Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 17, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,612 of 6,736
However Qutest and M-Scaler is said to be better than DAVE. What more can I say?

Who says that again?

Having experimented heavily with many software and hardware based upsampling in past, it is difficult for me to believe the M-Scaler would bring $4500 worth of sonic improvements, especially since my Qutest only costs $1900. Keeping an open-mind, I would encourage Chord to trickle-down this tech and launch a more affordable M-Scaler Mini in future after they recoup the R&D costs after selling a bunch of M-Scalers..

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,614 of 6,736
What are the actual dB differences between the different output voltages? I swear that I saw something posted by Rob on this but I can't find it?

2v is 3.5 dB down on 3v, and 1v is 9.5 dB down on 3v.

Who says that again?

Having experimented heavily with many software and hardware based upsampling in past, it is difficult for me to believe the M-Scaler would bring $4500 worth of sonic improvements, especially since my Qutest only costs $1900. Keeping an open-mind, I would encourage Chord to trickle-down this tech and launch a more affordable M-Scaler Mini in future after they recoup the R&D costs after selling a bunch of M-Scalers..

You can't get an assessment on the sound of the M scaler based upon other implementations, as they are not WTA. There is no point in increasing tap length using conventional filters - some only have thousands of near zero coefficients, which is completely useless, and no indication of what an M scaler will sound like.

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #2,615 of 6,736
Who says that again?

Everyone says that! Try reading the M-Scaler thread.

The last three posts in the TT2 thread covered this very topic.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,616 of 6,736
So,are there any other fellow members using Poweradd Pilot Pro2 with positive results,after all these months of different conclusions?I am thinking of trying one,if there are!

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,617 of 6,736
Bought Qutest today. Outstanding sound. I`m so excited to listen to my music at a new level.

@Rob Watts , sorry if it`s not the time this question asked. I assume it`s safe to leave Qutest on 24/7. But I`m using it with my laptop and frequently laptop is not on the table. Is it safe to just plug/unplug Qutest USB cable from a laptop without turning Qutest off? Should I turn it off before unplugging USB, or it would be ok just to change input to empty input? Or this doesn't matter at all?

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,618 of 6,736
Yes as far as Qutest is concerned, you may simply pull the plug on it. It's the lap-top that needs correct disconnection, not Qutest, but simply powering down the lap-top then removing the USB cable will be best for that.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #2,620 of 6,736
How would a Qutest sound with HMS vs a DAVE without HMS? Is the qutest combo going to be better?

I have not seen a conclusive answer to this and I think there is probably a good reason for that. The reason DAVE sounds so good is not entirely just to do with taps. Every element in DAVE is optimised and I imagine the best available at the time of design. So although MScaler and Qutest will have far more taps, the other elements will not be as good as DAVE. How this balances out in a listening test probably makes it difficult to clearly say one is better than the other. I suspect some will prefer Qutest plus MScaler while others will prefer DAVE alone.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,622 of 6,736
How would a Qutest sound with HMS vs a DAVE without HMS? Is the qutest combo going to be better?

Well I can safely say, as far as Qutest on its own versus with M Scaler connected the difference with well recorded material and 16/44.1 in particular is HUGE imho!
I had big problems adjusting to Qutest on its own after having auditioned M Scaler.
Such big problems in fact that I have now surrendered.
There was no going back for me.
But M Scaler+ Dave is probably as good as digital currently gets.
And the analogue section of course matters too.
I have heard nothing better so far.
But I have not heard the latest from dCS.
But Qutest +M Scaler is so good to my ears with rbcd material that this "old dog is learning to sit".

I basically knew the potential of m-scaling already since last winter via DAVE /BLU 2 and now I can not only enjoy 16/44.1 with Qutest and M Scaler but will have a couple of hundred of SACDs to rip the cd layer from back home. And I have already rippped over ten classical cds from friends here that all now sound surprisingly good.
But did not before.

Yesterday I even bought the latest issue of BBC Music magazine which came bundled with Messiaen's "Quator pour le fin de Temps."
Entirely new possibilites to enjoy recordings I ignored before,are opening up for me it seems.

With all other dacs including Qutest on its own I have not really been able to enjoy rbcd 16/44.1 recorded classical music as I can now with M Scaler.
And although it's been a while since I heard DAVE on its own, good as it was and still is, my memory of rbcd material via DAVE is not as favourable as m-scaled with Qutest.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back