Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #5,342 of 6,736
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #5,345 of 6,736
Will Chord release a newer and cheaper dac, or lower Qutest price, now that denafrips offers sucha much better dac like the ARES 2 for almost half the price of the Quetest?

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #5,346 of 6,736
Dont know about the Ares 2 being better, but Chord usually announce new products around now. An updated Qutest would be nice...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #5,348 of 6,736
Will Chord release a newer and cheaper dac, or lower Qutest price, now that denafrips offers sucha much better dac like the ARES 2 for almost half the price of the Quetest?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I could not bear to have the Ares 2 in my Qutest system when it was loaned to me by a friend. The friend sold the Ares 2 soon after hearing it compared to the Quest at my house . . . .

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #5,349 of 6,736
Already is a Qutest update ...
it’s called MScaler .... 😃

Yeah I have that upgrade already 🙂
All I want from a QutestPlus is the same Qutest form factor and connections, same number of taps, but a much better WTA2 stage and standard robust barrel style 12v DC power connection.

Then it would make a better pairing with the MScaler. Seems a waste to get a TT2 just for its WTA2 stage and never use its taps and all of those inputs which the MScaler replaces...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #5,350 of 6,736
You get a headphone out with the TT2 as well ? ..
seriously though I like Chord’s approach, The R&D costs go into the high end products like Dave plus Blue Mk2 ...
don’t need a CD drive ? Dave plus MScaler ..
not overly endowed with $$ TT2 with an MScaler as an upgrade path..
less endowed still but just want a “no frills” DAC with that Chord sound ? Qutest with an MScaler upgrade path ..
“Trickle down” technology, once you realise that for the cost of a Qutest you get, depending on opinion, xx% sound of the Dave it‘s no longer expensive,
it’s a bargain..

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #5,351 of 6,736
Yeah I have that upgrade already 🙂
All I want from a QutestPlus is the same Qutest form factor and connections, same number of taps, but a much better WTA2 stage and standard robust barrel style 12v DC power connection.

Then it would make a better pairing with the MScaler. Seems a waste to get a TT2 just for its WTA2 stage and never use its taps and all of those inputs which the MScaler replaces...
I wouldn´t mind the same as you but I am pretty sure it won´t happen.
Chord wants to sell you TT2 and have in the past shown little or no interest in providing any freebies.

During my direct A/B comparisons via good headphones like HD 800, HEKV2, Utopia and Susvara beween TT2/HMS and Qutest/HMS with high quaility headphone amps for Qutest I came to the conclusion that the huge price difference involved was simply not justified for me since I already have several high quality headphone amps.

Imho Qutest/HMS and in my case Wave Storm or Stream is already very good, but ideally I would like to have DAVE/HMS or better SQ with the same form factor and price as Qutest /HMS.
To me TT2 is not really a dac I´d buy now unless I get one VERY cheaply.
And on its own I wouldn´t buy it at all.
Like with all Chord Dacs and I´ve said so repeatedly, HMS is absolutely essential!
Or even Dave on its own,which is getting old and is still overpriced, again imho.

Tempt me with 40 elements and say 2 M taps and SQ without even a trace of digital.

As close as technically possible transparency with acoustic music material is the ultimate goal for me.

Back on Qutest,yes the flimsy little usb power connection is very irritating and a real pain while travelling with it and having to unplug it regularly.
Only one set of RCA out is cheeky to say the least.My old Benchmark DAC 2 HGC has got no less than 5 sets of RCA connections plus one balanced, and cost roughly the same as my Qutest.
OK Qutest/HMS is a better dac combo
But unless my memory fails me,the headphone amp in it has got better SNR than the one in TT2?
PS. After this long rant I have to admit I am quite happy with my Qutest/HMS both via headphones and via my big speaker based HIFI system.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #5,352 of 6,736
I tried a DAVE, technically perfect, but I didn't like it as the soundstage was way too set back for my liking. I now have the qutest. Works better for me in the fact that everything is somewhat more upfront and vocals have presence (slightly more forward?).

I do find it a more darker sounding DAC than the DAVE though, the highs are also somewhat recessed, and this decreases it's realism IMO. I use the incisive neutral filter and Oyaide Tunami Terzo RR v2 and Sablon 2020 USB.

I previously found the tonal balance of the Yggy about perfect, but the noise floor of that DAC was not good enough for me.

Any tips on how to tune the qutest to my taste - upsampling, use spdif instead of USB, external linear power supply? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #5,354 of 6,736
Any tips on how to tune the qutest to my taste - upsampling, use spdif instead of USB, external linear power supply? Any thoughts?
Sablon USB is perfect.
A really good power supply improves.

However the revelation I have had this year is that player/streamer and also he network improvements upstream from the player have a profound effect on the sound.
Look into linear supplies on all network devices and something like the Uptone EtherRegen for Ethernet connections and look into an optical ethernet connection to your player streamer.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #5,355 of 6,736
Yesterday I received the Sbooster with the MKII ultra adapter for my Qutest. After reading both this thread and the LPS thread for the Qutest I have to say that I’m a little confused. I was under the impression that this would be a minor upgrade at best. The differences I am hearing are substantial. As with most power supply upgrades the improvements are not in one particular area but across-the-board. Keep In mind that I’m using a highly resolving headphone system. Eddie Current ZDS OTL with ZMF Vérité closed headphones, WyWire platinum headphone cable along with acoustics zen silver reference II IC cables, with a less resolving system the results may not be as substantial. As I said, the improvements are across-the-board with an improvement in soundstage depth, separation and a noticeable improvement in the high frequency extension. The most dramatic change is in the bass. I would not say more bass but clearly better controlled and defined. The only complaint I had about my system was that on certain recordings the bass could get a little loose and that is no longer the case with the Sbooster. Purchasing this from upscale audio they let me know that Chord has contacted them and told them that they do not recommend using the Sbooster with a Qutest. I am very curious as to why? I know Rob reads this thread so maybe he can answer directly, maybe there is a technical reason but regarding sound quality the improvement is substantial and dramatic in my system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back