quite happy with the setup Im running now. Just breaking in the diablo 300, waiting for a proper separated grounding to be installed, installing an isolation transformer in between the main ac and main room receptacle, and the lifatec optical as the icing on the cake.

May 25, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,866 of 6,712
Yes, I messed up writing that. I had forgotten how long it had been since I owned the Lifatec cable when it couldn’t handle 24/192. After my post, I realized it had been six years since I owned this toslink, so my apologies. I really am happy to hear it can transmit 24/192 since it sounds excellent.

No worries at all. Looking forward to install the lifatec in my system once the int amp breaking in is done.

May 26, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #3,867 of 6,712
No worries at all. Looking forward to install the lifatec in my system once the int amp breaking in is done.

As a person who despises the sheer lunacy in hearing a difference in cables...I can hear a difference in SOME cables. Which is why I bought the lifatec. Worth it.

May 26, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #3,870 of 6,712
You may want to look at the output of gryphon cd player or dac.
You may want to look at the output of gryphon cd player or dac.

Smart suggestion! Actually the diablo 300 dac single ended output documented at 2,15V which makes sense since I did changed the output on the qutest at 2V yesterday and I thought it sounded the best. And this fact confirms it. At 3V the sound gets distorted and at 1V it sounded too weak I had to crank the diablo way up. Thanks @dac64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back