Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #3,212 of 6,736
Has anyone experienced difficulty getting an upstream USB filter to work with the Qutest?
I plugged my Uptone ISO Regen into the signal path and the Qutest disappeared from Windoze.

I had to reboot the IsoRegen several times before my system connected to it.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #3,215 of 6,736
Will be picking up my brand new Qutest tomorrow! YAY! Can't wait! :)

When you sit back in your chair tomorrow and press play...

giphy.gif

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #3,216 of 6,736
Picked up my brand new unit this morning and listening to it now. The sound is so amazing!

Only about 30 mins in now and haven't even play around with the different filters (so still with the incisive neutral filter) and I must say that I am really in love with the sound!!!

Thanks for designing such a great dac @Rob Watts! ! Keep them coming!! I'm definitely a Chord fan NOW (was not impressed with an earlier dac before) ! LOL

Ps. How can I set the sample rate to 768kHz with usb? Atm, the highest I can choose is 384kHz. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #3,217 of 6,736
Picked up my brand new unit this morning and listening to it now. The sound is so amazing!

Only about 30 mins in now and haven't even play around with the different filters (so still with the incisive neutral filter) and I must say that I am really in love with the sound!!!

Thanks for designing such a great dac @Rob Watts! ! Keep them coming!! I'm definitely a Chord fan NOW (was not impressed with an earlier dac before) ! LOL
Nice to hear, what dac you had before?

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #3,218 of 6,736
Anyone come from using any of the Schiit DACs to a Qutest?

I’ve got a Schiit Bifrost Multibit and I’m thinking of selling and getting a Qutest. I had a nice audition with a Qutest at a HiFi store, but it’s different than actually owning and living with one for a while in your home.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #3,219 of 6,736

Ps. How can I set the sample rate to 768kHz with usb? Atm, the highest I can choose is 384kHz. Thanks!

Dont upsample before the dac let Qutest do all the work.

Use Chord ASIO driver and send bitperfect from your player.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #3,223 of 6,736
I reported some weeks back that the ISO Regen was not improving my Qutest. Well, it seems that everything depends also on the cables. I changed the RCA interconnects to Chord Clearway and tried again the ISO Regen. Now it seems, even if I power it with a normal power supply, that it adds some improvement. But the overall sound presentation is much darker. Maybe because the RF noise adds brightness? Anyway, I will continue to try it several hours. Has anyone tried it with the Ultracap LPS and can say if there is such a major improvement over a normal switching power supply?

KkYORTR.jpg

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,224 of 6,736
I reported some weeks back that the ISO Regen was not improving my Qutest. Well, it seems that everything depends also on the cables. I changed the RCA interconnects to Chord Clearway and tried again the ISO Regen. Now it seems, even if I power it with a normal power supply, that it adds some improvement. But the overall sound presentation is much darker. Maybe because the RF noise adds brightness? Anyway, I will continue to try it several hours. Has anyone tried it with the Ultracap LPS and can say if there is such a major improvement over a normal switching power supply?

KkYORTR.jpg
Generally these things shouldn't change sound to warm... It should sound smoother though. Also these decrapifiers highlight cables sound so much. Do you runing copper cable from regen to Qutest?

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #3,225 of 6,736
So just choose the 44/48Khz option on the computer??

Best is to find a way of the computer outputting the file at exactly the same resolution as the music file or streamed file in the case of Qobuz or similar. for instance I have a variety of 44.1, 48, 96 and 192kHz files on my server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back