Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #3,391 of 6,736
I ll be in Tokyo in a few weeks and looking forward to checking out Akihabara, thank you for the info :)

Enjoy Yabadoshi man. I definitely did. So much stuff to look at.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #3,392 of 6,736
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #3,394 of 6,736
I hadn't gotten around to trying the different voltage settings till now. I set it to 3v and it works so much better in my system, now I am not going over 12 oclock on my preamp and seems to have more impact. I love the various settings on the Qutest!!

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,395 of 6,736
Anyone know whats best of connecting imac or ipad to the dac?

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #3,398 of 6,736
I have to agree with this. I tried all the inputs and I have to say optical sounds the best for me. I've done also tests by removing all the other inputs and observed no difference from the case all were connected. Anyway I tried a good optical cable with a decent coax and I would say that both sound very close but the optical has a slightly better precision. I know that everyone recommends the coax, but it seems, at least for me, that the optical connection was the best choice.

Cables from the picture below are:

1) Optical - QED Reference Quartz 1m
2) USB - QED Reference USB 3m (PC is under the table)
3) Coax BNC/RCA - Megaptera 1m (https://megapteracables.wixsite.com/megapteracables/digital-cables) - this is a handmade cable
4) Interconnects RCA/RCA - Chord Clearway 1m

aav3dir.jpg

PS. Qutest is powered by a linear power supply, USB is filtered with ISO Regen, mains are filtered by a Furman power conditioner and all cables are shielded. Maybe this also helps or at least minimizes the differences between inputs.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #3,399 of 6,736
Quartz footers. When magic rocks are sold out. You should plan a vacation to the american midwest and get a shaman to breathe on it too. Extra special magic.

For the life of me I don't understand the people in this hobby sometimes.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #3,400 of 6,736
Quartz footers. When magic rocks are sold out. You should plan a vacation to the american midwest and get a shaman to breathe on it too. Extra special magic.

For the life of me I don't understand the people in this hobby sometimes.

As long as you can accept that your lack of understanding does not in any way invalidate either the choices or the people that make them, each to their own

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #3,401 of 6,736
As long as you can accept that your lack of understanding does not in any way invalidate either the choices or the people that make them, each to their own

Liking the way they look would be a valid opinion I could understand, even if I disagreed. Believing they affect sound quality is foolish.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #3,402 of 6,736
Believing they affect sound quality is foolish.

Jumping to conclusion before one listens to it actually makes him look more foolish. Hey, whatever rocks your boat.

:ksc75smile:

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #3,404 of 6,736
Yeah, surely I'm the foolish one.

Hmm. Let's see.
  • Randomly shooting off people with sarcasm over things that he has not tried before - checked
  • Gets defensive when pointed out that his lack of understanding over the subject matter - checked
  • Plays victim when pointed out that he still has not actually listen to the effects of the accessories he criticized randomly - checked
Yup, I guess you should be feeling rather foolish now. Moving on then...

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #3,405 of 6,736
Primarily they are for the Hugo M Scaler. And let's hope for a cheaper version from Chord and maybe 704/768 kHz input from other devices?

Funny, I just asked Rob if a less expensive version was in the works, unfortunately it’s not in the works, too expensive to manufacture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back