Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #5,011 of 6,736
Hi,

That sounds like a great idea. I haven't messed with the audio settings in Windows before. It looks like that is something you do in each application so I will have to mess around with it and see if I can find a program that gives me that option. It would be nice if this was a global change for all of Windows though. Again, my inexperience is showing here!

Thanks!

Good luck, it’s always a drag when a new audio toy doesn’t work as it should. My reaction when that happens ... :weary:

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #5,012 of 6,736
Hi all,

I've had a Qutest for a few weeks now and I'm having an issue with the USB driver, I think. I get pops and clicks all of the time! I've had that with other DACs once in a while when my computer gets busy, maybe once every other day. The Qutest is popping away constantly, like every 5-10 minutes. I've rebooted the computer and I have numerous programs that are always open (my work computer) so I can't really change too much.

Has anyone had the same issues and found a solution? At first I thought it was just Audacious but I've heard it while watching Youtube videos. I might have to try other programs but it's never been much of an issue with other DACs so who knows.

Thanks!

Yeah I think it's what ra990 said. Using Direct Sound driver with Chord DACs in the way past caused pops and clicks for me. Moving to bit-perfect cured it.

If you don't have a media player that runs bit-perfect, then maybe trial one. JRiver has a month trial, and that's what I bought after trialling it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #5,013 of 6,736
Hi all,

I've had a Qutest for a few weeks now and I'm having an issue with the USB driver, I think. I get pops and clicks all of the time! I've had that with other DACs once in a while when my computer gets busy, maybe once every other day. The Qutest is popping away constantly, like every 5-10 minutes. I've rebooted the computer and I have numerous programs that are always open (my work computer) so I can't really change too much.

Has anyone had the same issues and found a solution? At first I thought it was just Audacious but I've heard it while watching Youtube videos. I might have to try other programs but it's never been much of an issue with other DACs so who knows.

Thanks!
What USB cable are you using? Surprising how often that turns out to be the culprit.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #5,014 of 6,736
What USB cable are you using? Surprising how often that turns out to be the culprit.
I'm just using the cable that came with the Qutest. I ordered a cable that should connect my Qutest to my Fiio M11 to see how well that DAC mode works. I also ordered some BNC cables/adapters but I'd still like my PC to work since that is my main source. I've just got to figure out this bit perfect stuff. I think that will do it. My thanks to everyone who gave me great advice here!

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #5,017 of 6,736
Hugo 2 and Pro iDSD are both DACs and Amps. Qutest is just a DAC. So, if you buy Qutest you also need to purchase and Amp.

Hugo 2 is a mobile device with a battery. iDSD is a desktop device.

So, the first question is how are you going to use it?

I have a portable DAC I use as a desktop amp. And I need a DAC+AMP combo, so Qutest is out.

So I guess between idsd and hugo 2. Which one?

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #5,021 of 6,736
I have never heard the idsd,

If you are not going to use the Hugo 2 as a mobile device. Get the Qutest and a separate headphone amp. The advantage is you can better match your amp to your headphones.

Have always found that a tricky area. I always felt, if you have no use for a headphone amp/port, always buy the Qutest.

If you did want a headphone port, then the decision becomes trickier. I bought Hugo 2 for direct headphones access to the native sound. However I upgraded with TT2 because I felt overall it was the right option all round.

There was a problem for me with having Hugo 2 on RCA duty and headphone duty. That was always remembering to turn the Hugo 2 volume down, before attaching headphones. A few times I blasted me ears with high volume. Once I plugged in some IEMs to Hugo 2, but forgot to put them in my ears. (Must have started doing something else.) Anyway when I eventually picked up my IEMS I found they had been running with Hugo 2 at line out volume. No idea how they survived, but I guess they must have been high volume capable with ease.

In my opinion Chord should make two versions of the Hugo 2. The version we have. Then another specific desktop version without batteries. One that has separate volume memories for RCA and headphone ports, like the TT2 does.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #5,022 of 6,736
In my opinion Chord should make two versions of the Hugo 2. The version we have. Then another specific desktop version without batteries. One that has separate volume memories for RCA and headphone ports, like the TT2 does.
The problem there is if you take away the batteries you remove the noise isolation. You can use super capacitors instead, but then you are back to the TT2.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #5,023 of 6,736
The problem there is if you take away the batteries you remove the noise isolation. You can use super capacitors instead, but then you are back to the TT2.

I think was mentioned on the thread, but this is a good interview with Rob (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rob-watts-of-chord-electronics/id1332323668?i=1000479531934). He discusses the challenge of building mobile devices given you have limited amounts of power to use. I have not heard the Hugo 2, but in Darko's review, he compared them directly and believe the Qutest sounds better. If you have noisy mains IFI sells a "clean" wall wart or you can run the Qutest off the same kind of lithium-ion power hub you use to charge your phone or laptop.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #5,024 of 6,736
I think was mentioned on the thread, but this is a good interview with Rob (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rob-watts-of-chord-electronics/id1332323668?i=1000479531934). He discusses the challenge of building mobile devices given you have limited amounts of power to use. I have not heard the Hugo 2, but in Darko's review, he compared them directly and believe the Qutest sounds better. If you have noisy mains IFI sells a "clean" wall wart or you can run the Qutest off the same kind of lithium-ion power hub you use to charge your phone or laptop.
My Qutest runs off LPS with super capacitors, so I guess the comparison should be with the TT2, but you can't compare them directly as one is a pure DAC and the other a DAC/Amp. It is not only the power source that differs.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #5,025 of 6,736
My Qutest runs off LPS with super capacitors, so I guess the comparison should be with the TT2, but you can't compare them directly as one is a pure DAC and the other a DAC/Amp. It is not only the power source that differs.

It all depends on your use case.

If you want just a DAC and nothing but the DAC - get the Qutest.

If you want a DAC, a battery, and a portable amp get the Hugo 2.

If you want a DAC, a power supply, a pre-amp, and a desktop headphone amplifier get the TT2.

And, if you want to obsess over each component in your chain and argue on forums about power supplies or cables, buy the Qutest and join Head-Fi. If you want experts to make those decisions for you, buy the Hugo 2 or Hugo 2 TT.

I bought the Qutest because half-the-fun is obsessing over the details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back