Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 15, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #4,141 of 6,736
What kind of amps are you all using with Qutest ?

I'm thinking of getting a few things, one potential item is an amp for TT2, but I'm not 100% sure yet, but what are you all using with your Qutests ?

Cheers

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4,143 of 6,736
Violectric V280

Is that just a headphone amp or can speakers be hooked up to it also ?

I never really specified in my post, but I'm mainly looking at amp's to drive speakers.

Cheers

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #4,146 of 6,736
Aug 15, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,148 of 6,736
Thanks, I loved the Qutest, but made the mistake(?) of demoing the TT2 and then kept thinking about it, so finally took the plunge. Both are fabulous pieces of kit at their respective price points.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #4,149 of 6,736

I'm thinking of getting a few things, one potential item is an amp for TT2, but I'm not 100% sure yet, but what are you all using with your Qutests ?

Cheers

I am using my Qutest with a Moon preamplifier and then a Moon power amplifier, driving large Tannoy Glenair 15 floorstanders. It sounds marvelous. I have tried using the Qutest with a passive amplifier only for volume control plus the power amplifier, but it sounds a bit dull to me, so I dropped this configuration.
But the TT2 has got a nice amplification and volume control and balanced XLR outputs (which I strongly miss with the Qutest and hope to be added in a future modification), so there should be absolutely no problem hooking it up directly into the power amplifier.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #4,150 of 6,736

Cheers
Exposure 3010S2 power with shunt type passive pre.

It is hugely transparent but that is not always good with old jazz recordings...

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #4,152 of 6,736
A fall like that could easily snap that flimsy micro USB *tongue’ off. Wish it had a standard dc barrel power input...

My BIGGEST complaint with the Qutest, having nothing to do with sound quality, is that flimsy micro USB jack for power input. It's a piece of junk, and it does not even require a fall to go bad and become intermittent. If Chord is listening, please replace it with something more reliable :triportsad:

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #4,153 of 6,736
My BIGGEST complaint with the Qutest, having nothing to do with sound quality, is that flimsy micro USB jack for power input. It's a piece of junk, and it does not even require a fall to go bad and become intermittent. If Chord is listening, please replace it with something more reliable :triportsad:

I totally agree!

I have put some blue tack around the micro usb port just to help stop bending and/or detaching from the port. It's beyond me why it's done that way for a product costing close to $2K

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #4,155 of 6,736
[edited]
Taking an impartial engineers design viewpoint, there are two opposing approaches for dealing with users and sockets:
  1. You allocate the full responsibility for protecting owners from themselves, to Chord, who then need to use full size USB sockets, or power cable sockets
  2. Owners take 100% responsibility for their own gear, by ensuring that no excessive strain is placed on chord gear sockets
Several years of head-fi posts, have highlighted that not all owners can be trusted with Approach 2, so maybe Approach 1 is inevitable for future designs - simple to say, but there is an inevitable impact on circuit board layouts, component cost etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back