Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #3,826 of 6,736
The qutest is so good the only possible upgrade is apparently magic rocks and bricks. As heavy as the qutest is it doesn't need anything sitting on top of it. Or special feet. Or any other lunacy.

This is all the kind of thing that give the lot of us bad names everywhere else in audio. It disappoints me every time I read it.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #3,827 of 6,736
The qutest is so good the only possible upgrade is apparently magic rocks and bricks. As heavy as the qutest is it doesn't need anything sitting on top of it. Or special feet. Or any other lunacy.

This is all the kind of thing that give the lot of us bad names everywhere else in audio. It disappoints me every time I read it.

Jesus Christ, get over it already

May 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #3,828 of 6,736

Here's a crazy idea. XLR interconnects and common mode rejection :)

May 23, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #3,829 of 6,736
Jesus Christ, get over it already

Yeah tell ME to be quiet while people push a product literally called "the magic brick" for three HUNDRED dollars. That offends me to my core and I'm going to say so. Don't really care what you think.

May 23, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3,831 of 6,736

To each his own ...

May 23, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #3,832 of 6,736
AFAIK Ted Smith throws away the clock info of the incoming data and reconstructs the packets through pattern matching to eliminate source jitter.

Does the Qutest do something similar? I'm asking since I'm wondering whether a separate reclocker will make sense with the Qutest.

May 23, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #3,833 of 6,736
May 23, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #3,834 of 6,736
May 24, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #3,835 of 6,736

Indeed. Most important part:

The measurements shown earlier in this thread and the Hugo 2 thread show zero measurable noise floor modulation and zero source and master clock jitter aberrations

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to the measurements? I tried using the search function, but without luck.

May 24, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,836 of 6,736
May 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #3,837 of 6,736
Question about qutest output volt, if my amp’s input sensitivity is lower than qutest’s lowest output volt (at 0,617v) what are the solutions? Or i just have to suck it up and go with qutest’s lowest setting at 1V? Or is there any workaround it? @Rob Watts Thanks in advance Rob.

May 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,838 of 6,736
Question about qutest output volt, if my amp’s input sensitivity is lower than qutest’s lowest output volt (at 0,617v) what are the solutions? Or i just have to suck it up and go with qutest’s lowest setting at 1V? Or is there any workaround it? @Rob Watts Thanks in advance Rob.
What amp are you using. If even 1v is hot for it then you need to invest in good preamp.

May 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #3,839 of 6,736

It also depends on how your amp sensitivity is specified and what it means by "0.617v". Does it state 0.617v as being the input for a certain output?

Problems arise when an input voltage is too high for the amp sensitivity and then the volume control only has a small operating zone before the volume of the music becomes too loud. Also a too high an input voltage can cause the preamp stages to 'clip' and cause distortion (this is usually easy to hear and is often quite nasty).

However, in the great scheme of things, 0.6v is not all that different to 1v and I would say there is a good chance you will be OK with that.

Others may have a more detailed response if you can say what amp you are using.

May 24, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,840 of 6,736
A question while we re on the subject of amplifier input sensitivity: my amplifiers input sensitivity is 150mV but what I notice is that from the headphone out the highest volume setting I can listen at is about 9.5 position. Through my speakers I can go up to 12 . Could this mean that I need to use a different output setting for my Qutest when I listen through headphones? Output impedance is 1V/210 Ohm. I do feel that my volume control has a very small operting zone. I use the 2V setting

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back