Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #4,246 of 6,736
IMO you have probably missed an exceptional secondhand deal. Who would sell a used Dave for €2k?
TBH I don't think there is a huge secondhand market for fake Daves...

I actually got in touch with the guy (couldn't help myself, was feeling cantankerous!) and exchanged some chit-chat. When I asked why, he said he was selling it cheap as he wanted to buy a new pair of speakers quickly, and it hadn’t sold at a higher price. He said he could take a photo of himself with his family so I knew it was legit (!). I countered with can you take a photo of yourself next to Dave, holding a bill or official letter that clearly features your address and the serial number of the Dave, before I make payment?
He went completely quiet after that.
Funny that........ :wink:
Hope there’s nobody out there that actually falls for this.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #4,249 of 6,736
Screenshot_2019-09-26-21-22-59.png

See.. who believes this?

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,250 of 6,736
Nobody will sell Dave at that price. I would say if you find a 2nd hand unit around 6K you are lucky.
I agree. No secondhand Dave will go for less than 4-6K. And even with a 4-6K deal you can count yourself lucky.
No good Dave will sell under 6k IMO.
TT2 at 4K is an exceptional deal IMO...

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,252 of 6,736

Hi ppl.
Recently joined the Qutest team!
Acquired myself one used for 1025 euros.
And tried feeding my HD800 straight out using digital volume in foobar. Have A-B with Mojo. And i can confirm that the analog stage of Qutest is more than capable of driving a 300ohm load.
And oh i like the transparency over Mojo!
I do guess adding an extra cap close to the 5v power inlet would give benefit cause of the more current being drawn specially for the peaks.
I'm also sure it works better with high impedance HP over low ones, its just the law of ohm: power is voltage x current and higher impedance use less current for the same power, so better for the op stage.

This may make for a good PC gaming setup. Can you control the volume natively in Windows 10?

I enjoyed the gaming sound effects the Mojo produced, but Mojo or Hugo2 not really practical for this use case.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,253 of 6,736
I used to own a Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 but it didn't get along well with my previous systems and I decided to sell the Yggy and kept the Qutest. I'm thinking about buying a Dave to replace the Qutest or keep the Qutest and buy a Hugo MScaler. I want to ask if any of you have chance to compare the MScaler + Qutest to the standalone Dave?

Have you thought about TT2? Some seem to be saying that that has surpassed Dave.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,254 of 6,736
Windows mixer should just work as long your game doesnt make use of wasapi and dont have its own volume control.
Qutest uses the same win driver as Mojo
If u can change volume in windows with Mojo connected then im sure with Qutest it works.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #4,255 of 6,736
Nice first post. :)
I wouldn't forget the TT2. TT2 with MSC is said to be better than Dave alone. Qutest with MSC vs. TT2 alone is a matter of debate.
All I can say is that my TT2 absolutely slaughters Qutest paired with any amps. (And I did love my Qutest with the Taurus MKII.)

Have you thought about TT2? Some seem to be saying that that has surpassed Dave.
I would contact the dealer in my region if they have the TT2 + MScaler and Dave to make comparison :D

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,256 of 6,736
This may make for a good PC gaming setup. Can you control the volume natively in Windows 10?

I enjoyed the gaming sound effects the Mojo produced, but Mojo or Hugo2 not really practical for this use case.

I'm wondering if the Qutest is actually suited for gaming. I tried a Dragonfly Black once and found the delay between video and audio very distracting. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Qutest exhibits even mor lag due to the more complex filtering.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #4,257 of 6,736
I'm wondering if the Qutest is actually suited for gaming. I tried a Dragonfly Black once and found the delay between video and audio very distracting. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Qutest exhibits even mor lag due to the more complex filtering.

Yes Qutest is fine for gaming, and there is no delay. I have used Mojo, Qutest, and Hugo 2 for gaming. Qutest rocks for gaming by the way. Gun sounds the whole deal all sound brilliant on the Qutest. The clarity does a lot for making outdoor scenes feel like you are in fresh air. Compared to my Meridian Explorer which sounded a bit muggy.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,258 of 6,736
The delay isnt much. Have compared with my Questyle DAC (which has a AKM chip) and with direct AB test with a switch i dont notice it. I also watched movies with it with lipsync replay (on Jriver)

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #4,259 of 6,736
I've followed the general consensus on here and switched over from usb to optical input on my Qutest. I bought a QED glass cable thinking I could take advantage of the 192KHz capabilities. I am shocked to discover that despite my computer being able to transmit a 192KHz file, Qutest's optical input maxes out at 96KHz. Even Dave has the same limitation but TT² can manage 192KHz that matches the cable. I'm disappointed.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #4,260 of 6,736
I've followed the general consensus on here and switched over from usb to optical input on my Qutest. I bought a QED glass cable thinking I could take advantage of the 192KHz capabilities. I am shocked to discover that despite my computer being able to transmit a 192KHz file, Qutest's optical input maxes out at 96KHz. Even Dave has the same limitation but TT² can manage 192KHz that matches the cable. I'm disappointed.
I had experience when a branded optical cable did not pass 176.4 and 192 kHz, and the Chinese noname worked without problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back